JLW's ( REV 3 GT spec Turbo, smg Tbar ) YVS Performance Built

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

craig

Re: JLW's ( REV 3 GT spec Turbo, smg Tbar ) YVS Performance Built

Post by craig »

ET35 is the perfect offset for 8/9 widths ideally. I personally would remove the 5mm spacers. They're giving you fewer turns on the nuts anyway, and the wheel won't be sat perfectly on the hub.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Cool and ps. i was et33 or 32 on the rear 8)
WhisperingWasp

Post by WhisperingWasp »

JLW wrote:possibly pal, I'm after a set of the UK solid side mouldings in good condition where I'm not going to have to install new bolts due to damage etc, you have a set ?

Sorry not sure exactly what you mean...? :?

I have some crystal clear style ones at the mo.
JLW

Post by JLW »

RedMR² wrote:ET35 is the perfect offset for 8/9 widths ideally. I personally would remove the 5mm spacers. They're giving you fewer turns on the nuts anyway, and the wheel won't be sat perfectly on the hub.

I have installed new wheel studs all round mate, and the ones on the rear are 13mm longer than standard so no issues there, also the spacers that I intend to buy to replace the universals I'm using on the rear are H&R ones that are hub centric.

Even with a tapered spigot ring they seem to have a couple of mill on the hub, although I'm thinking of getting custom made spigot's that don't have a tapered lip to get those extra MM's on the hub lip, also having the wheel's Torqued up correctly helps.
JLW

Post by JLW »

So the cars been with Abbey Motorsport recently to see what power she's currently running at and then build a plan from there. Abbey have a hub based Dyno so perfect for WHP measurements.

As you can see below it makes 234.4 at the wheels. which equates to around 260bhp flywheel figures ( so Mark says )

the cars running
.Blitz nur spec R
.Phoenix Power SMIC
.Greddy Adjustable Dump valve
.Aftermarket Cone filter

Very happy with these figures for a 20 year old car, clearly has been looked after prior throughout its life. it gives us a good base to work from. Mark at Abbey has suggested a Link or aftermarket ECU and De-cat with another session on the dyno and I should see 300bhp.

Also purchased some new leads and spark plugs as I hadn't seen them on the service history for a few years.

craig

Post by craig »

Nice! Just for comparison, I'm running:

Apexi Power FC
CT20b turbo
HKS Exhaust
Decat
Top mount charge cooler with HKS SSQV
KO Racing induction kit with K&N cone filter
Wossner 86.5mm forged pistons
Blitz DSBC - 1.2 bar

Stock head/injectors/cams

306bhp @ 1.2 bar

300 bhp is easily achievable on a rev 3 turbo. I'd defo go for the aftermarket ecu though, then boost/fuel etc can be mapped all the way up to your increased boost setting.
craig

Post by craig »

Also, if you don't have a boost controller, I'd either buy one and a Power FC ecu, or go for an ECU with built in boost control. :thumleft:
JLW

Post by JLW »

Hi Mate

Im gonna see what Abbey suggest but I think thats the way they are going, this car will be a daily driver and obviously it will need to be reliable so i will try to keep the boost as low as possible.

Its running the standard rubber intake at the moment with a cheap cone filter, would you recommend any intake and filter specifically, I have now removed all
they air box unit which clears a direct air path to the passenger engine vent which I'm hoping should help.

At the moment I'm quite preoccupied with the aesthetics of the car, currently having Greddy Gracer side skirts made by Patrick Chambers, have genuine Gracer spats and also have a Polyurethane Aeroware lip on its way.

once all parts are here its off to DPM auto body to be painted and fitted, can wait :)
JLW

Post by JLW »

So a little update engine wise, I popped up to see Luke @ Pacific Works recently for a few little tweaks here and there.

First of all was an issue I caused myself, whilst trying to get the linkage in a better state of condition and fitting a new BRD bush kit to the gear selector bushings, I wanted to Rotate the cube 90 degrees for new faces as many people have done previously.

It wasn't until I realised that the starter motor had to come off to gain access that things started to become lets say ... interesting. It took me around an hour and a half to get the two main bolts that hold the starter motor off, in the midst of this hour the neighbours were treated to again, some first class queens english.

However once said bolts were removed I now had a pretty much seized on SM,
During this period of bashing with a hammer is when I ruined it, but I hadn't realised that yet. after pretty much giving up and realising I was out of my depth I put the car back together with its new bushes and then proceeded to try and start it.......nothing.

