[FINALIZED] 1997 Black Toyota MR2 MkII Rev 4 GT 2.0l – low mileage UK car with T-bar AND air con

MR2s for sale - all versions & variants

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Hightower

1997 Black Toyota MR2 MkII Rev 4 GT 2.0l – low mileage UK car with T-bar AND air con

Post by Hightower »

The time has come for me to find a new home for my 1997 Toyota MR2 MkII Rev 4. It’s only done 72k miles, I’ve looked after it and kept it garaged. It’s completely stock except for fitting an engine lid from a turbo (for letting less water in the engine bay), which is also for sale. I’ve recently had some bodywork done including all 4 wheels.

I’m asking for £3,450 ovno. It’s in really good condition. Each time it’s flown through each MOT, and every tester has remarked at how good it looks underneath as well as how young it feels.

A reluctant sale it has to be said! I’ve owned this car for four years, since my good friend Shinny spotted the ad, took me to see it and assured me this was one of the best conditioned examples he’d seen. I’ve almost covered 20k miles and loved every minute! Arrival of a family estate is the only reason for selling (we'll also be selling our 2006 Mazda 3 1.6 petrol too, if anyone is after a reliable low mileage run around). As it’s in such good condition I’ve considered keeping it undercover in my garage (where I’ve housed it ever since I’ve owned it) and in 10 years I’m pretty sure I’d be the proud owner of a reliable modern classic, but I think someone else should enjoy it and look after it now.

I’ve taken good care of this car, but being 18 years old, there are a couple of things I should point out to give you the full picture:
  • * Slight corrosion on the exhaust (Shinny spotted this when I bought it, but it’s not got any worse in 4 years!)
    * Leak from the T-Bar in the usual places (I’ve come to think of this as character!)
    * Drivers door requires a key to lock – the fob works to unlock both sides, but locks the passenger door only. Probably a loose connection. I’ve lived with it.
    * Some wear on the leather on the drivers seat

Summary:
  • * 1997 MR2 GTi-16 TBar
    * Air conditioning
    * Full leather interior
    * Only done 72k miles
    * 3 owners before me (the previous owner only had it one year)
    * Most of the service history present
    * 2x keys and fobs
    * Stock UK model
    * Rev 5 wheels (this appears to be one of the last of the rev 4s so there are a few crossover parts – the original sales brochure pictures a rev 5)
    * Comes with Clarion CD/MP3/Radio installed
    * Reliable, solid, lovely sound, so much life left in it.
    * TBar blinds and bags present
    * Original floor mats present

Since I’ve owned it:
  • * Cambelt changed not long after buying it (57400miles).
    * Air con tested and re-gased
    * Tyres: A set of Falken ZE912s (in July 2012 – still going strong!)
    * New clutch
    * Fixed pipes from hell with up rated pipes
    * New sidelights fitted (original ones looked a bit faded)
    * Front break discs replaced
    * Fitted engine lid from an MR2 turbo (mainly to reduce excess rainwater getting into the engine bay to better preserve it)
    * Bodywork: last year I had the front and rear bumpers, roof, drivers door done. Main reason was some rust on the drivers door but I thought I’d get some scratches on those panels dealt with whilst it was there. A few other scratches also taken care of at the same time. Looks superb! (UPDATE: some rust on the driverside sil was recently been discovered - this has now been sorted as well.)
    * Wheels: all four wheels re-furbished (at the same time as the bodywork)
    * MOTs: flown through every MOT, and been serviced at the same time. Next one due in October
    * It’s all stock except for the engine lid, it would come with the original engine lid, unless a buyer is also interested in purchasing the turbo engine lid, in which case it can remain on there.

Summer’s almost here, persuade me to part with this beauty! I live in Bristol.
Last edited by Hightower on Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shinny

Re: [FINALIZED] 1997 Black Toyota MR2 MkII Rev 4 GT 2.0l – low mileage UK car with T-bar AND air con

Post by shinny »

I’ve known this car as long as Hightower has owned it and can honestly say it’s probably the cleanest, neatest SW20 I’ve ever seen! I can normally find fault with any SW20 if I want to, but I went over this one with a fine tooth comb when the previous owner advertised it and struggled to find anything out of place! I know Hightower’s taken very good care of it since then too.

Given Hightower can’t post photos yet, here it is in all it’s beauty:

Draven

Re: [FINALIZED] 1997 Black Toyota MR2 MkII Rev 4 GT 2.0l – low mileage UK car with T-bar AND air con

Post by Draven »

my my what a beautiful example. :mrgreen:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Draven wrote:my my what a beautiful example. :mrgreen:

To true .. very nice example 8)
pkmr2

Post by pkmr2 »

Stunning GLWTS :thumleft:
Hightower

Post by Hightower »

Thanks Draven, 2mad & pkmr2 :)

I shall miss it that's for sure!
Hightower

Post by Hightower »

So, having been let down by a buyer beyond the 11th hour it's now back on sale!

Also (unrelated)... one thing that was spotted having being put on sale was some rust on the driver side sil. this has now been sorted. Even shinier! :)
Hightower

Post by Hightower »

It's now sold, to a first time MR2 owner. He's in for a treat!
Feedback Bot

Post by Feedback Bot »

This Sale has been completed. The Buyer was Non-Member

Return to “MR2s for Sale”