Battery Drain

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

andyroo104

Battery Drain

Post by andyroo104 »

I have a serious battery drain on my mk1,if left for three days then the car will not start,I checked to find I have a 320ma draw,so went ahead pulling out the fuses one at a time until it dropped to 190ma,this was when I removed the dome fuse of which powers the clock,fogs and interior light.
Could not get it to drop any lower I also unplugged the alternator but still no drop,I have fitted a new battery and alternator recently in case these were the problem,any ideas anyone please?
vashy

Re: Battery Drain

Post by vashy »

So, to confirm, if you put your meter in place of the dome fuse you see 130mA?

Any measurable ohms from the fusing point, through the circuit, to ground? That would make it easier to track down, because you could measure the resistance of different points in the circuit, like just the clock.

With all fuses pulled, any immobiliser (?) disconnected, alternator disconnected and starter relay pulled, you still see 190mA?
. . 6 . 7 . 8
5 . . . . i . . 9
Basirk
Premium Member

Re: Battery Drain

Post by Basirk »

A common problem is that the ignition key is removed when in the Acc position.
The mechanism should prevent this, but with time it wears out.

If you don't already, try pushing and holding the button on top of the key barrel (on the steering column) while moving the key to the final Off position, then remove the key.

If the digital clock in the middle of the dash is still on, the ignition is not in the Off position.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”