Looking to be a MR2 owner - few questions

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

digs

Looking to be a MR2 owner - few questions

Post by digs »

Hi :) first post....

Currently I own a st202 Celica, FWD but with a rev3 3SGTE engine. It did have a 3sfe which I turbo'd, until it blew. Then replaced with the 3sgte.

I would like to buy a second car, a rwd, so MR2 mk2 looks spot on :)

thinking of looking to buy next spring, and just put a few hundred quid away to get one.

Not looking (not sure if this is frowned upon or not!) of keeping one as an orginal example, more of a stripped out slightly, repainted if needed, weekend toy. Celica for normal use.

how much should I put aside ? Ideally rev3 3SGE engine, as not bothered about turbo as have that in the celica - more lightweight na for this one - can you have fun in an NA MR2 though ?

Exterior or internal condition won't really matter, though I don't want to deal with massive rust issues as I (as currently) don't know how to weld - though would be useful to learn.

Assume Beams MR2s never come up, and are expensive when they do ?

Also, I would be curious about turboing a 3sfe again, if one came up, is that a "done" thing on here?

I think I would prefer a 3sge just for simplicity and ease however.

And (finally!) - are rev3 3sge engine swaps from a celica to MR2 straight forward ? If rev3 3sge's are rarer in most MR2s ?

Thanks for any tips ,

Digs
fred130111

Re: Looking to be a MR2 owner - few questions

Post by fred130111 »

Hi!

That is interesting, did you not prefer the GT4?

You can get a fairly decent Rev 3 N/A from about £1000 - £1300 but saying that I have seen a few around £600 ( you get what you pay more most of the time )

Beams are pretty rare and yeah you are right when they come up normally cost a fair bit!

Putting a Turbo on a 3SFE seems fairly pointless when you can get MR2 Turbo's with a 3SGTE in fairly cheap these days.... Much more reliable and more power

:thumleft:

Rev 3 engine swaps from Celica's are probably fairly straight forward, one difference I know is that you will need to source an MR2 Alternator bracket if you did as they are in different positions, but Rev 3 MR2's aren't really that rare to be honest.

Hope I have helped :thumleft:
digs

Post by digs »

Thanks for the quick response!

I should have gone for the GT4 orginally, but have almost gone too far down the fwd turbo route on my celica. It's been modified to work with the engine (E56 gear box and drive shafts, MR3 rev3 turbo ecu, FMIC, custom exhaust, etc) Head says sell it and buy a GT4, heart says keep it forwever and buy an MR2 as well! And listening to the heart is more fun :) Also to be honest as well, RWD appeals to me at the moment more than 4WD.

Ok cool, sounds like will aim for around 1k. And forget the beams ;) But maybe lookfor a rev3 3SGE

Yeah, the 3sfe turbo would just be to try it again, but think with the 3sgte already, no real need!

You have, thank you :)
fred130111

Post by fred130111 »

Yeah well there are enough Rev 3's around cheap. I know someone selling one for £500 with MOT and condition is pretty good.

You will notice when looking that the condition of them varies so much!! Engines are strong but you will mainly have to look out for rusty sills / if they have been done! Especially if you are looking at getting a T-BAR.

:thumleft:
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

Don't suppose you was at japfest this year?
I remember seeing a turbod celica bombing round the track.
digs

Post by digs »

£500 sounds like a nice price!

Comfortable with the 3sge range, hence the MR2 choice, engines are good :)

And no to japfest, not tracked the celica yet, though do want to.

Only track driving I have done so far was three laps driving an ariel atom 300 round a small track, which I loved, grinnned the whole way! only a small track though.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

why not

buy said NA mr2

put the 3sgte from the celica in it (with a mr2 turbo gearbox)

put the 3sge into the celica

sell the celica

:eye: :eye: :eye: :eye: :eye: :eye: :eye:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
craig

Post by craig »

jimGTS wrote:why not

buy said NA mr2

sell the celica

^This :mrgreen:

Oh, and welcome :wink:
wenguin

Post by wenguin »

The lighter MR2s are the tintops I believe, and I think the rev1 or 2 is the lightest of the tintops.

Rev3 N/A engine is the fastest of the N/As.

There's plenty of cheap ones about - quite a few have come up locally for £500-1000. I bought my old rev3 for £900 a few years ago and it's still passing MOT.

Sill rot probably the biggest thing to look out for - not always visible fro the outside, best to pop the sill trim and have a look inside.

I thought the N/A was fast enough, but I've not been in a turbo mr2 so I can't compare. The pounds per smile are probably just as good on an N/A as a turbo, but a lot of people who went N/A->turbo say they wish they'd made the change over sooner!

Also, probably a good time to buy now and over winter as price should be a bit cheaper.
digs

Post by digs »

jimGTS wrote:why not

buy said NA mr2

sell the celica

haha, that did cross my mind :) would need to prefer the MR2 to the celica, now that's probably opening all sorts up!
digs

Post by digs »

wenguin wrote:The lighter MR2s are the tintops I believe, and I think the rev1 or 2 is the lightest of the tintops.

Rev3 N/A engine is the fastest of the N/As.

There's plenty of cheap ones about - quite a few have come up locally for £500-1000. I bought my old rev3 for £900 a few years ago and it's still passing MOT.

Sill rot probably the biggest thing to look out for - not always visible fro the outside, best to pop the sill trim and have a look inside.

I thought the N/A was fast enough, but I've not been in a turbo mr2 so I can't compare. The pounds per smile are probably just as good on an N/A as a turbo, but a lot of people who went N/A->turbo say they wish they'd made the change over sooner!

Also, probably a good time to buy now and over winter as price should be a bit cheaper.

Thanks, may see what I can get together Jan feb time and have a look about then, thanks for the comments and help everyone :)

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”