Other MR2 driver reactions

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

CalMac

Other MR2 driver reactions

Post by CalMac »

I hardly ever see other mk2's, but I'm fairly certain 90% of mk3 owners (especially women) don't even realise we're driving the same model car when I spot them. I never get a wave or light flash back :lol:

Anybody else find this to be the case? I perceive there to be very little crossing of IMOCers between the generations of MR2 here on the forum. We're all driving the same car essentially but I've only spoken to one or two owners of the other generations on IMOC and I find this very weird :-k

Is it because the cars are considered to be quite different and so not really much in common? I'd like to try a mk3 at some point, but have never really been much into mk1's. I guess at meets etc. is where we're bound to come together but AFAIK there aren't any MR2 meets local to me.
danjama

Re: Other MR2 driver reactions

Post by danjama »

Mk3's definitely appeal to non petrolheads and those that want a reasonably sporty/economical convertible. When I spot a mk3 I wait to see if they notice me first :lol:
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

They never notice :cry: haha

It's odd isn't it, that people who really aren't into cars would choose to go and buy a RWD mid-engined 'sporty' car like a mk3 or even a MG TF - I have a feeling that their only criteria is cheapness.

In fact I'm not sure why anybody would buy an F/TF :lol:
Draven

Post by Draven »

People tend to buy a car like a MK3 because of its looks.

Nothing else really comes into it.

(massive generalisation there i know)
craig

Post by craig »

I only wave at mk2s. Mk3s don't generally get bought by enthusiasts, but people who just want a cheap convertible.

I appreciate enthusiasts buy mk3s, but it's a minority compared to the majority who just want a summer convertible.
cosmos

2 OR 3

Post by cosmos »

Toyota's criteria to its designers was we need a sports car for our young executives and it must be able to carry a full set of golf clubs, the iconic Mk 2 was created.
The Mk 3 is not as practical for space, but is a balanced fun 1.8litre driving machine.
The GT86 is also 1.8litre.
cosmos

2 OR 3

Post by cosmos »

Toyota's criteria to its designers was we need a sports car for our young executives and it must be able to carry a full set of golf clubs, the iconic Mk 2 was created.
The Mk 3 is not as practical for space, but is a balanced fun 1.8litre driving machine.
Kiddo

Post by Kiddo »

I've probably only seen about five mk2s on the road since I've been an owner. The first one I waved to I had a massively enthusiastic wave back from the other driver which made me glad to be back behind the wheel of a car that gets recognition from other owners again :thumleft: but it's been all down hill since... I flashed the next one and got the smallest most reluctant looking finger raise back (not the middle one though!) then after that, well, I might as well have been driving my Mondeo...
JD

Post by JD »

I always got more nods/thumbs up from GT-four drivers than MR2 drivers lol
JD

Post by JD »

Draven wrote:People tend to buy a car like a MK3 because of its looks.

Nothing else really comes into it.

(massive generalisation there i know)

It doesn't even look that pretty, although the looks are growing on me, particular with a C-One kit or similar. You have to sacrifice a lot to want a Mk3 over say an MX-5 or a warm hatch with similar performance - almost no luggage space :(
Draven

Post by Draven »

Yeah.. i've got a MX5.. as a temp Mr2 replacement. I'd choose one over a MK3 anyday.
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Re: 2 OR 3

Post by Jaspa »

cosmos wrote:Toyota's criteria to its designers was we need a sports car for our young executives and it must be able to carry a full set of golf clubs, the iconic Mk 2 was created.

I'll give you 1 out of 3 . :eye:

The mk2 was designed to be able to carry 2 sets of clubs. Clicky

The GT86 is a 2 litre

But the mk3 is definately a balanced fun 1.8 litre driving machine :thumleft:

I never considered buying a mk3 until a kitted one came up for sale on here, now I couldn't consider going back to a mk1 or a mk2, But then I have the Legnum for practicallity and power. The mk3 is just for fun and trackdays
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
craig

Post by craig »

If I wanted a mk3, it'd have to be:

Black MR-S import
Full body kit
Lowered
Bronze Te37 wheels
Have a 3S-GTE engine fitted

Other than that, I wouldn't have one. :mrgreen:
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Post by Jaspa »

I'm not convinced that the 3S-GTE would compliment the car TBH, don't get me wrong I'd love to try it and the car is sorely lacking in grunt but I'd still want drivability over raw power. Personal Opinion of course :thumleft:
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

I think despite the generally negative reactions to the engine when I posted about getting a 2zz-swapped mk3 a few months back, it is the ideal engine for the car. If Lotus were happy to use it then it must be pretty decent!

The mk3 has a lot of potential - on Best Motoring they had a 2zz mk3 which dominated all of the competition on downhill touge, and Keiichi loved it :lol: I'm still very tempted to have one, but only with the GT300 Monocraft kit and a 2zz (or a K20) but tbh I'd rather save up and fork out for an Elise :twisted:

My Eunos keeps me happy for now though \:D/
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

I don't think I have ever not been waved at by a fellow mk1'er if we spot each other but it's rare to see one. Occasional wave from mk2 drivers and I don't bother with mk3's as they are not really enthusiast owned. I find a lot of mk2 drivers are mk1 ignorant thinking their marque is the only mr2 produced? One of my favourite mr2 moments was being waved at to say 'see ya' by a mk2 rev 3 na pulling onto a dual carriage way then overtaking with the greatest of ease as he trashed the nuts off it :eye:
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
AW11mike

Post by AW11mike »

I got a thumbs up at my MK1 from a MK2 driver a couple of weeks ago :thumleft:
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

Ollie@PacificWorks wrote:I don't think I have ever not been waved at by a fellow mk1'er if we spot each other but it's rare to see one. Occasional wave from mk2 drivers and I don't bother with mk3's as they are not really enthusiast owned. I find a lot of mk2 drivers are mk1 ignorant thinking their marque is the only mr2 produced? One of my favourite mr2 moments was being waved at to say 'see ya' by a mk2 rev 3 na pulling onto a dual carriage way then overtaking with the greatest of ease as he trashed the nuts off it :eye:

:lol: Was this in your 1.5?
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

Odin_S wrote:

:lol: Was this in your 1.5?

Hey mate, yep the old slow one! :thumleft:
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
Lee H

Post by Lee H »

RedMR² wrote:If I wanted a mk3, it'd have to be:

Black MR-S import
Full body kit
Lowered
Bronze Te37 wheels
Have a 3S-GTE engine fitted

Other than that, I wouldn't have one. :mrgreen:

Sounds very similar to mine bar my fake Rays.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”