Mikey's MK2 Racecar

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

MikeyB571

Re: Mikey's MK2 Racecar

Post by MikeyB571 »

Thanks to Pistol Pete, I have a set of BC coilovers and braided lines. So I had the pleasure this weekend to fit them and setup.

In total these BC's are 10Kg lighter than the Yellow billies with Tein springs, not bad at all :)

Here are the shiny bits:

The old Yellow billies are in pretty good condition baring the top mounts, i'm sure these will go to a good home :)

ashley

Post by ashley »

ashley

Post by ashley »

It was just unlucky (for you) that I was stood at that corner when you decided to park up :-)

Thanks for letting me tag along, I was super impressed with how fast your car is round the corners- you're driving like a pro! You should definitely go and do some racing, I reckon you'd do really well.

It's certainly got me in two minds about my car....on the one hand I'm glad I've swapped to a smaller turbo for road/ track fun, the big turbo + lag would never be as fast as a smaller unit....on the other hand I'm nervous as hell that my car is simply too fast for me, I think I need a LOT of driving tuition next!
MikeyB571

Post by MikeyB571 »

After my last trackday I had some issue I needed to rectify, an alternator failure and another problem which involved rebuilding my engine :(
In the end I got away with a hone and new rings.
I'm currently running the engine in and all is very well now.

It turns out that overfilling the engine oil is a very bad thing to do!!!

After relocating my dip stick I didn't realize that it was no longer reading the oil level correctly, so I had overfilled the engine and I believe that damaged the rings.

Here's a picture of my new car stands that I made, really happy with them.
1/2m lift height, makes it a pleasure to work on the car :)

MikeyB571

Post by MikeyB571 »

I have not done much on my DigiDash for a while but I thought I'd get some video up on where it is currently.
Give us your feedback on my prototype:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/msgnqa9jy7dda ... 2.mp4?dl=0
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

Good to hear your back up and running :thumleft:

Loving the stands and the dash. All the right info and like the shift lights, rev tracker, all very smart looking. A better screen would be the only thing but it is a prototype so guessing that will change.

Would this be pnp for aftermarket ecus or the syvec specifically?
MikeyB571

Post by MikeyB571 »

gnzyza wrote:Good to hear your back up and running :thumleft:

Loving the stands and the dash. All the right info and like the shift lights, rev tracker, all very smart looking. A better screen would be the only thing but it is a prototype so guessing that will change.

Would this be pnp for aftermarket ecus or the syvec specifically?

Thanks for the feedback.
I really haven't done anything with packaging yet, that's next along with a touch screen so you can swipe for different layouts.

It is compatible with anything that outputs CanBus, so some aftermarket ECU's such as the Motec and I also have a flying loom to fit any car with an OBD port. Installation would be a simple matter for plugging into the OBD port and your ready to go :)
ashley

Post by ashley »

Updates....?
ashley

Post by ashley »

:tumbleweed:
MikeyB571

Post by MikeyB571 »

Maybe it's time for an update on this :)

I've done tons of stuff mostly related to sorting out the air ducting in the front bumper, flat floor and splitter.

Pics to follow.
JD

Post by JD »

Hahaha, I just spotted the V-spec decal :lol:

I really like this car. I want to get hold of a bonnet to do the vent thing and do a rad remount in mine at some point.
MikeyB571

Post by MikeyB571 »

JD wrote:Hahaha, I just spotted the V-spec decal :lol:

I really like this car. I want to get hold of a bonnet to do the vent thing and do a rad remount in mine at some point.

Brilliant, someone finally noticed it :). It was spare from my Skyline which was actually a V-Spec.

I'll keep an eye on yours, sorting the ducting between the frunk opening and the bumper has been testing my patience.
MikeyB571

Post by MikeyB571 »

I've been busy sorting out my flat floor calamity at Snetterton, essentially I've started a flat floor and when I went on track it juddered really badly when I hit 115mph.

I believe the problem was related to the undertray not being secured properly and because I was not chaneling all the air through the bumper, which meant that some air was getting to the top of the undertray.

So I started from scratch and with help from Bob and Ashely I got making some bracing for the undertray and ducting to control the air going into the bumper. All the air from the middle of the opening in the bumper is now going through the hole in the bonnet and the rest is being chaneled to the brakes.

Here's some undertray brackets I made:

While I was there I made a splitter, OK it's made from wood but it'll do for now :)

And to fix a slightly less pressing issue, I decided to make myself a proper catch can. My first one, what do you think?

C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

Excellent work! Those splitter brackets are really nice..
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
MikeyB571

Post by MikeyB571 »

C35Rob wrote:Excellent work! Those splitter brackets are really nice..

Thanks, the splitter brackets were actually really easy to make. I Just used some threaded bar, threaded sleeves at each end and made up a little swivel joint at the ends.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

MikeyB571 wrote:
C35Rob wrote:Excellent work! Those splitter brackets are really nice..

Thanks, the splitter brackets were actually really easy to make. I Just used some threaded bar, threaded sleeves at each end and made up a little swivel joint at the ends.

I meant the alloy undertray brackets- I'm assuming the splitter you made is attached to them too?
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
MikeyB571

Post by MikeyB571 »

Oh I see, yes thanks.
I was pleased with those, the undertray and splitter do bolt to those brackets.

If I was brave enough I think I could stand on the splitter :)
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

Did those brackets and splitter sort the aero issue you were experiencing?
MikeyB571

Post by MikeyB571 »

gnzyza wrote:Did those brackets and splitter sort the aero issue you were experiencing?

Yes it did, works like a charm.
Couldn't believe the different the splitter made, it turns in really well now. However im definitely getting noticeable drag at high speed, i used to be able to get to 225mpg at snetterton but now im barely getting to 220.

Return to “Member Profiles”