overheating issue..advice needed

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

leary123

overheating issue..advice needed

Post by leary123 »

been a while since ive been on but i am now stumped with this problem, although everything is leading me to a dreaded head gasket issue.
its rev 3 turbo which i have owned for 3 years now and when i first got it the engine was dropped out as the turbo seals had gone and while changing the turbo i changed all gaskets and water pump etc.

i had problems a few weeks back of water slushing in the pipes which was audible in the car so i bled it and the car was fine for a week but then it returned and started to over heat at standstill but temp would drop when load was put back through the engine and started moving again. i checked and found the rad was looking in a very sorry state at the base so i pulled it out and changed it over and put new coolant in and began to bleed again only to find that it would start boiling with the back filler cap off although the temp gauge was saying normal.
i suspected the temp gauge but it has shown just over halfway when it started to overheat at standstill but either way still something isnt right. i bled again with the filler cap back on and bled from the front. i left the car for a very long time before water started cycling down the front of the car ..a good 30 mins at least under idle. but it did come through in the end. i kept my eye on the temp gauge and it never crept above halfway and no air from the rad or heater matrix. i was concerned it might be a fan problem so checked them and then bridged the plug so they run full time to see if it was that

so a week later and coolant check and top up which was about a quarter litre which was much better previously than with the old rad on and i had some hope that it might now be behaving and equally non stop hot air out the cabin vents where as before it got cold under idle before starting to overheat from an air lock

but now coming back tonight from a drive i shut the car off to hear it bubbling out the back through the rear firewall. i opened up the back and can hear air hissing out the expansion bottle and boiling under the filler neck cap..i checked the front and water is coming through and going into the rad..very hot one side and warm on the other and the fans now run full time but yet its boiling at the back.

im a bit stumped now...ill get a new thermostat tomorrow and change it but im now thinking its a water pump issue but i previously could hear water going through the pipes at start

apologies for the long post but i thought i would try and outline everything the best i could so far

just any thoughts or suggestions would be hugely appreciated :D

Dan
Willenium

Re: overheating issue..advice needed

Post by Willenium »

Replace the thermostat, bleed it through thoroughly and see how it behaves. Sounds like thermostat failing to me.
leary123

Re: overheating issue..advice needed

Post by leary123 »

Willenium wrote:Replace the thermostat, bleed it through thoroughly and see how it behaves. Sounds like thermostat failing to me.

thanks will..i suppose i am bit lost with it as water appears to be getting down to the front although it does seem be taking a long time before it opens up and i was surprised to see the temp gauge halfway when it was boiling at the back ... ill change the thermostat today and see what happends

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”