Lowering springs on old dampers question

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Kiddo

Lowering springs on old dampers question

Post by Kiddo »

I'm in the process of upgrading/refreshing the brakes and suspension of my NA Rev 1. The plan is to renew/refurb everything ready for some good weather driving and the odd track day.

I've been looking through the history of the car and the shocks were all replaced with genuine Toyota ones (by Toyota) just over 40k miles ago, but this was about 15 years ago. Realistically, are these going to be past it for using with a new set of lowering springs (Apex)? Don't get me wrong, the cars handling is great and if it wasn't for the fact it needs lowering, I wouldn't have a reason to change the shocks.

Neil
abovetherim

Re: Lowering springs on old dampers question

Post by abovetherim »

I have found with the Toyota shocks that you only tell how bad they are once they are stripped down.
I know its a ball ache waiting but I would suggest stripping down to inspect. If they are past best then get onto Tcb parts where you can get inserts for £25 a corner and they ship next day!
Dust boots can be had from mr2 Ben but they may take a few days to arrive.
Top mounts for front if you need them, again you'll know when you strip down, I got kyb from eBay shipped in 2 days
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

I have had 2x 94 rev3 turbos so maybe not the same shocks as the rev1 na but the following might give you some idea how long shocks last on these cars.

On one car the original toyota shocks lasted 9 years and did 60,000 miles when one side started leaking and failed mot. The replacement fronts did 60,000 miles and 98,000 miles (replaced in pairs). The replacement rears did 100,000 miles.

On the other car the original toyota shocks lasted 18 yrs and did 83,000 miles. They were not leaking but the handling was not as good as it should be (the previous owner didnt drive it much as the ride was too harsh, but I found that even though it had passed an mot, it wouldnt hold the line I was expecting when cornering which meant had to delay getting back on the power, making it much slower than my other mr2). On removal one of them was very slow to rebound.

How long your shocks last depends how bad the roads are in your area.
Obviously roads with potholes, speed bumps or generally poor quality bumpy roads will wear the shocks out quicker.

If you can, try and get a ride on a twisty country road in an mr2 that has recently had the shocks done. You will know straight away what to do with your shocks.

I would not lower a car if going anywhere near multi-story car parks as some of the angle changes on the ramps are too steep for non-lowered cars and the nose cone gets grounded.
Same happens when I visit my Dad, just on the slope of the approach road to his garage (unless I do it in reverse).

Good luck with the car.
Kiddo

Post by Kiddo »

Thanks for the reply abovetherim :thumleft:

I know what you mean, I've been pricing up all the options over the last few days and I was set on rebuilding with new inserts but that could be a waste of time if the rest of the shock is rotten! Then there's the time involved in building them when tcbparts can supply new shocks for £56+vat...

Just out of curiosity, how easy is it to rebuild with new inserts? Stripping the shock and springs etc is no problem, but is the insert basically a sealed unit and just dropped in? Or do you have to fill with oil? Are they even oil haha :-k #-o

Oh and I've already got the KYB top mounts on order, figured at 122k and with a slight knock they're due for a change..! :D
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

Kiddo wrote:Thanks for the reply abovetherim :thumleft:

I know what you mean, I've been pricing up all the options over the last few days and I was set on rebuilding with new inserts but that could be a waste of time if the rest of the shock is rotten! Then there's the time involved in building them when tcbparts can supply new shocks for £56+vat...

Just out of curiosity, how easy is it to rebuild with new inserts? Stripping the shock and springs etc is no problem, but is the insert basically a sealed unit and just dropped in? Or do you have to fill with oil? Are they even oil haha :-k #-o

Oh and I've already got the KYB top mounts on order, figured at 122k and with a slight knock they're due for a change..! :D

The hardest part is undoing the collar nut. A large pair of stilsons are good for that and a blow torch.
There will be plenty of surface corrosion but the spring carrier is likely to be sound though the top plate might be in bad condition. A quick wire brush and some POR paint of your choice will work wonders.

As for the inserts, yes just drop in though an old school way of doing it would be to drop 20ml or so of oil in there first. I believe you get new collar nut with the insert.
stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

Best way to undo the large nut is put it in a bench vice upside down so that the nut is held by the vice. Then put a large screwdriver/bar/similar through two of the strut bolt holes and apply turning force. Very easy this way.
Kiddo

Post by Kiddo »

Thanks for the replies guys :thumleft:

rev3gtturbo, judging by the date of the receipt from Toyota and the mileage/date on my old MOT's, I'd put the original set of shocks at lasting 82k, so pretty close to some of your figures. There's no mention of springs being replaced though...so they've lasted well!

The roads where I am are a bit hit and miss tbh, but the car's off the road over the winter when the pot-holes appear so it should be safe. Plus the Apex springs I've got should only lower it 30mm or so and as it's a rev1, I think it'll end up the same height as the rev2 onwards cars.

abovetherim and stuMR2eye, thanks for clearing that up about the inserts. I get the feeling I've got my wires crossed about adding the oil - from the build-thread I was looking at, the guy did drop some oil in first and I've not realised this was just to help insert the insert :oops:
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

I have never had to replace the springs.
First mr2 did over 205,000 miles.
Second mr2 is just about to go over 200,000 km / 124,000 miles.

Did have to do the top mounts on the first car eventually.
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

I had to replace my springs as they had sagged so much that putting apex -30mm springs on raised my suspension!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”