JLW's ( REV 3 GT spec Turbo, smg Tbar ) YVS Performance Built

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

markstevieandmads

Re: JLW's ( REV 3 GT spec Turbo, smg Tbar ) YVS Performance Built

Post by markstevieandmads »

There's a guy nr Birmingham called Nigel and he's doing some bomex drift wings.

I got one ordered :evil:
craig

Post by craig »

markstevieandmads wrote:There's a guy nr Birmingham called Nigel and he's doing some bomex drift wings.

I got one ordered :evil:

Nigel's stuff is good quality. My Border rear spats and diffuser are from him. :thumleft:

Out of the Greddy, Rev 5 and Bomex, I think the Bomex one looks great. I may even be swayed by one, if it was original.

The problem with aftermarket copy spoilers, is that the construction in not on par with the authentic item.

I had a TRD spoiler from MR2 Ben, and although it didn't take much effort to fit, after about a month of opening and shutting the boot lid, cracks started to appear along the join lines of the spoiler posts :(

With that in mind, I personally would only go for an OEM spoiler, or an Authentic aftermarket one, i.e. genuine Bomex.

Due to the chance of you finding an authentic Greddy or Bomex, I'd go for an OEM rev 5.
EarL

Post by EarL »

Thats. Bloody. Gorgeous. :thumleft:
JLW

Post by JLW »

EarL wrote:Thats. Bloody. Gorgeous. :thumleft:

Thanks Pal, its coming along nicely. still plenty to do.
EarL

Post by EarL »

Are you going to fit rear spats of some sort? As much as the car looks amazing, it looks like it's missing something at the rear of the arch.

As for spoilers, I'm a massive fan of the stock Rev 3. I think it suits the car perfectly, but of the ones shown, I'd opt for the Rev 5 with carbon inserts and wing.

EarL
JLW

Post by JLW »

Yeah I actually bought a set of Genuine Gracer spats,
They were painted and about to be fitted by DPM when
We realised the angle of the Blitz Nur spec wouldn't allow them
To fit.

So I'm getting the OE spats painted up along with some engine parts soon and
Having them fitted. TBH I went off the look of the Gracer ones since then anyways.

I'm thinking OE Rev 5 with possibly having carbon risers made, but not really
High ones as some American cars I've seen. Can't decide if I love or hate it , but it's easy to take off if I decide the latter lol.
JLW

Post by JLW »

Recently had a issue with starting the car,
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... highlight=
turned out it was as simple as the battery being knackered.

so picked up a new Bosch s4 from euro car parts in T Wells, was also served by the most miserable, rude, F**K but hey ho.

fitted in in with the bracket in place, this took a few times as it kept popping out of place.

And then re-fitted all the trim and spare.
JLW

Post by JLW »

So I've been working on the Interior for a while now getting it how I want.
Then recently a set of Recaro Speed Reps came up for sale, I was originally and still might be going for a set of Corbeau RRB's but as these were cheap and in good condition I decided to buy. If even for a stop gap.

Drove up to Essex to meet Tom ( Parker455 ) and he helpfully fitted them with me there and then as I PX'ed my GT seats, I know the GT seats are worth pretty good money, but thats to someone who's after a standard interior / seat, which isn't to often as I've seen by the lack of replies in the "parts for sale" section on here.

Then it was onto Pacific Works as I had a list of small modifications that I wanted carried out.
1. fit Phoenix Power SMIC bracket ( the previous owner had cable tied the fan in place )
2. Check ignition timing
3. diagnostics check
4. spots of weld on the feet to the runners on Recaro reps for extra safety in event of a crash
5. Adjust handbrake ( still not perfect, I'm guessing it needs new cables )

Anyway with that all done I headed home, and began bringing the seats back to life. they were in good condition for £150 pounds, but had bolster wear and the leather was dry and had lost its shine. The missus suggested that Black leather shoe polish and a decent brush to apply and buff with a yellow dusting cloth to remove any residue or last remains would do the trick and she was right.

This is with the coat of Polish / Carnauba wax soaking in after a generous apply

And then after, buffed with a proper brush and then about an hours worth of elbow grease with yellow polishing cloths ( very important and there was tons of left over polish, which would F**K any white clothes )
Very happy with the results.

A week or so later Tom got hold of me to say that a mate of his ( Stumr2lee )
had a mint set of leather door cards and would like to swap for my GT door cards, we arranged to meet in essex and swapped them over.
fitted in about an hour and look the business with the new seats.

My door cards being removed
And the new ones fitted
They really ties in with the seats, however to finish it off I'm going to try and source a black Tbar headlining or look into dyeing the one i have along with the
blinds and sun visors.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

JLW wrote:So wondered on you guys opinions.
Before I have Dave at DPM re-spray the remaining bodywork on the car,
I'm wanting to change the spoiler and possibly source a Border Bonnet.

However I'm stuck on which spoiler to go for, here are my options.

1. Greddy Spoiler ( My favourite and hardest to find )
Image Replaced With URL For Quote [url]http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh576/jordanleewhyte/Trust%20Greddy%20spoiler%201_zpsijamojdq.jpg[/URL]
2. Border / Bomex spoiler / drift wing
Image Replaced With URL For Quote [url]http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh576/jordanleewhyte/border%20spoiler_zpsz1jmsjlf.jpg[/URL]
3. Rev 5 spoiler
Image Replaced With URL For Quote [url]http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh576/jordanleewhyte/1.0x0_zpsqwhryw2x.jpg[/URL]

whats your thoughts ?

