[Mk2] [Turbo] Power FC on base map or Stock ECU? - Rev3 Turbo

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Chumbaside

[Mk2] [Turbo] Power FC on base map or Stock ECU? - Rev3 Turbo

Post by Chumbaside »

I have a Power FC waiting to go on my car but I can't afford to get it mapped right away :(

Is there any advantage running the Power FC with just the base map loaded or am I best sticking with the stock ECU?

I'm running the usual bolt-on mods, charge cooler and 1.1bar on an EBC.

Cheers,

Mark
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Power FC on base map or Stock ECU? - Rev3 Turbo

Post by Peter Gidden »

Chumbaside wrote:Is there any advantage running the Power FC with just the base map loaded?

None whatsoever.

A base map should only be regarded as sufficient to get the engine running.
Chumbaside

Post by Chumbaside »

Perfect, just what I needed to know.

Thanks Pete :thumleft:
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

I have a datalogit and fcedit, if you wanted I could flash a 'safe' map onto it for you if you sent me your ecu.
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
kev8611

Post by kev8611 »

As peter said. However I ran my car for ages with the base map that is on the apexi ecu as i was in the same boat as you. Just had to scale for my injectors. Didnt blow up or that but of course theres always a risk and there was no real benefit.

Obviously never going to be as good as a live map but the base map is regarded as a very safe map. Depends on your modifications aswell. If you do decide to run it then just keep a close eye on knock levels and the air fuel ratio if you have wideband fitted.

I was £300 for mapping my power fc for the record
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

The base map on the power FC is pretty good. The base maps were created using dyno time from what I read some time ago - so they aren't just numbers somebody dreamed up and plugged in there for the heck of it.

But yes, obviously it's just to get you in the ballpark so get it mapped properly for the fuel you are running :thumleft: (and as Peter said -leaving stock rev 3 ECU on is the most sensible option if you have stock injectors still)
Chumbaside

Post by Chumbaside »

Thanks for the replies everyone, much appreciated :thumleft:
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

Kongaroo wrote:The base map on the power FC is pretty good. The base maps were created using dyno time from what I read some time ago - so they aren't just numbers somebody dreamed up and plugged in there for the heck of it.

But yes, obviously it's just to get you in the ballpark so get it mapped properly for the fuel you are running :thumleft: (and as Peter said -leaving stock rev 3 ECU on is the most sensible option if you have stock injectors still)

But based on japanese 100 octane fuel, comparing the base map to my map, the base map runs a lot of ignition advance, and not a lot of tps enrichment. Amongst other things.
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

Yes it's a basemap for 100 octane so it should be treated as a ballpark. On 99RON, off boost or even a few psi of boost it should be fine from my past experience. But obviously do so at your own risk.

As mentioned you can use it as a ballpark but get it mapped for the fuel you want to run - whether that's 95, 97 or 99 octane etc. - before you start ragging it :thumleft:

I have seen some maps in the past from a couple of well known UK tuners that were essentially the PFC basemap with timing decreased globally by a couple of degrees across the map. The only mapping having been done being in the couple of rows or so of numbers that the car ran in when on full boost. So the basemap can't be that bad :lol:

Return to “Modifications”