Century Motorsport Drag Car Build

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Century Motorsport

Re: Century Motorsport Drag Car Build

Post by Century Motorsport »

Yes, I totally agree with what you're saying. It is a heavy lump of metal! But I think putting weight in the front end is what we will end up doing so I just thought I'd make it look pretty and leave it on :)
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
ashley

Post by ashley »

We want updates!
Century Motorsport

I've not really got a massive amount to update with.
Progress has been slow due to not being able to spare much time on it. I'm also waiting for the head to return from porting so I can't do much with the motor either.

I've been working on the skunk inlet runners. It's turning into quite a job, but progress is being made. I'm not sure what the final outcome will be like, but if I'm not happy, I do have an idea for a backup plan...

Before

After

I also got a bar made for the parachute. Once the chute is fitted, I plan to get a couple of triangulation bars in to make sure it's strong enough.

I put a dash in and got the shifter mounted up. It sits quite high, but I think it should be ok

And finally, I have been fitting the gear set in the box. It all went together very easily. Reverse idler needed machining though as these gears are wider than standard, so there was an interference issue. You can see in the picture it's still a tight fit.

Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
Nod

Post by Nod »

It will be nice to work with you again on an MR2. Make a change from V8's and GT4's :)

Your old car was fun, this one looks immense. :o
ashley

Post by ashley »

...guessing I'm off the hook for wiring then? :wink:

Can't wait to see this one running 8)
Century Motorsport

Well between Lyndon and one of the lads I have working for me, they will get the wiring sorted.

I appreciate your kind offer though Ashley :)
ashley

Post by ashley »

It's all good- I'm glad Nod is doing it for you- he'll do an ace job :thumleft:
Century Motorsport

Some more updates... The car went off to have some fabrication work done to it. Fuel tank compartment, Water tank fixing down, parachute fitted, and the first stage of the rad duct made..

And then after nearly 3 months of waiting, the custom full carbon clutch arrived from ATS & across.
Such a lovely piece of kit..

And finally, Kakarakis Exhaust Fabrication have made this custom manifold for me. Lovely

The car is booked in on the 17th May for an NHRA certificated 8.50 cage to be fitted.
This will be the next step.

Soon I should get back the final pieces of the engine and then the build can commence.
Nod

Post by Nod »

Can I suggest the looms done before the cage. Working around a cage is a real ball ache (well more a head ache, a rib ache and a back ache).
Century Motorsport

Nod wrote:Can I suggest the looms done before the cage. Working around a cage is a real ball ache (well more a head ache, a rib ache and a back ache).

I'm afraid that the cage has been booked in for weeks and is currently being fitted.... I'll get the nurofen and hot compress ready!
Century Motorsport

So a decent sized update today. The car has been away getting some bits made for it.

As the fuel tank couldn't go in the front of the car due to the radiator ducting, it is going in the cabin with me. It's a 20L ATL race cell, but for certain drag regulations you're not allowed to have the fuel cell in the same area as the driver without having its own compartment, so its now in a nicely sealed alloy box..

The water tank for the charge cooler will also be sat in the cabin. I'm trying to keep weight as far forwards as I can. This had a bracket made up to sit snug in the passenger side foot well..

And then I got some brackets and clips made up to be able to secure the charge cooler core..

Next up was the parachute mount. Hopefully it'll be strong enough, theres enough re enforcement there. I'll be doing a few tests before I decide to use it in anger on the strip though...

Finally, I needed a duct made to go from the rad to the bulkhead. It needed to be as air tight as possible - I think it was a good outcome. Next up is making the duct for the bonnet. I've yet to decide exactly how this will happen, though.

Now the car is off having an 8.50 NHRA spec cage put into it.
I expect to get it back in around a week or so.
Century Motorsport

The engine side of the project has be planned out for a long time, but there has been some delays on final parts which has meant that physical progress not been possible up until this week. The head gasket that has been custom made has finally arrived and now the machining can start on the block. I should have all the bits back in my possession in a couple of weeks and then I can build the bottom end. Fingers crossed I should have the head back soon and then we are really cooking with gas..

The turbo manifold arrived from Kakarakis Exhaust Fabrication. Its a work of art. Extremely heavy duty!

And finally the Skunk 2 inlet manifold has been modified to fit the 3s flange. Its very tight, but it clears the bulkhead and rail. Got a bit of cleaning up to do to the runners, but its come out very well internally -

And finally I got some bits arrive from the States. Peterson flower pot style drag spec dry sump tank, 2 x 38mm waste gates, a fuel rail and other goodies from HUX racing and 8 x ID 1700 injectors from injector dynamics.
After deciding what fuel we will be using we discovered that the ID 2000's weren't compatible with the fuel, so they were returned and the 1700's replaced them. So got to figure out the way to fit the additional rail and injectors yet...

Century Motorsport

Got the car back from websters the other day. The quality of their work is fantastic.

It's now boasting a cromolley tig welded 8.50 NHRA certificated cage.

Now I need to paint it!

ashley

Post by ashley »

:clap:
craig

Post by craig »

Man, this thing is going to EPIC. Nice work so far! :clap:
Century Motorsport

So we made a start on wiring the chassis loom this week. First of all we identified the lengths we needed for each electrical item and then we labelled it all up.
We've ordered the wires now, so the build of that loom will start next week.

Lots of fun (not) masking and painting the roll cage as well.
It just needs a final coat and then a lacquer to protect it a little.

And gave the gearbox a lick of paint

And finally a different master cylinder so we can get rid of the servo

Century Motorsport

So the cage has been all sprayed and its come out great. Really really pleased with the result

I then made a start on the bonnet, as this needs to be modified for the radiator duct.

I did lots of measuring for where the duct will be cut, and then got the grinder out.

It's now with a fibreglass shop where they will make some side panels for the scoop.
Once that's all done, there will be a metal shroud fabricated, which will marry up to the bonnet scoop perfectly once the bonnet is closed.
The angle of the scoop is very important to get the best results.

Other bits have been happening. Mainly just cleaning and painting small bits. Fairly un exciting stuff, but all part of the end result and presentation is everything!
ashley

Post by ashley »

Good work- is that as far as you're going to bend the scoop in the bonnet down, or are you going further?
Century Motorsport

Yes it will go a lot further Ash. The opening is 175mm.
When it's finished, it should be a pretty straight line from the rad to the exit of the scoop.
Century Motorsport

After the cage was all sprayed up, it was time to fit the rear window.
Due to the cage coming through the window area, I had to make a template so I could figure where i needed to cut the window.

Then I had to take a cutter to the lexan window... Stressful times, but worked out very well

Rear 1/4's were a little more straightforward

I got a panel made for the standard dash, so I can mount the AIM dash into it.
Should look great once all installed

Next up was making some brake lines for the line lock and aftermarket brake cylinder. I enjoy making these up, I find it very therapeutic

And then I installed one of the most important parts of the car, the fire extinguisher! I went for an electric activated one as I'm not a huge fan of pull wires, plus it's neater!

Latch for the fuel tank compartment

Halfway through modifying the front struts to turn them into coil overs.
This will give me more options on rideheight and different Spring rates

Rear corner finished (apart from securing the brake line)

And a little pic of the car sat on the wheel

Return to “Project Cars”