[Mk2] [Turbo] handbrake issue

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

robbie_742003

[Mk2] [Turbo] handbrake issue

Post by robbie_742003 »

Hi all, done the search but didn't bring up what I needed so here goes.
I think the cable is seizing but not the pads, wheels are never hot after a run and always rolls nice and free, but there is always slack on the lever after releasing which slowly tightens. Is it just a case of err lubing ha ha ?!!!! If so, where do I look?
Cheers
Rob
Nails

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] handbrake issue

Post by Nails »

They dont lend themselves to servicing as such. Theyre pretty cheap and easy enough to change. Best do it now rather than in a few months when it freezes on and you're already late.
robbie_742003

Post by robbie_742003 »

Thanks for the reply, time and space is an issue at the mo, so was hoping to spray summat in to loosen it up for the time being, are there any accessible points for this would you know?

cheers

Rob
Nic

Post by Nic »

Unlike most cars the MR2 doesn't have separate drum brakes on the rear for the handbrake. When the handbrake is pulled a cable operates a spring loaded lever on each rear caliper which locks the brake pads onto the disc.

If you remove the rear wheels you'll see where the cable connects to the calipers, cleaning up this area with soapy water may help (I wouldn't use a spray lubricant as you risk getting it on the discs or pads). If this makes no difference then a rebuild of the calipers and new cable would be the next step.

TBH though if the rear wheels are spinning freely with the handbrake off and the handbrake is working when applied then I wouldn't worry too much about it :)
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Nic

Post by Nic »

Pic of the rear caliper, you can see the spring loaded lever and the slotted bracket next to it which holds the cable.

Top right you can see where the cable connects to the lever, the bracket holds the outer cable and then there's a rubber gaiter to protect the inner cable. These rubber gaiters perish and split over time which can cause the cable to seize.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

Weak areas are cables or seized actuator arms on the caliper.

Found this the other day which gives a great explanation of how the mechanism works: http://www.testroete.com/car/Toyota/mr2 ... ems/12.pdf
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

Nic wrote:.... If this makes no difference then a rebuild of the calipers and new cable would be the next step.

TBH though if the rear wheels are spinning freely with the handbrake off and the handbrake is working when applied then I wouldn't worry too much about it :)

If buying rebuilt rear callipers, be warned that some work as they should and some are nothing but problems with the handbrake.

(sometimes I will let my car roll back slightly on a hill to alert the driver behind that my driving is crap or I have a temperamental handbrake hoping they will give me a bit more space. They dont take the hint and pull up real close to my back bumper.... the last thing I need if my handbrake goes out of adjustment #-o )

Return to “Mechanical”