Century Motorsport Drag Car Build

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SonicSW20

Re: Century Motorsport Drag Car Build

Post by SonicSW20 »

Sounds like you're really cracking on with this! When do you reckon we'll see its first outing?
Century Motorsport

Post by Century Motorsport »

I gave myself a time frame of a year when I commenced the project September.
I think it'll be before that. If it isn't, someone else is going to run an 8 before me for sure.
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
Century Motorsport

Just a little update. Got an AIM MXL Pista dash sorted for the car. Should do everything I want it to do and will be connected to the ecu via canbus.

Finally got the car into the workshop. As you can see it's a little sorry for itself. It'll be stripped down over the coming month and prepped and painted.

It'll under go a weight loss plan too.

Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
Century Motorsport

So we made some progress on the car. Stripped everything out of it apart from the corners, so it's still mobile. We've done some basic weight loss on it, but will get more off it as time goes along.

The search for lightweight bodywork is now on. I got a carbon bootlid and some skirts.
The plan here is to go function over form. The skirts look like they will work well in conjunction with a flat floor. The will be modified slightly from original form.
I'm also on the look out for a toms front bumper. This too will be modified from standard for aero purposes.

Century Motorsport

Some goodies arrived this week.
Thank you to project sponsors, DP engine parts.
These a a bespoke design for my requirements. A long rod and high compression piston design, with vertical porting and extremely heavy duty wrist pins.

The quality and attention to detail on these items it top class.

Century Motorsport

More goodies arriving for the project. Huge thanks to Link ECU for their sponsorship.

Having used link in the last drag project with much success, it seemed sensible to do the same this time round.

The latest link G4+ fury will be the brain of the operation.

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

This is going to be so good when it's done :D :D
ashley

Post by ashley »

Very nice- those pistons look proper!
Century Motorsport

It's all quite exciting at the minute. A slow steady stream of parts arriving.

Just need to sort transmission and clutch out and I think that's everything sorted for it.
J-1

Post by J-1 »

Any updates?
Century Motorsport

Not a great deal. I stripped the engine out of the donor car (huge shame as it was in amazing condition... Too good to strip really!)

I dropped the block off yesterday for line boring of the new mains and the shell is undergoing prep work now ready for painting.

I've a big box of bits on their way to me at the minute which will help move things along.

I'm just waiting on moroso to finish off be dry sump pan so the next lot of bits can be shipped over and I can then crack on with building the bottom end up.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

I just love how you can get monster power from... that! :lol:
Century Motorsport

So the shell has been undergoing prep work. Everything is now removed and it's had a thorough clean and unwanted brackets removed. It'll soon be ready for paint

And this arrived today. A skunk2 ultra race manifold from a k20 Honda. It's a great design and the fact you can alter the plenum size is a big attraction. I have the 4.5L and 5.5L spacers too so we can experiment when on the dyno.
Just need to change the flange on the runners and make it fit.

ashley

Post by ashley »

Nice! Are you using a boot mounted intercooler again?
Mike N

Post by Mike N »

Nathan,

They must be the pistons discussed in our PM's I thought you had mispelt CP for a minute!

I lightened my Tubby shell far more on my Ford RS200 replica build especially so at the rear.
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

This looks like it will be awesome.

What turbo are you using on this?
No 2 :(
Century Motorsport

Mike N wrote:Nathan,

They must be the pistons discussed in our PM's I thought you had mispelt CP for a minute!

I lightened my Tubby shell far more on my Ford RS200 replica build especially so at the rear.

Yes Mike, that's the same make I mentioned. Although these are custom design for my build so look a little different to a normal 3/5s piston.

Got any pictures of your build? Always good to see what other people are up to!
Century Motorsport

Another batch of parts arrived yesterday.

90mm electric throttle. This should help with idle, any form of traction control if we choose to run it and many other advantages over cable throttle

ARP 625+ head studs supplied again by the lovely folk at Brian crower

Aeromotive fuel filter, pressure Reg and pump. The picture doesn't really give an impression of size as regulators are usually pretty small. They are fairly heafty units, the Reg is around 7" high.
I decided to go mechanical pump so there isn't a multiple electric pump setup to complicate things and also I am planning on using a methanol blend fuel, which all these parts are designed to work with.

4 individual smart coils that should be able to produce a strong enough spark at the power levels we are aiming for. Also a set of DIY ignition leads.

And finally a set of 2000cc injector dynamics id2000's. By my calculations these should be able to deliver the amount of fuel I need at the baseline fuel pressure.
The beauty of these is that they can deliver over 3000cc at a higher fuel pressure, although I would rather try and avoid this situation if at all possible.

The turbo I will be using is an older design turbo. It's actually an innovative turbo, who no longer exist. It's a 68/72 and is designed specifically for high boost, so around 3 bar should be achievable.
Century Motorsport

Progress is moving slowly. The car is being prepped for paint -

Some nasty damage on rear 1/4 so may need to replace that

PWR 1200hp capable charge cooler core

AEM 4 channel wideband unit. Back pressure sensor to follow

And a stage brake too, probably the cheapest part in the car!

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Nice!

Is a staging brake essentially a hydraulic handbrake?

Return to “Project Cars”