[Mk2] [SC] Running TD06 on stock engine

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

CalMac

[Mk2] [SC] Running TD06 on stock engine

Post by CalMac »

Engine is a Rev 3.

I'll be using a Greddy intercooler, and probably dual SBC with an aftermarket exhaust and DP on (probably) a PFC.

I should be able to run similar power to CT20B at it's limit without upgrading fueling and opening the block right?

Long term I'll be investing in the engine a bit to get the most out of the turbo but for now I just need to know that an ATS TD06 will perform ok at about 310/320bhp (ie. not massive lag and destroying stuff).
C35Rob

Re: [Mk2] [SC] Running TD06 on stock engine

Post by C35Rob »

I'd say a power FC (or alternative - megasquirt, e- manage ultimate, link etc etc) is an absolute must as you will be moving more cfm at any given boost pressure than a little ct20 would be.

dependent on boost pressure you'd most probably get away with an Apexi SAFC too whilst you're on standard internals, but down the line when you gun for bigger things you'll definitely need something mappable

personally (this is coming from a power FC owner..) I think the E-manage ultimate is better than the power FC in many areas - it does datalogging out of the box (you need to buy a datalogit to go with a PFC), launch control (two step rev limiter), autotune function etc.. and they're mega cheap.
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Are many mappers happy to work with the E-Manage? I'm not really certain of any additional features I'd need to be honest, I'm just looking for a little bit more power and am happy driving the car as it is. I guess some people would love data-logging etc. and it's probably important for monitoring performance and engine health but I essentially just want an ECU that's just going to do what it needs to with no gimmicks (I'm a bit old school in that respect!)
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Also I'm lazy and love the idea of a low-maintenance fun car (hence why I bought a Eunos). It's lucky my purchase of a 480rwhp FD fell through I suppose :lol:
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

CalMac wrote:Engine is a Rev 3.

I'll be using a Greddy intercooler, and probably dual SBC with an aftermarket exhaust and DP on (probably) a PFC.

I should be able to run similar power to CT20B at it's limit without upgrading fueling and opening the block right?

Long term I'll be investing in the engine a bit to get the most out of the turbo but for now I just need to know that an ATS TD06 will perform ok at about 310/320bhp (ie. not massive lag and destroying stuff).

The stock rev 3 ECU works great with any turbo or cams you put in the engine up to the max fuel flow of the injectors, around 330 HP.
Just keep the max boost down or you will end up running under the control of the knock sensor
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

boost for boost, it doesnt make a great deal more than a ct20b, so id imagine it would be fine on a stock ecu.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

CalMac wrote:Are many mappers happy to work with the E-Manage? I'm not really certain of any additional features I'd need to be honest, I'm just looking for a little bit more power and am happy driving the car as it is. I guess some people would love data-logging etc. and it's probably important for monitoring performance and engine health but I essentially just want an ECU that's just going to do what it needs to with no gimmicks (I'm a bit old school in that respect!)

anyone that can map PFC will (should) be able to do E-manage too, the beauty of it is that it comes with the software and cable, and the built in datalogging and autotune function means its easy to do it yourself

I've had one before (on an mx5) and i'm currently looking for one for my laurel
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
2mad

Post by 2mad »

jimGTS wrote:boost for boost, it doesnt make a great deal more than a ct20b, so id imagine it would be fine on a stock ecu.

Im sure it pushes a bit more air than a ct20b Jim 8-[

Stock ecu should be fine at the right boost :D
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

TD06 is pretty laggy I found. You'll have to change the WG spring or you'll be running out of fuel. I ran 350 ish at 1 bar so be careful or you'll be rebuilding your engine sooooooon
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Gee Man wrote:TD06 is pretty laggy I found. You'll have to change the WG spring or you'll be running out of fuel. I ran 350 ish at 1 bar so be careful or you'll be rebuilding your engine sooooooon

350 @1.0bar sounds very nice :thumleft:
gt4 wrc

Post by gt4 wrc »

I used to run a TD06 on my old Rev 2
laggy but when it comes in - it was very torquey.

I found it would knock the back end out if on a slight bend so had a few opposite lock moments...

mine had, from japan, additional injectors (in the intercooler pipe iirc) and a piggyback fueling system... tbh I didnt play around with it and it drove AMAZING!

sounds like your gonna have a great set up :)

Return to “Modifications”