Drift all the f'in way .. i fitted kei office love me a wing or duck tail ... sorry i was late to this one 8-[
2mad

Post by 2mad »

This was mine if youve never looked Image
JLW

Post by JLW »

Yeah I do like that spoiler, but I'm going for a Rev 5
Then I'm gonna have small custom carbon risers made for it.
Like you see on a lot of the US motors but lower.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

JLW wrote:Yeah I do like that spoiler, but I'm going for a Rev 5
Then I'm gonna have small custom carbon risers made for it.
Like you see on a lot of the US motors but lower.

Yeah rev5 was my no.2 spoiler on my list ... keep us updated, sounds great with extensions :thumleft:
JLW

Post by JLW »

So a few more minor cosmetic and mechanical Mod's

Nice quick and easy modification, changed the clock colour.
literally took less then 10 minutes.

Then fitted the new Crystal headlight units that I bought from Ebay for £30 brand new, these are clearly Raybrig copies. But as Craig said. even if they only last for a year or two, its still cheaper to buy a new set then a set of Raybrigs in the first place. Also fitted brand new Osram night breaker bulbs and makes a massive difference ! you could almost say ...... Night and Day........
Ill get my coat.

Another thing thats been happening in the background, is getting the dash looking like a newer car, my Daily ( A4 Sline 2010 ) has gloss black plastics on the dash and it gives a nice look to the interior. I've seen people paint the dash plastics on the MR2's before, albeit colour coding to their car. Now I'm not one to judge but I think it looks a bit tacky. So I asked a mate of mine who's handy with a gun to paint them for me. This was actually done way back when i bought the car. but haven't had them fitted yet..... very long story involving AC unit led install and SBITS.....
anyway here they are, I'm hoping to fit tonight depending on said AC Unit !
He did a great job, no swirls or over spray. hopefully they will nice fitted and not Tacky.
Rob66

Post by Rob66 »

Great job, love the gloss black trim bet that will look really good. Rev5 spoiler will look the business body colour with gloss black wing would look spot on.
JLW

Post by JLW »

Just fitted it today mate, will get pics up tomorrow
It looks amazing. Really transforms the interior. Makes the
Car feel and look so modern in.

Next up is PP spats and a Rev 5 spoiler with a black blade as you have said.
JLW

Post by JLW »

Whilst having the arch work done by Arch Enemy, Simon used a windy gun to remove and replace the wheel bolts, subsequently it chipped away the anodising on my blue "Tuner" wheel nuts and they started to rust and look cheap and nasty, tbh after a while I had gone off the colour, its looked a bit tacky alongside the rest of the car. So last week I ordered a new set of Super Forma wheel nuts in a similar design for extended studs like mine, this time in black with their logo etched into them. They look much better.

To:

Then finally got some decent photo's of the motor yesterday in the sun after giving it a full inside and out clean using Valet Pro gear, highly recommend the stuff. Especially the "Dragons Breath" wheel cleaner with Valet Pro's magic tree wheel brush, your wheels bleed red where the acid eats the carbon fall out from the brake pads.

here you go :)
And finally my favourite.
JLW

Post by JLW »

So after owning the car for nearly 6 months and for almost all that time having the dash plastics removed I finally decided that I was as happy as I could be with the AC Unit, the backlighting still isn't perfect. But for the summer it will do and I can re-visit it come winter. I knew as soon as I bought the car that I wanted to modernise the interior. And having the AC unit with the custom LED install I believed this would make a massive difference, in hindsight I wouldn't bother again. but thats another story.....

These were a massive pain in the ar$e to fit and the cul de sac was given a first class swearing lesson. But here they are, with the addition of my new MOMO boss and OMP Corsica 330mm x 95mm dished wheel.

This wheel has transformed the drive of the car. I love it. takes a little while getting used to having to reach for the indicator stalks as opposed to just hitting them with your fingers. But a worthwhile issue to deal with such a good wheel.

The pics do not do the interior justice, it feels like a car 10 years younger with the gloss black plastics. I also now have a black T-Bar headlining with all the trim on its way to finish off the bulk of the interior. Its really going to help as Im really digging the black on black feel inside.

craig

Post by craig »

Man, that's one tasty looking MR2. :D

Nice work mate. Did you get some spats for the rear, or still undecided on which ones to go for?
JLW

Post by JLW »

Cheers buddy, yeah its coming along nicely.
Still got a fair bit to go until I'm happy with the aesthetics.

In regards to spats Im 99% sure I'm going to get Phoenix Power ones,
that Nigel Smith on eBay that you and other have recommend sells them
for a little under £70.

I think the border spats only look good with the side skirts IMO.

Going to order a set next Thursday and also put out a post to try and buy a OEM rev 5 spoiler, will have them painted in SMG but with a black blade and end caps on the spoiler.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

F/ck me bud thats so nice and i mean nice =P~ ... keep on keeping on :D

Return to “Member Profiles”