sound dampening advice

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ryanaj79

sound dampening advice

Post by ryanaj79 »

Hi all, sorry if this has already been talked about, but couldnt find much on the forum.
I have a load of spare roof insulation and wondered if this could be used in the front wheel arches? Just to dampen some of the road noise.
I know its prob not safe in rear wheel arches due to heat from engine, but would have thought front arches are ok?
as read somewhere that someone used it in rear arches of a van to cut down on noise.

I've already got some sound deadening foam sheets in doors,
any one done this before?
Last edited by ryanaj79 on Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
parker455

Re: sound dampening advice

Post by parker455 »

This sounds like it would be ideal, but think about the damp/water that would get in and eventually rot it?
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

I use silent coat sound deadening on the doors floor and other panels
I removed the oem stuff
RyanRs wrote:
Skywalker wrote:explain how the coolant leaves the expansion tank and goes back into the coolant system?

Seriously , you don't know the answer to this? and you call yourself a car mechanic :shock:
parker455

Post by parker455 »

madbasshunter wrote:I use silent coat sound deadening on the doors floor and other panels
Image Replaced With URL For Quote [url]http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff327/madbasshunter/Purple%20Haze%20MR2/2014-09-10165114_zpsa4dc375c.jpg[/URL]
I removed the oem stuff

Does it work well?
alan_uk

Post by alan_uk »

After taking clive's advice i can vouch it works great 👍🏼
ryanaj79

Post by ryanaj79 »

parker455 wrote:This sounds like it would be ideal, but think about the damp/water that would get in and eventually rot it?

aye, I have thought about any damp, was thinkin about wrapping it some shrink wrap/film before packin some in..
I did put some 1cm thick sound deadening sheets in the doors too, against outer panel,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/high-density- ... xyHE5Rruca
but as I was told its normal for water to get in an drain at bottom of door, need to check they wont rot lol

I like the idea of using that silent coat stuff instead, madbasshunter, will find some of that an try for other areas :)
acf8181

Post by acf8181 »

Have been thinking about doing the firewall myself, but dynamat is silly money....the above looks like it might be a good bet!
killerferret666

Post by killerferret666 »

I did the whole kit car in silent coat stuff.

Mat for sound deadening of the panels and then used open foam and closed foam on top (very light)

think it was
35mm open foam on bulkhead
15mm open foam on arches
6mm closed foam on the floor

For a car built thats not built to factory levels I can hold a conversation without an issue and hear hardly any road noise.
My Blog on Miami GT4 kit car build using MR2 Donor Car

http://miamigt4kitcar.blogspot.co.uk/

twitter for photo's as I'm building -
www.twitter.com/iwanabeaferret
parker455

Post by parker455 »

I can't hear a thing on the motorway, conversation just isn't possible for me lol.

Sound deadening is a must.
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

Yes it does Work Tom but I am not trying to quieten the car to hold conversations :? can't remember the last time I had a passenger :shock:
I deaden the car to make my stereo louder :lol:
RyanRs wrote:
Skywalker wrote:explain how the coolant leaves the expansion tank and goes back into the coolant system?

Seriously , you don't know the answer to this? and you call yourself a car mechanic :shock:
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

You can buy foil backed bitumen flashing tape from wickes which works well for the price.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Self-Adh ... m/p/243009

Pauln

Post by Pauln »

madbasshunter wrote:Yes it does Work Tom but I am not trying to quieten the car to hold conversations :? can't remember the last time I had a passenger :shock:
I deaden the car to make my stereo louder :lol:

Also helps stop the car rattling on the base line (by lowering the resonant frequency of the panels a bit) :D
Herts66

Post by Herts66 »

Does that actually make a difference?
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

This car has always had a lot of noise from the engine bay and vibrations through the boot lid and doors. (nobody can work out why and it drives really well and does lots of miles. Its like its been apart and not put back together with all the washers/bushes etc although nothing seems to be missing or loose, and its worse at idle).

Any suggestions where to put the sound deadening?

How much space is there for deadening material behind interior trims so that I get stuff the right thickness, and still allowing air to circulate wherever toyota meant it to circulate? (I dont want the material to prevent air circulation if it will create places for moisture to collect and cause rot/rust).

A related issue is my door speakers (alpine spg-13cs 65w rms components driven by an alpine head unit 9880r - that old!) need to be turned up quite loud to produce nice sound.
The speakers can easily handle that volume without distortion but my hearing cant take it for too long (unless I open the windows or take the Tbars off) so I have to turn them down again to save my hearing.

To give you an idea what I mean, volume level 12 is ok for talking stuck in traffic, volume 15 on the motorway, but the best sounds from these speakers dont kick in until volume level 18-20 even when stopped in traffic. I think the head unit goes up to volume 30ish.

Is there anything I can do with this setup to get the nicer sound without them being turned up so loud?
Otherwise what speakers will produce nice sound at lower volume (say similar price to the alpines that wont break the bank unlike the really high end stuff lol)
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

Herts66 wrote:

About as much difference as buying a very similar yet much more expensive item with the name Dynamat printed on it.
ryanaj79

Post by ryanaj79 »

well, looks like ive got plans for my days off haha...
tbh my rev 4 isnt too noisy, only road noise from rough tarmac roads..

I also put some of the sound deadening foam sheets behind firewall, behind seats, and that made a small difference,
altho 1 cm is max thickness really, as its difficult to pop clips in on any plastic bits if thicker.

I also found some 2nd hand sub woofers for behind seats, and replaced with more powerful speakers, so not thrashing the other speakers.

I did read somewhere that noise can travel from the boot thru to behind the rear side speaker, not checked if it goes all the way thru yet,
but that would explain some noise if the boot amplifies it? has anyone else noticed this?
kirk

Post by kirk »

tiff_lee wrote:
Herts66 wrote:

About as much difference as buying a very similar yet much more expensive item with the name Dynamat printed on it.

Well done this man :thumleft:

This ridiculously price sound deadening doesn't really kill sound, it kills structure bourne vibrations and stops things rattling. Flashing tape does the exact same thing without the silly price tag. To reduce sound what you do then is lay acoustic foam over the top of the tape or pad.
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

ryanaj79 wrote:well, looks like ive got plans for my days off haha...
tbh my rev 4 isnt too noisy, only road noise from rough tarmac roads..

I also put some of the sound deadening foam sheets behind firewall, behind seats, and that made a small difference,
altho 1 cm is max thickness really, as its difficult to pop clips in on any plastic bits if thicker.

I did read somewhere that noise can travel from the boot thru to behind the rear side speaker, not checked if it goes all the way thru yet,
but that would explain some noise if the boot amplifies it? has anyone else noticed this?

I think a previous owner has had the interior apart as the covers are missing for the screw head for each coat hook. I cant imagine why anyone would want to remove those unless trying to access something else.

My boot lid vibration is worse than it was a year ago as the hole for the hinge pin has become elongated. I will have to keep an eye out for another hinge when I get more spare time.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

I've used flashing tape before on different cars in the past with success, however I've never used the "real" dynamat etc so can't really compare the two - apparently dynamat etc is a bit lighter

I really would advise against adding foam or anything else remotely absorbent into the doors etc as stated previously water will creep by the window seals and is supposed to drain out of the bottom via the drain holes.
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”