Apexi Power FC Swap

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Bezly

Apexi Power FC Swap

Post by Bezly »

Hi all,

looking to buy an Apexi Power FC, ECU for my Rev3 Turbo.

The price is around £600, which I am thinking might be a little too much, interested to know if I'm wrong, however I'm ideally interested in the power gains I can get form it without a remap.

I'm off to Snetterton this Saturday for an Open Pit but could pick up the ECU this week, without a remap, am I likely to see any power gains. The chap selling it says he has basic bolt ons (Exhaust, filter, etc), as do I, Nur Spec, Berk Downpipe, Greddy Intercooler, Apexi Air Filter... Would this therefore be a positive purchase for me? Or would I need to get a remap for me to see any gains?

Up for any suggestions.

Cheers
Bezly
93' Red Mk2 Rev3 Turbo
rev3turbo

Re: Apexi Power FC Swap

Post by rev3turbo »

youll need to have it mapped

600 is about right if it comes with the hand commander
Bezly

Post by Bezly »

Cheers good to know on the price!!

Looks like the remap will settle the deal, won't be able to get it done in time :(

Cheers
Bezly
93' Red Mk2 Rev3 Turbo
Kiddo

Post by Kiddo »

When new, PFCs come with a base map that pretty much allows you to get the car to a tuner. I had a heavily modified R33 GTST and the drive to get the car mapped on the base map was very dull. The drive home on the other hand was a different story :twisted: :whistle:

If the car this second hand PFC comes off has a very similar spec to yours (like you've said) and was running the same/similar boost, injectors etc then you would notice a difference over a stock ECU, but you'd have to treat it as a sort of generic map, only a custom map would get the best out of your motor.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

if buying 2nd hand i wouldnt assume anything. fit and tune at mappers.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Yeah you need to be careful. Although the car and mods is similar it could be behaving differently for any number of reasons so you could end up running a bit too lean on boost which could cause you problems. It really is worth getting a remap done by a good tuner.
Rev1 Tubby, Garrett GT3071R, Motec M4 EMS, 880cc delphis, Rev3 turbo port polished built head/cams/titanium retainers, shim under buckets, HD springs, etc., rear bumper mounted intercooler, and vanilla air freshener.
Bezly

Post by Bezly »

Cheers guys!! Appreciate the help!!

Might get my hands on it and treat myself to a remap in the Spring!!

Cheers
Bezly
93' Red Mk2 Rev3 Turbo

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”