[Mk2] [Turbo] What clutch for 450 bhp

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Martin F
IMOC Moderator

[Mk2] [Turbo] What clutch for 450 bhp

Post by Martin F »

When i change gear at full throttle my clutch slips straight to 7000 revs, done it twice now, from 2nd to 3rd and from 3rd to 4th.
If accelerating from 50 in fourth or fifth it doesn't slip at all, (which is usually the test to check the clutch).

I have used the search function, i have read good and bad reviews, many of them from years ago, but have struggled to see a clutch that has been tried and tested.
Sometimes i am getting an error while using the search function and not seeing anything beyond page one.
Hence this post.

I don't want to spend £1000+ though as the car is a weekend car, lucky if i have done 500 miles in the last 4 months.

So has anybody ran a car with similar power and fitted a decent clutch that holds the power and is going to see acceptable miles over the next ?? years....

Thanks for any advice in advance :thumleft:
kev8611

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] What clutch for 450 bhp

Post by kev8611 »

Look at ACT. I use one and is very good. Reasonable engage and close to stock pedal feel.

I can sit in traffic with it no problem and it has never slipped once
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

kev8611 wrote:Look at ACT. I use one and is very good. Reasonable engage and close to stock pedal feel.

I can sit in traffic with it no problem and it has never slipped once

Any UK suppliers ? What power are you running ? How long have you had this clutch running that power ?
I don't want to buy a clutch that will need replacing after 5000 miles, they seem fairly cheap....

Think Sheppy bought a clutchmaster FX400, they seem to have all sorts of reviews, good and bad, :?
rev3turbo

Post by rev3turbo »

what clutch do you have in there now?
kev8611

Post by kev8611 »

Not sure who supply in uk.

Im about 360 and it handles it with ease. Rated for alot more. But the torque is also important.

I have done well over 5k on it now and it went in the car second hand. Well you did say you dont want to spend 1000+ on a clutch. I have heard the clutchmasters ones are decent for the money

Nearly everything will have good and bad reviews, reviews are normally based on expectation not the quality of the component. If someone bought a clutch after hearing it had a light pedal then it turns out it is really firm they will say its no good even though its perfectly fine for some.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

I did Martin, no review on it yet. As I said in another post, my mate has a 450bhp Audi and thinks the clutch is great, he uses the fx400. You can get replacement friction plates for them for a fraction of the price of the clutch. I'm gonna get a couple just incase. Gts chris is where i got mine, £400-£500 delivered I can't remember now :(
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

rev3turbo wrote:what clutch do you have in there now?

I don't know for sure but was told by the previous owners it is a hks triple plate, done about 14k miles .
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

Martin wrote:

I don't know for sure but was told by the previous owners it is a hks triple plate, done about 14k miles .

in which case, you should look into getting some new plates for it, as they're probably worn. rebuild kits aren't horrific for "proper" clutches like that, I certainly wouldn't be downgrading to something cheaper.

P.S it'll be an HKS GD twin plate clutch.

if you want to sell it, give me a shout
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

sheppy wrote:I did Martin, no review on it yet. As I said in another post, my mate has a 450bhp Audi and thinks the clutch is great, he uses the fx400. You can get replacement friction plates for them for a fraction of the price of the clutch. I'm gonna get a couple just incase. Gts chris is where i got mine, £400-£500 delivered I can't remember now :(

I will have a look on his website, guess a spare would be good for the future in case they stop getting made... :-k

so between these two i am looking at around £400-£500, worth a punt i suppose, hate the job of removing the gearbox too, wish someone was local that would do it for me, not paying a garage £500 for the privilege, that's for sure...

How's things anyway Shep ? How's your dad holding up ?
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Rob - East Coast Imports wrote:
Martin wrote:

in which case, you should look into getting some new plates for it, as they're probably worn. rebuild kits aren't horrific for "proper" clutches like that, I certainly wouldn't be downgrading to something cheaper.

I won't know for sure until i remove it. I would prefer to have one at hand to fit straight away rather than have the car off the road waiting weeks for parts to arrive...
Anywhere in the UK that would supply these rob ? Can you give me a rough estimate on how much i could acquire new plates for ?

*edit* Maybe it would be worth my while going down this route after a little thought :-k
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

Martin wrote:
Martin wrote:

I won't know for sure until i remove it. I would prefer to have one at hand to fit straight away rather than have the car off the road waiting weeks for parts to arrive...
Anywhere in the UK that would supply these rob ? Can you give me a rough estimate on how much i could acquire new plates for ?

Maybe it would be worth my while going down this route after a little thought :-k

http://www.hkseurope.com/where-to-buy.html

:thumleft:
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Martin wrote:

Maybe it would be worth my while going down this route after a little thought :-k

http://www.hkseurope.com/where-to-buy.html

Thanks Rob,

I may just wait until i remove the Gearbox and clutch before deciding which path to take, the cars a Keeper so i am best doing it right if not overly expensive :-k
As the clutch isn't actually slipping yet on same gear pulls i have time to do my homework, i wonder if she would handle a few pulls on a dyno at 1.8 bar :-k , would like to get the other jobs done before removing the gearbox. 8-[
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Martin wrote:
sheppy wrote:I did Martin, no review on it yet. As I said in another post, my mate has a 450bhp Audi and thinks the clutch is great, he uses the fx400. You can get replacement friction plates for them for a fraction of the price of the clutch. I'm gonna get a couple just incase. Gts chris is where i got mine, £400-£500 delivered I can't remember now :(

I will have a look on his website, guess a spare would be good for the future in case they stop getting made... :-k

so between these two i am looking at around £400-£500, worth a punt i suppose, hate the job of removing the gearbox too, wish someone was local that would do it for me, not paying a garage £500 for the privilege, that's for sure...

How's things anyway Shep ? How's your dad holding up ?

If it is a twin plate thing in there i'd deffo be inclined to buy replacement plates!!

Yeah my Dad's doing pretty good considering, Much to the surprise of the doctors! :)
Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

Twinplate.

Do it once, do it right. Especially with 450hp.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Al-sw20 wrote:Twinplate.

Do it once, do it right. Especially with 450hp.

Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

kev8611 wrote:Look at ACT. I use one and is very good. Reasonable engage and close to stock pedal feel.

Another vote for ACT, I understand they will clamp close to 500ft/lb. I ran one for a year. Quite grabby, would not recommend getting stuck in traffic unless you have legs like Geoff capes. Great for tracks and drags, not so great for town work.
Mike N

Post by Mike N »

I fitted an ACT cover rated at 450lbs/ft with a non ACT spring paddle, all on an ally flywheel. little bit grabby on take up as to be expected but no slipping at all. Used this combo for 3 odd years with no change in components.

Return to “Modifications”