Nathan's Mk2 Turbo Rev 2 - Hard Top - 1993

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

nathan.z

Re: Nathan's Mk2 Turbo Rev 2 - Hard Top - 1993

Post by nathan.z »

Sneak peak from Drift Limits Performance Instagram, collection confirmed for tomorrow.
nathan.z

Post by nathan.z »

Collected the car today. The poly bush kit has made a huge difference with the handling and performance of the car. It both rides firmer, more secure but far more comfortable as the odd clunks and noises have all disappeared. It feels like the dampers can actually do their work. The sketchy feeling on the motorway has left as you're filled with confidence. :D

The Mishimoto radiator looks well built, the car is keeping cool so can't really comment bar the visible M on the rad.

Short Shift is still in the post so rust on the door sill will be next priority following by new clutch and oil leak. There's a high chance of impulse buying a new down pipe that TB are building somewhere over the next few months. Lets see what happens.

\:D/
nathan.z

Post by nathan.z »

Ripped out the stock OEM rear speakers. Installed some pioneer 10cm replacements, kept the OEM plug and crimped into it. I ended up ghetto installing with cable ties as the replacements didn't fit the OEM mount. If these fail or vibrate too much I'll look into speaker rings on the OEM mount. I'm worried that they'll protrude out too much against the trim with the speaker ring however. :roll:

Either way these are just fill speakers. I use to switch these off via the head unit biasing front but I found the sound too far forward as I have my seat far back. Now I can listen at a comfortable volume without the need to crank the head unit. :lol:
nathan.z

Post by nathan.z »

Overhauled the Gear selector with a package from the US.

Super Klasse C Short shift reproduction
Base plate bushings
Gear and handbrake leather boots
OEM weighted gear knob
Lever Seat Cup Bushing

Summary
What's nice about this kit is the true short throws, notice how it's similar to OEM height however the travel distance between 1 and 2 is a lot shorter. The weighted OEM gear knob means less effort to shift. This kit doesn't solve the notchy feeling with E153 gearbox however I don't need to 'hunt' around to find the gears. They fall effortless into place with accuracy. It's much easier to drive.

Before
Chinesium ebay short shift and plastic TRD knob with worn gator.

After
Super Klasse C reproduction short shift + Weighten OEM Gear Knob

nathan.z

Post by nathan.z »

My neo-chrome cheap lug nuts were starting to round off so I'm trying out these Mishimoto Ali lugs. When it stops raining I'll slip them on.

nathan.z

Post by nathan.z »

Mishimoto Lugs installed. Old ones were so badly corroded, glad to have these off. Courtesy snow foam pic.

nathan.z

Post by nathan.z »

Had the rocker cover and rear brace painted. Alongside a new rear main bearing, oil pan and gaskets in an effort to chase down on-going oil leaks. Stage 4 performance clutch and Fidanza Ali lightened flywheel.

- New clutch is far less aggressive, easier and happier to drive.
- Lightened flywheel revs quicker, makes the car feel snappier. Maybe it's an illusion but I swear boost climbs quicker. :-k

Think I'll be painting a few more odds in the engine bay when I get some spare time. It's been neglected and the rusted bolts / parts make me shiver whenever I open her up.
nathan.z

Post by nathan.z »

Life got in the way - but since last summer I took her took a track day which got cut short by leaking coolant. Future plans are take her out at least once a year & it use it as a 'test' bed to iron out any kinks.

- Replaced 'hose from hell on earth' as I was getting white smoke after a hard drive.

- TRD coolant cap to stop any explosions of coolant within the engine bay. (The stock cap at 0.8 bar didn't hold on track).

- Aftermarket inverter & rats nest of old sub woofer wiring removed from interior.

- Much needed new rear AD08RS Tyres.

