Replacing Shock Absorbers

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Heliwilly

Replacing Shock Absorbers

Post by Heliwilly »

My wife's 1999 MR2 SW20 needs new shocks. Can these be replaced with just the insert or is in any advantage to replace the whole units. Any advice gratefully received. Thanks. Bill W.
JohnnyC

Re: Replacing Shock Absorbers

Post by JohnnyC »

I presume it's a UK rev5?

If so, yes you can just buy inserts.

But the inserts will cost you around the same price as brand new whole shock absorbers from Toyota. I paid £252 for all four shocks from Toyota 6 years ago, so they're around £63 each.
Heliwilly

Post by Heliwilly »

Thanks for the reply Johnny C. Yes it is a Rev 5. I am going to have a look at the car tomorrow as the wife has said that the suspension doesn't seem to be absorbing the bumps and potholes as well as it used to. On my 1999 Jag XJ8 I can do the "bounce test" on each corner to give a rough idea as to how things are working. On the MR2 I can't get any bounce at all ??? Bill W.
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

If you give Trevor at TCB parts a call http://www.tcbparts.co.uk/ he will be able to supply front and rear inserts for £25 ea + Vat.

Or he can sell you the complete struts if you can be bothered to rebuild yours or you want shiney new black struts. They come in at approx £55 + Vat a corner for genuine Toyota struts. These also come with new bolts and nuts for the strut to hub.

Doing the bounce test doen't work on the mr2. Mine passed that test but when i stripped the shocks down i found they were all knackered to varying degrees.

You will probably find the dust boots are perished and missing also. Aftermarket ones that fit can be bought from mr2ben for approx £55 for all 4. Or genuine toyota ones can be bought from tcb or dealer for approx £200 for all 4 corners :shock:
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

abovetherim wrote:Aftermarket ones that fit can be bought from mr2ben for approx £55 for all 4. Or genuine toyota ones can be bought from tcb or dealer for approx £200 for all 4 corners :shock:

£200 for 4 dust boots!?
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

tiff_lee wrote:
abovetherim wrote:Aftermarket ones that fit can be bought from mr2ben for approx £55 for all 4. Or genuine toyota ones can be bought from tcb or dealer for approx £200 for all 4 corners :shock:

£200 for 4 dust boots!?

OK £200 was a bit out. Just checked and the rears are £24+VAT each and the fronts from memory were approx £79+VAT for the pair so maybe £160-170
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

I'm still shocked as to how expensive it is for 4 rubber dust boots!
masterbateson

Post by masterbateson »

I got black billies so i think i am correct in assuming I cant do this with mine?

How well do they wear the black billies? do they tend to be good unless they leak?

My dust boots have all disintergrated into a collection of black rings :lol:
Hez

Post by Hez »

Black bilstein dont have removable inserts you would just have to replace the unit, however they are all interchangeable, so if you want you could get a complete rebuildable strut and fit that.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”