Recommend me a mapper/sparky

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Black Light 93

Recommend me a mapper/sparky

Post by Black Light 93 »

I'm in need of a mapper/auto electrician to sort out my Link G4 Storm ECU.
The car needs some wiring to make the engine play nicely with the rest of the car and I need a new map in it as well becuase the current map is from a race mr2 so not really great for me driving it on the road.
So can anyone recommend me someone for the job?
Thanks
C35Rob

Re: Recommend me a mapper/sparky

Post by C35Rob »

EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
MR2 Turbo Boy

Post by MR2 Turbo Boy »

Hi bud,

I can ask a mate of mine... He's in Cadnam.... :thumleft:
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

Adrian at Fensport mapped mine, even though he doesn't officially map Link.

It pays to go to a Mapper with 3S-GTE knowledge not just knowledge of the ECU
Black Light 93

Post by Black Light 93 »

Thanks for the opinions so far.
I should say that the car is based up in Cambridge atm so anywhere near there is ideal although I can bring it back home to Southampton. Or any where within reasonable distance.

Yes if they have mr2 mapping experience that would be great.
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

Fensport every single time.

Adrian has a wealth of knowledge when mapping toyotas that nobody in the UK can even try compete with.

They are based in Chatteris, near March. It isn't too far from
Cambridge at all.

Its a 700mile round trip for me to get there. However, I wouldn't go anywhere else with mine.
'98 Rev5 Turbo (GEO 1S)

TOTB13 RWD 1/4mile 1st place
TOTB14 RWD 1/4mile 3rd place (Misfiring)
TOTB15 RWD 1/4mile 2nd place (HG Failure)
TOTB16 RWD 1/4mile 1st place
juliankv73

Post by juliankv73 »

Odin_S wrote:Adrian at Fensport mapped mine, even though he doesn't officially map Link.

That's how at to hear \:D/

Adrian mapped my old beastie and personally wouldn't go to anyone else (if I had another mr2 turbo lol)

Good news that he maps link too as we have the link on our v6, would be nice to have her mapped :-k :lol:
Willenium

Post by Willenium »

Anyone here used FC Tuning? Due to have a map with him on Saturday morning.
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

juliankv73 wrote:
Odin_S wrote:Adrian at Fensport mapped mine, even though he doesn't officially map Link.

That's how at to hear \:D/

Adrian mapped my old beastie and personally wouldn't go to anyone else (if I had another mr2 turbo lol)

Good news that he maps link too as we have the link on our v6, would be nice to have her mapped :-k :lol:

I wish I could show you guys a before and after of my car before Adrian map it.

Abbey Motorsport and Martin (can't remember his surname) top Nissan and Link mappers. The car ran like crap, making wish i hadn't rebuilt my engine. It's surprising what we take for granted when we running with OEM ecu

Mapping isn't only about maximum power safety from detonation, it's the car behaving itself in stop start traffic and normal driving.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Also +1 for Adrian at Fensport. Mapped mine with Motec M4. Was producing good boost with decent power, but after remap was producing much more power, and such a difference in throttle response on the same boost.
Rev1 Tubby, Garrett GT3071R, Motec M4 EMS, 880cc delphis, Rev3 turbo port polished built head/cams/titanium retainers, shim under buckets, HD springs, etc., rear bumper mounted intercooler, and vanilla air freshener.
Black Light 93

Post by Black Light 93 »

Seems like fensport is very popular then .
I have sent them an email so will see what they come back with.
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Adrian is away until the end of January I think.
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

does Adrian map the Apexi PFC?
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

Dale_V wrote:does Adrian map the Apexi PFC?

I won't say no for 100% but I don't think he has the software to do so... I know he has been asked before but may be worth a phonecall to ask.
'98 Rev5 Turbo (GEO 1S)

TOTB13 RWD 1/4mile 1st place
TOTB14 RWD 1/4mile 3rd place (Misfiring)
TOTB15 RWD 1/4mile 2nd place (HG Failure)
TOTB16 RWD 1/4mile 1st place
Willenium

Post by Willenium »

Well, mine has finally been done by FC Tuning but I'm a little dubious about the quality of the work. Got a fluctuating idle from cold/cooled down and the AFR is nudging just over 12:1 on the graph. Feels stronger but I'm sure I read somewhere that the 3S-GTE shouldn't be tuned above 11-11.5?

I'm going to contact the tuner and ask whether he can do anything about the idle.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

Willenium wrote:Well, mine has finally been done by FC Tuning but I'm a little dubious about the quality of the work. Got a fluctuating idle from cold/cooled down and the AFR is nudging just over 12:1 on the graph. Feels stronger but I'm sure I read somewhere that the 3S-GTE shouldn't be tuned above 11-11.5?

I'm going to contact the tuner and ask whether he can do anything about the idle.

do you have a commander? can you post pics of the graph showing your AFR's? what are your current engine mods?
Willenium

Post by Willenium »

Rob - East Coast Imports wrote:do you have a commander? can you post pics of the graph showing your AFR's? what are your current engine mods?

I don't have the commander unfortunately. I'm at work at the moment but when I get home I can take a picture of the printout and post it on here.

Spec is:

Greddy SMIC
Garrett T34 (we think)
Demon Motorsport 38mm wastegate
Greddy Profec B-Spec II
3" downpipe (no cat)
Japspeed rear section
CDA style air filter with cold air duct to side vent

Fitted to otherwise stock Rev3 engine.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

Willenium wrote:
Rob - East Coast Imports wrote:do you have a commander? can you post pics of the graph showing your AFR's? what are your current engine mods?

I don't have the commander unfortunately. I'm at work at the moment but when I get home I can take a picture of the printout and post it on here.

Spec is:

Greddy SMIC
Garrett T34 (we think)
Demon Motorsport 38mm wastegate
Greddy Profec B-Spec II
3" downpipe (no cat)
Japspeed rear section
CDA style air filter with cold air duct to side vent

Fitted to otherwise stock Rev3 engine.

shame you don't have a commander or I could have talked you through idle adjustments.

is this a new (to you) PFC? I'm assuming you did the idle learning procedure on first install?
Willenium

Post by Willenium »

Rob - East Coast Imports wrote:shame you don't have a commander or I could have talked you through idle adjustments.

is this a new (to you) PFC? I'm assuming you did the idle learning procedure on first install?

Ah that is a shame. I'll be on the lookout for one but don't know too much about them. Are the commander units universal or model specific?

It is new to me but a second hand unit. I didn't know there was an idle learning procedure? How do I do that then? I just installed it when I arrived at the dyno and the mapper took over from there.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

Willenium wrote:
Rob - East Coast Imports wrote:shame you don't have a commander or I could have talked you through idle adjustments.

Ah that is a shame. I'll be on the lookout for one but don't know too much about them. Are the commander units universal or model specific?

It is new to me but a second hand unit. I didn't know there was an idle learning procedure? How do I do that then? I just installed it when I arrived at the dyno and the mapper took over from there.

no, the commanders aren't the same, you either need an FCC2-TS which is mr2 specific, or the new OLED ones, which are universal.. the going rate for an mr2 commander is about £120-130, the new OLED ones are currently on sale with RHDjapan for £191 delivered, which is mental value since UK re-sellers want £300 for them... I should really sell my commander and upgrade to the OLED at that price.

http://www.rhdjapan.com/apexi-power-fc- ... ander.html

the self learning idle procedure can be found in section 9 of the PFC manual here:

http://www.apexi-usa.com/manuals/electr ... 14h001.pdf

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”