[Mk2] [Turbo] Rev 3 Turbo Boosting Issue and now error code 42 - Please help!

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Nij

[Mk2] [Turbo] Rev 3 Turbo Boosting Issue and now error code 42 - Please help!

Post by Nij »

Hi guys, I was hoping someone could shed a little light on an issue which I've been facing with my 95 Rev 3 turbo.

When I first bought the car, it had a HKS EVC-S and HKS FCD installed. The car was running properly, boosting as it should with no issues at all.

I decided that I would like to take the car back to almost original spec and so I began removing some of the aftermarket parts. As part of this, I removed the FCD and the EBC completely.

I reconnected the pipe of the turbo housing, to the left nipple of the actuator. I also reconnected the pipe on the right nipple of the actuator to the TVSV. I reconnected the one wire on the ecu which had the FCD connected to it.

Following this, I went for a test drive and noticed that it would only boost to 0.5 bar.

I then tried connecting a manual boost controller which I fitted in between the turbo housing and the left side of the actuator. The test drive that followed showed that the car was boosting to 0.9 bar however it wouldn't hold that pressure, rather it would peak to 0.9 bar and then rapidly start falling off back down to 0.5 bar.

I then remembered that the TVSV had to be blocked on the right side of the actuator, which I then did. After this, the car went back to boosting to 0.5 bar.

I found that adjusting the boost controller had no effect whatsoever after this.

I checked the blue plug and pipes under the inlet manifold and found them all to be connected as they should be.

The car currently drives fine, with no smoke or hesitation of any kind but only boosting up to 0.5 bar which it holds throughout the rev range.

Any help on the situation will be greatly appreciated!! :thumleft:
Last edited by Nij on Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobhatton

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Rev 3 Turbo Boosting Issue and now error code 42 - Please help!

Post by bobhatton »

Check for any fault codes.
You could also reset the ecu and let it learn again.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Nij

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Rev 3 Turbo Boosting Issue and now error code 42 - Please help!

Post by Nij »

bobhatton wrote:Check for any fault codes.
You could also reset the ecu and let it learn again.

no fault codes.

Someone else suggested resetting the ECU this morning which I did. Took it for a small spin and its now boosting fully but its hesitating up the higher revs.

When you say 'let it learn again' what do you actually mean by this? Only reason I ask is because I wonder if the hesitation i was experiencing is because the ECU has not adjusted to the change back to stock setting?

Appreciate your reply
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

The ecu is very clever and learns and adjusts to suit fuel, boost etc. but does take time so may be a number of days till it gets better.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

FCD on a rev3+?? Unless you're running 18+psi you dont need it and even then you need a proper rev3+ FCD and not a rev1/2 model
Nij

Post by Nij »

Hi guys, I've got a question which I think maybe still related to the problem I had with the boost.

As suggested I reset the ecu which allowed the car to boost fully again. It was very hesitant at first but was getting better each time I drove the car, I'm guessing it was because it was learning. I didn't really get a chance to take on any long journeys, only 2-3miles at a time. I probably only drove it 4-5 times, totaling around 12-14miles.

I sold the car today, the new owner test drove it from cold on two occasions and everything was fine. However once he got home after a 150mile journey he found the engine management light came on and the car started to feel like its misfiring. He checked for errors and found it was flashing error code 52 which I believe is the knock sensor?
I didn't have the engine management light flash or show any error codes in the time I had it. It's left me puzzled.

Could it be that the car is still in 'learning mode' and still adjusting? Or is it that the new owner just got unlucky and the knock sensor become faulty over the 150mile journey home?

As always any replies are appreciated.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Nij wrote:

Could it be that the car is still in 'learning mode' and still adjusting? Or is it that the new owner just got unlucky and the knock sensor become faulty over the 150mile journey home?

The knock sensor does not become faulty, is is damaged because of heavy knock and that comes from too much boost, too low an octane fuel.

If the problems are not sorted the next will be damaged pistons in a very short time.
Nij

Post by Nij »

I don't think it is because of too much boost as its running stock. The only performance modifications it's got are uprated HT leads, aftermarket exhaust and induction kit.

What could cause it to be sensing too low an octane fuel? I only run the car on V-power.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

But you sold the car, what fuel did the new owner put in the car?
Also the ign timing may be out.
Nij

Post by Nij »

I'll try find out, thanks for all your help so far. I'm going to ask the new owner to post here, maybe he can tell us more

Return to “Mechanical”