Mk2 prices on the up......

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

STUAW11

Mk2 prices on the up......

Post by STUAW11 »

Been looking at second hand prices recently and appears prices for tidy ones are on the way up...which is good :)

Any views on this...
87 T-Bar Manual Supercharger
98 T-Bar Rev5 Sonic Shadow
aussieGT

Re: Mk2 prices on the up......

Post by aussieGT »

Wel the asking prices may be up, but you don't really know what they actually change hands for. (unless you really know of course)
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Following suite of the other jdm 90's cars - I remember a few years ago the mk1 scooby being giveaways....now look they are massive money. Same with supra, skyline, pulsar etc. The mr2 has to follow!
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

Just got a mint '96 rev3 UK car for 3/4 of a grand. Passed the MOT first try with 2 advisories for front tyres.

So that's a uk rev 3 for £750. If they were ever cheaper than that (and worth having) I must have missed that.

Hope the values are going up of course, yet to see it.

There were simialr rumblings in the mx5 community recently, but all facts pointed to decent cars still being had for under £1000 in the last 12 months.

Having said that, in the few years I've been away from the mr2s, the turbos seem to have gained value.

Pulsars just got so rare that only import companies were selling them so the price was suddenly £6k, back in 2011 had a rougher example but in full working order for 2k. Evos were never uber cheap but went from 3k to 7k+ in what seemed like a single year. Even the little lotus elise, had a mate got one for 4k back in the day, now they are 10k for a mk1.

There are just too many mr2s for them to become rare any time soon. Don't see anywhere near as many on the roads as you used to mind. Some of the old forums seem to have died or slowed down a huge amount.

Is this the moment they start to gain value? .... no. maybe the now??? err, no. Oh well best keep waiting, or better still using it as a car and not caring what the resell value is.
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

Rev3+ Turbo is being advertised for more. But probably a supply and demand thing and not due to desirability(on a wider scale). You need both to really appreciate vehicle value.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Depends on spec it is really. Out of the UK cars, Rev5 Cosmos Blue and Sonic Shadows in good condition do the best, simply because they are rarer, sought after colours. I've been offered £3k for my '99 Rev5 Sonic. Don't want to sell it though!
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

I think the turbos are really selling for more. The n/a cars are in abundance still so I think will struggle to rise in value.

Rev 3 turbos got as cheap as 1500 for a tired one at one point a few years ago. When I came to try and get another a year ago There were barely any for sale (and I was looking for many months).

The one I bought had an asking price of 2700 at that time and achieved close to that.

Now asking prices seem to be 3-6k for the Rev 3 on turbos. To be fair I think that's still good value for money.

At least the prices aren't getting ridiculous like with the 996 turbos. Those cars were getting cheap enough that I was considering one (4wd+rear seats - what's not to like :mrgreen: ) but in the last year or so have become stupid with some dealers asking 30-40k or more. For 40k you can buy the 997 turbo already. To me 40k for a 996 turbo is complete BS pricing :lol:
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

Yeah the rev3+ turbos do seem to be creaping up to the same value as the other similar aged boosted cars (evo, sti, pulsar etc) and so they should. Seen quite a few tired rev1/2 turbos for around the 2k mark recently.

Sad thing is that means people will stop breaking them so it will be harder to get a rear clip.. been looking for months and yet to see a rev3+ even come up.
mr2gooch

Price increase

Post by mr2gooch »

They do look to be on the rise for the right car.

I started looking for a rev3 on turbo and it had to be a t-bar and not a uk converted car about 15 months ago. I viewed 3 cars which were no good (two were rotten and one had low compression) before buying a higher Milage rev3 t-bar turbo off here as a stop gap till I found a lower Milage alternative. I'm still looking now lol!
wenguin

Post by wenguin »

Has anyone looked at prices in Japan to see if they are also on the rise?

I'll be out there for a year and have toyed with the idea of buying something and sending it back while I'm there, would definitely be worth looking at if I can save a considerable amount on UK prices (or at least get something in significantly better condition than your average UK car)
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Good ones are still strongly priced over there when converted to GBP, but I don't know how that sits with the domestic buyers. Have a look at Goo-net (like a JP Autotrader) to get an idea. A good Rev5 BEAMS costs more over there than a good Rev3 Turbo does here, for example.
wenguin

Post by wenguin »

Gazza_DJ wrote:Good ones are still strongly priced over there when converted to GBP, but I don't know how that sits with the domestic buyers. Have a look at Goo-net (like a JP Autotrader) to get an idea. A good Rev5 BEAMS costs more over there than a good Rev3 Turbo does here, for example.
Cheers, just had a look. The cheapest turbo with under 100k km (1994+) was £4k and the absolute cheapest was £1400

And then there's this 1995 turbo with rev5 spoiler and wheels and only 4000km. a man in dandism indeed at £11.5k!

http://www.goo-net-exchange.com/usedcar ... index.html
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

so glad I never sold mine a few years back!
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Prices in general of mk2's seem to be very high on ebay and autotrader.

I'd say stupidly high too.
UK rev1's listed at £3,000 WTF =;
ikarl

Post by ikarl »

JohnnyC wrote:Prices in general of mk2's seem to be very high on ebay and autotrader.

Not really, imho,....what other car compares to an MR2?

It's a bit of a niche car, mid engined, rwd, 2-seater that can carry a good amount of luggage for touring etc, and can still rock up at any track/b-road and keep you entertained for hours...

A Boxster maybe? And then how much are you spending?!

As a community, in a way, we determine how valuable our cars are. People may not value them in the same way, but over time the price 'asked for' becomes the acceptable price because that's the 'going rate'.

The one thing 'we' should never do is talk down the value of our awesome cars! :thumleft:
firebobby

Post by firebobby »

ikarl wrote:
JohnnyC wrote:Prices in general of mk2's seem to be very high on ebay and autotrader.

Not really, imho,....what other car compares to an MR2?

It's a bit of a niche car, mid engined, rwd, 2-seater that can carry a good amount of luggage for touring etc, and can still rock up at any track/b-road and keep you entertained for hours...

A Boxster maybe? And then how much are you spending?!

As a community, in a way, we determine how valuable our cars are. People may not value them in the same way, but over time the price 'asked for' becomes the acceptable price because that's the 'going rate'.

The one thing 'we' should never do is talk down the value of our awesome cars! :thumleft:

Here here, we should be pleased that our chosen mode of transport are starting to be valued for what they are :clap: :clap:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Rev3's comand a good shout of cash nowadays :thumleft:
uglee

Post by uglee »

Good ones seem to be fetching top money, starting to think I sold mine too cheap looking at the price of a decent turbo now.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

uglee wrote:Good ones seem to be fetching top money, starting to think I sold mine too cheap looking at the price of a decent turbo now.

:thumleft: .. few years ago i paid 300 for a 205 1.6 gti ... couple days ago my brother in law paid 1600 quid for one 8-[ ... if you know the market theres money to be made :thumleft:
drunknmunky

Post by drunknmunky »

pretty much anything 15 years old or more, and vaguely niche market are now going up, markets are on the up again. I still want another 2.8 Capri (had one as my first rwd car 12 yrs ago, tis what I learnt slideways in, wish I'd never sold it) but you can't get a good one of those for less than 6k nowadays.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”