Still need the rust patch on the door sill & a bunch of other bits touched up, defo need new front tyres. Let's see where the next few months takes us! :oldtongue:
nathan.z

Post by nathan.z »

Currently waiting in my garage for installation over the coming weeks:

- New AD08RS front Tyres (Installed already)
- CarboTech AX6 Pads all round
- MeisterR ZETA CRD Coilovers (Lowering the car a little bit) & alignment.
- New door sills (Driver & Passenger Side)
- Full Service

-----------------------------------

New Issues (All to be fixed around August/Sept):

- Water Ingest Driver side Cabin
- Water Ingest boot
- Speedo stopped working
- Bodywork
- Coolant level still drops arter a drive, get the feeling the typical hose from hell that runs the full length of the car is the issue.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

The meister Rs are one of the best thing i've ever done to mine!
yokomomr4bx

Post by yokomomr4bx »

This is looking really nice, some very tasteful mods going on :thumleft: Am I correct in thinking the Mishimoto lug nuts are aluminium?
nathan.z

Post by nathan.z »

yokomomr4bx wrote:This is looking really nice, some very tasteful mods going on :thumleft: Am I correct in thinking the Mishimoto lug nuts are aluminium?

Thanks. The lugs seemed to be best bang for buck. The only downside is the colour wears from mechanics using their impact guns when they're suppose to be hand tighten only. Also with my Advan wheels there's not much gap between the bolt head and the wheel so the 'locking nut' key gets wedged and has to be lightly tapped off with a rubber hammer.

Edit: yes they're Ali, and at 60 quid a pop far cheaper than JDM taxed imports which you'll end up spending double or triple.
nathan.z

Post by nathan.z »

MeisterR's are on! Loving them, soft enough for road use, the car has really come alive. Understeer has reduced drastically and the rear wants to kick out on corners. It really pulls you in the corners. All steering wheel wobble has disappeared at motorway speeds. Comfortable to drive (ignoring the wind noise & exhaust)

The Carbotech pads are lethal. I can see why many don't bother with bigger brakes, it's so easy to lock up the wheels...That'll take some getting use too! Baring in mind that's with fresh tyres all round on a warm summers day....

Installation wise we had to cut off the rear drop links as they were seized on. So new rear drop links were also installed as the coil overs only come with fronts. Had the car tracking sorted, garage recommended waiting 6months for the coil overs to settle and then we'll lower it and re-adjust again. My drive is on an incline so I'm hesitant. #stancenation

Fallen back in love with the car again, the fun / fear of death factor has increased.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

I did coilovers first then polybushes. Night and day after doing the bushes!
Car's looking great man! Nice work!
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

I'm steering clear of ally wheelnuts when a few of mine undid themselves on a a track day. Turns out they are a lot easier to thread than the steel ones, they were genuine rays ones too.
nathan.z

Post by nathan.z »

Race Idiot wrote:I'm steering clear of ally wheelnuts when a few of mine undid themselves on a a track day. Turns out they are a lot easier to thread than the steel ones, they were genuine rays ones too.

Were they torqued to spec? Mine are rated for 70ft/lbs - 80ft/lbs
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Definitely, I bring a torque wrench with me along side a bunch of other tools. May have been me just being a cackhanded idiot too tho!
BillyDS

Post by BillyDS »

nathan.z wrote:My neo-chrome cheap lug nuts were starting to round off so I'm trying out these Mishimoto Ali lugs. When it stops raining I'll slip them on.

Reminds me to work on uncle's lugs as they getting round as well. We'll just finish installing the shocks from 4Wheelonline onto the Wrangler and we'll start ordering for the lugs as we do the brake pads.
nathan.z

Post by nathan.z »

Thought to post since it's a been a long time since I've been on here. Latest news:

Hoses from hell (front to back) = done
Walbro pump = done

Speedo died = fix in transit

Mishi Rad decided to cross thread = attempting replacement on 'lifetime warranty'

Headgasket = Is going, need a metal HG replacement. For some reason it won't die just yet.

Bodged a fix on the Radiator which has held & tracked the car in August. HG is still holding somehow. :lol:

Got a new steering wheel that needs fitting & a GT4 charge cooler I'm contemplating.

Need todo some sill rust / paintwork & then metal headgasket. Whilst the head is off.....forged pistons & head bolts..Which leads down the path of bigger fuel injectors & Link boost controller to finally crank her to 18PSI. Oh and an exhaust etc.

The thing I'm not happy about on the track is the braking. Front locks up far too easy even with fresh tyres. Wondering if wider tyres, or more brake bias towards the back. Currently Carbo tech pads on stock discs with a 'brace' on the brake booster.

Also worried about more tyre needed on the rears - current 225 can still slip on boost in dry in 2nd. Any recommendations for tyre widths as I can fit 245 max but can't get AD08RS in that size. May need new alloys at some point. :roll:

Return to “Member Profiles”