Mk1 Fuel pump

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ian

Mk1 Fuel pump

Post by ian »

First let me say hello to you all. I have a MK1 in my garage, it's been in there neglected for over 10 years, last started about 5-6 years ogo. Anyway now I have a little time on my hands, I thought I would have a go at getting it going.

I have been careful to get oil into the head before attempting to turn it over, all good so far but I am not sure that the fuel pump is working. I know that to get at it I will have to drop the tank out and if I do that I might just as well replace it with a new one.

Can anyone tell me if there is any way of testing that the pump runs, without dropping the tank out?

Also, if I have to replace it, what pump should I buy?
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Re: Mk1 Fuel pump

Post by LimeyMk1 »

There are a couple of ways to test it. You can either bridge B+ and FP with a piece of wire on the diagnostic port and listen for it to start up (ignition on but not attempting to start the car) or remove the cold start injector from the inlet manifold, pop it in a jam jar and turn the engine over and see if it squirts fuel into the jar.

Replacement wise I'm not sure unfortunately, Toyota will probably cost an arm and a leg and may not stock them any more.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

You can get the fuel pump out easily enough without removing the tank from what I recall when I did it. It comes out the top of course.

Toyota prices are not always excessive, could be worth checking out, otherwise get a second hand one, they don't tend to fail as a rule.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

You're thinking about the fuel level sender I think Lauren, that's accessable from inside the car. The pump is a tank out (or at least dropped a fair bit) job.
ian

Post by ian »

Thanks for the replies. Tried those tips but still got nothing. Can't hear the pump running so I guess it's a tank out job.
stragenmitsuko

Post by stragenmitsuko »

I recently did thesame thing .

I bought one of those cheap ( 20£) chinese fuell pumps off ebay .
Guess what .
It's perfect match to the original one .
Even the strainer is exactly thesame as the original .
If it lasts half as long as my original pump did , it's still a bargain .

I cleaned the tank by bolting it to a cement mixer , poured in 20Ltr of
thinner and 5000 drywall screws .
Had it turn for half an hour in various positions , and it's perfectly clean now .

Pat
ian

Post by ian »

Thanks for that, sounds like a plan. If I can get under the car to get the tank out that is.

Don't suppose you still have a link to the pump on Ebay.
stragenmitsuko

Post by stragenmitsuko »

just did a quick search
I think it was one like this .

ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Pump-For-Subaru-Nissan-Toyota-Tsuru-Austero-Intank-HFP501-0580464074-E3222-/371404331125?hash=item56796c5875&vxp=mtr

I can't seem to post url's , so you'll have to add the httttp wwwwww stuff .
ian

Post by ian »

Cheers, I will give it a look.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”