2 hours of stress thinking i had put the clifford in a state of valet mode or something was only cut short when a mate suggested to try and bump it, it worked and there we had a car that couldn't be turned off all the way to pacific works ( hour and halfs drive with quarter of a tank left )

Anyways I managed it, and Luke fitted a new SM after rotating the cube, and sorting the linkage, and fitted a new Berk Tech de-cat pipe that I had sourced from Red. it makes a fair difference in sound thats for sure !

next to the new Berk Tech De-cat, it probably weighs 1/5th of the OE unit !
JLW

Big Paint Update

Post by JLW »

So I've finally got round to posting an update on the recent body work I've had carried out, from day one of buying the car I already had an idea on what I wanted to do aesthetically. I wanted to keep the car looking classy and almost like it could have come from the factory with the kit as a toyota upgrade package. Nothing out of the normal here.

So I started collecting the parts needed, first I started by getting a set or Greddy Gracer side skirts made, Patrick Chambers from P Body was recommended and I ordered a set. At the same time I managed to find an Polyurethane Aeroware front lip from Ade Glover in brand new condition which I genuinely never thought I'd find. Also Ade supplied me with a set of "twin cam 16 turbo" side trims as mine had snapped off when removing later on whilst the car was being stripped ready for prep.

Also managed to secure a set of genuine Greddy Gracer rear spats from Julian,
and purchased a new set of from blank side trims to replace the toblerone side indicators from MR2BEN.

So the car was driven down to DPM Autobody in Herstmonceux to be booked in with Dave. a day later I received this pic from him
Next up was to cut the only section of rust on the whole car ( rear drivers sill ) and weld in a new plate, this car is seriously clean and we have inspected every inch and have not found another piece of even surface rust. So to have this fixed and a new section welded in and painted finishes of a mint shell.
Next up Dave began fitting the side skirts to see if much adaptation was needed, turns out they needed quite a bit of fettling, but this can only come to be expected of a non genuine item I guess, trial fitting and points being noted.
The plan was to fit the aeroware front lip and smooth of the numberplate holding section, Dave mentioned how flimsy these bumpers are and that they almost fold in half if you leave them unattended due to the composition of the plastic. This made it harder to smooth the holes as fibreglass backing needed to be used opposed to plastic welding, but the result has come out flawless.
Then it was time for all the body pieces being painted to be prepped and painted, I've had all side trims, both front and rear bumpers including spats and front lip painted, along with rear boot panel and side skirts.
Then had the text that she was all ready after baking, Dave even machine polished the whole car to make sure it all shined. These were the teaser shots I received.

When fitting Dave mentioned we couldn't use the Gracer spats due to the Blitz Nur spec's angle and I wasn't prepared to either cut into the exhaust or into Genuine spats so we are going to paint and replace the OE spats when I have the rear grill painted Gloss black along with engine parts in the new year.
I highly recommend DPM they have been professional and well priced and kept me in the loop the whole way through as you can see by the images provided.
Dave wasn't happy that the paint, albeit perfect, it didn't match the existing paint bang on. And even asked his paint provider to come down to see if there was anything else that could be done. However as the paint is 20 years old, even though in mint condition its very tricky to match perfectly on this SMG colour. So next year we will probably blow the rest of the car in. But for now it looks 100x better.

Here's some shots outside the house, excuse the crappy iPhone pics and also needing a wash, but i couldn't wait any longer :D

ashley

Post by ashley »

Very nice :thumleft:

So Dave added fibre glass to the back of the PU Aeroware lip?

What are you going to do for a front number plate?
craig

Post by craig »

Looks great mate :thumleft:

As said on FB, if you can the spats on the rear bumper, that will finish it off nicely :thumleft:
JLW

Post by JLW »

ashley wrote:Very nice :thumleft:

So Dave added fibre glass to the back of the PU Aeroware lip?

What are you going to do for a front number plate?

No he added Fibreglass to the rear of the front bumper where the holes are located so that he could then filler over them without it falling out.

probably going to use a sticker numberplate ( motorbike size )
on the lower lip of the bumper / Aeroware lip.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Mint :thumleft:
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

that's really nice man, they've done a lovely job on that sill :thumleft:
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
JLW

Post by JLW »

Rob - East Coast Imports wrote:that's really nice man, they've done a lovely job on that sill :thumleft:

Cheers mate, yeah its nice to know that the car is now completely solid.
JLW

Post by JLW »

FFS !!!!! :boohoo:
JLW

Post by JLW »

cheers bud, TBH my local Kwik Fit that I have a good relationship with repaired it for £25 cash.

could have been worse and been on the sidewall.
JLW

Post by JLW »

So wondered on you guys opinions.
Before I have Dave at DPM re-spray the remaining bodywork on the car,
I'm wanting to change the spoiler and possibly source a Border Bonnet.

However I'm stuck on which spoiler to go for, here are my options.

1. Greddy Spoiler ( My favourite and hardest to find )
2. Border / Bomex spoiler / drift wing
3. Rev 5 spoiler

whats your thoughts ?

Return to “Member Profiles”