[Mk2] [Turbo] PAS Not switching off at high speeds

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Kupton83

[Mk2] [Turbo] PAS Not switching off at high speeds

Post by Kupton83 »

Help!

My Rev1 has developed a scary trait of getting very twitchy at high speeds. It seems the pas is not turning off as even at 100 mph the steering wheel is very sensitive to any inputs.

I have new tyres all round, and had an alignment done at the same time. I have fitted a uk na 160mph speedo into my oem turbo cluster, and done the voltmeter modification in place of the useless factory boost gauge.

Does anyone know how I can de activate the pas as I would rather not have it at all if I can get it to switch off!
Kupton83

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] PAS Not switching off at high speeds

Post by Kupton83 »

The best way to describe is at motorway speeds the back of the car is doing the steering. Swaying left to right!

Also, I did a drag event recently and seems the car is limited at 140mph. Is this due to fitting a na cluster and would anyone know where I could get hold of a delimiter to install at the ECU end, not in the cluster?

Thanks
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

Is the PAS light coming on at all?

IS your car a Jap import? I've read they're limited to 180km/h (112mph)
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

You could disable the P/S temporarily and see if that is actually the cause of your problem.
Kupton83

Post by Kupton83 »

Yh it's a jap import factory turbo. No Pas light on either.

Yh I thought it would be limited to 112ish but goes up to 140 before it cuts the fuel, don't really understand it! I have installed a uk speedo but wouldn't of thought that would make a difference.

Unless the UK na's are limited to 140?
platmatt8

Post by platmatt8 »

Does this just happen on motorways???

Are you sure the car isn't tramlining? Mine does it on motorways when drive on the inside lane.
Kupton83

Post by Kupton83 »

No definitely speed related it's not tramlining as steering from the back and I try and stay out of the inside lane as much ass possible!

I have had a good search on here and found some alignment figures from some chap called dino I will take it back to the garage that aligned it and ask them to do it to these settings.
Darkzy433

Post by Darkzy433 »

When I broke my speedo plug the PAS stayed on all the time and it caused this... fishtailing of the back,
Kupton83

Post by Kupton83 »

Did the pas light come on whilst this was happening.

Had the alignment re-done and no difference unfortunately.
Darkzy433

Post by Darkzy433 »

Nope, PAS light won't come on due to this as it constantly thought I was under 50mph IE no fault.

If you can go over 112MPH in your import you have a delimiter already. and that's why your PAS is on over 50mph. it's a well known fault with most delimiters.

the only delimiters that don't do this are the Stef's delimiter and he HKS and greddy ones I believe.
Kupton83

Post by Kupton83 »

Ok thanks.

I am very confused now as the car is limited as when I reach 140 it cuts the fuel. Why 140 I have no idea?!

I have no delimiter behind the speedo cluster or in the boot at the ECU.

I have a HKS fuel cut defender but can't see that affecting the limiter? Is it save to pull the fuse for the PAS and drive it with no power steering to test it this solves the issue?

Also where can I get a decent de-limiter?
Kupton83

Post by Kupton83 »

Ok so have checked the speedo and ECU there is no de-limiter fitted.

Yet it won't go over 140.

All I have done is drop a uk 160mph speedo into my cluster which on a rev1 is cable driven so wouldn't affect any electronics.Have also done the mod to replace the useless factory boost gauge with a voltmeter.

Can't understand why this would mean my pas doesn't switch off.
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

Just some thoughts I have, nothing concrete.

The ecu takes it speed signal from the speedo. So maybe the UK output pulse is slower than the import as its mph not km pH. This will effectively raise the limiter. But it should be 180. Also the ecu will think you are doing 50 mph when you are doing 80 mph.
The other thing to note is how sure are you all the pins are correct when swapping turbo import to UK n/a. I would assume major differences.
So you could have the ecu not having a speed signal at all and or no PS light as the pin is in the wrong place in the back of the dials
Kupton83

Post by Kupton83 »

Thanks for your input.

I may be wrong but as mines a Rev 1, and cable driven speedo, the ECU gets its speed signal from the gearbox drive which hasn't changed. Electrically speaking it has the same instrument cluster it's just the speedo cable is plugged into a uk speedometer.

I can try re-fitting the import speedo see if it's makes a difference but I don't expect it too.

Something doesn't add up though. Before I changed the speedo and it was on the standard JDM speedometer that had a mph face overplayed on it, it would go way over 112/180kph. So far in fact that the needle would hit the bottom of the binnacle. That resulted in the gearbox drive stripping as had it like that too often! What's strange is it did this with no delimiter fitted.
Now with the U.K. Speedometer fitted it's limited at 140mph?!?
Darkzy433

Post by Darkzy433 »

My import does just over 120 indicated on import dials with overlay..

The ecu gets the signal from your speedo not the drive, cable driven or not.

I would go with the above theory of because you have a mph clock it's sending the pulses slower.
Darkzy433

Post by Darkzy433 »

^ to add to above, after 120 indicated my limiter kicks in like a mule.
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

Darkzy433 wrote:^ to add to above, after 120 indicated my limiter kicks in like a mule.

+1 @ 124 indicated on sat nav, off the clock on 110 dials. ( FYI on autobahn doing my banger rally)
Kupton83

Post by Kupton83 »

I will give it a try and let you know.

The U.K. Speedo unit has no electronic connection/interface with the instrument cluster. The only thing it connects to is the speedo cable, which is an input, I don't think it will make any difference but may aswell try it!
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

Kupton83 wrote:Thanks for your input.

I may be wrong but as mines a Rev 1, and cable driven speedo, the ECU gets its speed signal from the gearbox drive which hasn't changed. Electrically speaking it has the same instrument cluster it's just the speedo cable is plugged into a uk speedometer.

I can try re-fitting the import speedo see if it's makes a difference but I don't expect it too.

Something doesn't add up though. Before I changed the speedo and it was on the standard JDM speedometer that had a mph face overplayed on it, it would go way over 112/180kph. So far in fact that the needle would hit the bottom of the binnacle. That resulted in the gearbox drive stripping as had it like that too often! What's strange is it did this with no delimiter fitted.
Now with the U.K. Speedometer fitted it's limited at 140mph?!?

When swapping a JDM and UK cable driven instrument cluster is it a simple like for like swap? are there no changes required to the speedo drive to compensate for the different speedo ranges?.

What MPH did the faceplate overlay go up to? you say way over 180kmh but on a JDM cluster just over 180 would be hitting the binnacle. 140mph on a JDM cluster would have the needle pointing straight down at the 6 o'clock position and that's if it could get there, which it can't.
Kupton83

Post by Kupton83 »

The overlay on the JDM speedo went to 120mph. The needle would hit the binnacle around 130mph displayed and be held there as contacting the binnacle. This resulted in the speedo drive in the gearbox stripping which is understandable.

So I replaced the gearbox drive for the speedo. I haven't fitted a uk cluster. What I have done is open the JDM cluster, remove the speedometer assy and replace with a uk 160mph speedometer assy. Then reassembled the cluster as it was.

The mechanical bit that concerts the speedo cable input from either kmph or mph is all in the speedometer assy. Or so I have read so is a like for like swap. I have checked it's accuracy with a gps and at 80 displayed the car is actually doing 75 so not bad.

So since i did this, I am no able to go Upto an indicated 140nph then the limiter kicks in, very much as described above, like a mule!

Return to “Modifications”