[Mk2] [NA] Turbo gearbox onto rev 2 na

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ads

[Mk2] [NA] Turbo gearbox onto rev 2 na

Post by ads »

Recently bought turbo box including driveshafts with standard lsd off ebay for a song, not yet collected from seller so may well be too good to be true.

Use my rev 2 na mostly for relaxed cruising, although I may have a crack at a very occasional hillclimb event (less important than touring around).

Intention is to get more relaxed and economical cruising, with LSD coming in handy on twisties - obviously the box is heavier plus the longer gearing so I'll take the hit on acceleration, which hopefully shouldn't be too badly affected?

Three questions:

first, I know I need turbo hubs - will hubs off any model year turbo be ok?

Second, has anyone fitted a turbo box to an n/a and were you pleased with results?

Third, any way I can test if the box is working properly (doubtful) before I fit the thing only to find its a dud. (at least seller tells me the shafts rotate the same way each side so does have lsd)

I'd be interested to hear anyone's thoughts about whether or not swapping to a turbo tranny is a good move, or not ?
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Turbo gearbox onto rev 2 na

Post by Peter Gidden »

ads wrote:any way I can test if the box is working properly (doubtful) before I fit the thing only to find its a dud.

No, unless you do a full strip down and inspection.

ads wrote:seller tells me the shafts rotate the same way each side so does have lsd)

Unless it has a clutch-type race LSD, it means nothing.

What you doing about clutch/flywheel?

TBH, you'd have been far better off doing a 5th gear conversion on your N/A gearbox.
ads

Post by ads »

that was quick thanks Peter

ok so not proof that it actually has LSD then

forgot I need a turbo clutch and flywheel

yes, did cross my mind about a higher 5th gear conversion. probably not much more than buying all the additional conversion parts; I can live without an LSD I'm sure, or get someone to fit in a MK3 one when they add the higher 5th gear. All depends on total cost vs overall benefit

Think I'll pick the thing up, strip it down and have a look, will post up pics when I get around to doing it
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

It's about £160 for the 5th gears if you get them from the states. Whilst it's awkward they can also be fitted in situ so no need to remove the box from the car.
ads

Post by ads »

Appreciate the advice, get the feeling I'll probably go the longer 5th route
ads

Post by ads »

ads wrote:Appreciate the advice, get the feeling I'll probably go the longer 5th route

or maybe not .. found this useful thread which identifies LSD box only accepts longer driveshaft splines

http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=447263

Advert photo of box and shafts I've bought - as yet unseen - shows one driveshaft separate from box showing longer splines with other driveshaft fitted in box so looking like it has LSD fitted :thumleft:

Also looks like someone has been into end casing by 5th gear area judging by orange gasket compound showing. Told by seller that it was going in a 'trackday' car, so God only knows what they've been fiddling with.

I may bide my time and see if I can potentially pick up a dirt cheap turbo clutch, flywheel and hubs then weigh up whether to give the swap a go. If the box is a dud I'll have lost very little apart from my time.
ads

Post by ads »

After much deliberation I've decided I will sell turbo box as is as I can't accept the extra weight over n/a box.

Picking it up next week from Worcester if anyone is interested, alternatively if you are near there I'm sure I could arrange with seller for you to pick up direct (ideal solution for me)

Will need inspection unless you want to be blase and fit it without checking. Note driveshafts included.

Will be very cheap to anyone on here

Return to “Mechanical”