Turbo Genuine Gaskets

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mr299ron

Turbo Genuine Gaskets

Post by mr299ron »

Fitting a 3" downpipe within the next couple of days and I'm wondering if the supplied downpipe elbow gasket from the below is as good as a genuine gasket, also found below:

http://www.mr2-ben.co.uk/products/view/ ... -1989-1999

http://www.mr2-ben.co.uk/products/view/ ... -1989-1994

I've heard using genuine gaskets is best, however I had not thought about it until now and I'm worrying the supplied gasket with the downpipe won't do the job.

99ron
CalMac

Re: Turbo Genuine Gaskets

Post by CalMac »

Try the supplied gasket - if it blows, it blows - not the end of the world. If it holds fine then you've saved £40 :thumleft:
mr299ron

Post by mr299ron »

You could say that about anything!

Have you used non-genuine gaskets on the turbo of any car before?
rev3turbo

Post by rev3turbo »

never EVER use non genuine gaskets, do it once and do it properly.

if the turbo to downpipe gasket blows then you're in the position of removing the downpipe again, awkward bolt positions.. potentially shearing bolts, wasting time. whats the point?
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

I'd always go for genuine gaskets tbh but as it comes with a gasket I'd like to think it is up to the job :-k
mr299ron

Post by mr299ron »

Yeah I'd like to think so too cal, but there's a lot of poo out there :/

The car is going in to have the DP fitted tomorrow, and I ordered one from mr2ben last night, so I don't think it'll get here in time :S
mr299ron

Post by mr299ron »

Wow, the gaskets Japspeed provided with the DP are literally made of paper. I ever so slightly bent the gasket (not badly) just by adding pressure.. oh my god this is not going on my car.

I'm almost tempted to call up and say they shouldn't provide these gaskets, as they're utter poo and should not let people buy into these thinking they won't run into any problems.
craig

Post by craig »

As above, ONLY use genuine gaskets.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

downpipe to exhaust gasket should be fine.

but id never use one for the turbo to downpipe.
genuine only

same goes for inlet and exhaust mani gaskets
2mad

Post by 2mad »

3" downpipe to exhaust ebay special it fine ... thats what i used :thumleft:
rgb

Post by rgb »

use the mr2ben gaskets .the one after the turbo looks ok .them dimpled gaskets are rubbish. its alright if a gasket fails and is blown out off the exhaust but you don't want one going through the turbo or into the engine
2mad

Post by 2mad »

I used all genuine gaskets apart from the downpipe to exhaust 3" coupling .. 5 years no problems :thumleft:
mr299ron

Post by mr299ron »

rgb wrote:use the mr2ben gaskets .the one after the turbo looks ok .them dimpled gaskets are rubbish. its alright if a gasket fails and is blown out off the exhaust but you don't want one going through the turbo or into the engine

Yeah I've ordered a genuine gasket, but I don't think it'll arrive until thurs and the car goes in today/wednesday for coils. Might have to just fit the dp myself another time. Heard it's an absolute ballache though.
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

Yeah those perforated style gaskets are a bit crap, used to always blow them on my c20let dsop pipe but unfortunately there was nothing better available.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

mr299ron wrote:
rgb wrote:use the mr2ben gaskets .the one after the turbo looks ok .them dimpled gaskets are rubbish. its alright if a gasket fails and is blown out off the exhaust but you don't want one going through the turbo or into the engine

Yeah I've ordered a genuine gasket, but I don't think it'll arrive until thurs and the car goes in today/wednesday for coils. Might have to just fit the dp myself another time. Heard it's an absolute ballache though.

What make of down pipe do you have?
If a cheap one without a flex pipe in it you are going to have to grind out parts of the flange to stop the waste gate valve hitting it and getting jamed up or not opening and getting too much boost.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

bobhatton wrote:
mr299ron wrote:
rgb wrote: stop the waste gate valve hitting it and getting jamed up or not opening and getting too much boost.

After all the recent threads I think that's what he needs!
mr299ron

Post by mr299ron »

bobhatton wrote:
mr299ron wrote:

What make of down pipe do you have?
If a cheap one without a flex pipe in it you are going to have to grind out parts of the flange to stop the waste gate valve hitting it and getting jamed up or not opening and getting too much boost.

It's a Japspeed 3" dp. Not a shitty eBay one, although they all look the same. Is there a way I can move the wastgate/actuator by hand and see if there's any blockage? I can only shave a certain amount off before I reach the flanges holes, so is this the best way?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”