Dome fuse keeps blowing

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

parker455

Dome fuse keeps blowing

Post by parker455 »

Hi guys,

On my project car, we fitted the new engine and dopey me stuck the battery round the wrong way..

It blew the alternator fuse, various fuses in drivers footwell which I've replaced, and the dome fuse on the frunk fuse box.

Everything else is working great now after replacing the fuses (and of course, switching the battery round to the right way), but the dome fuse blows every time a battery is even hooked up to the terminals.

I've read it could be the radio's aerial causing this, so that's next on the list of things to pull out and try. Anyone else know of any good places to start? The internet provides very little in terms of responses to these questions. I've got my multimeter ready so how would I go about checking? Electronics aren't my strong point..

Thanks in advance :th:
uglee

Re: Dome fuse keeps blowing

Post by uglee »

Remove all loads off the Dome circuit which according to the 1990 EWD I have is:

Power Antennae motor
Door courtesy lights+switches
Personal light (whatever that is)
Factory Fit Alarm
Radio/CD Player
Rear boot light+Switch
Active Stereo amp+subwoofer.

With a bulb connected by 2 wires run this across the fuse location terminals, ignition switch on (engine off).

The light should be on, one by one add in the components on the dome circuit checking the light inbetween. When the light goes off that's your dodgy component.

If it's a short in the wiring to the body of the car, with the dome fuse removed and with all the components removed from the circuit check continuity on the dome component harness plugs.

If you get continuity on a components supply wire and the body of the car your loom is damaged.

HTH
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

Hi, I think the personal light is the little round light that goes round the ignition.
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
Torero

Post by Torero »

uglee wrote:Remove all loads off the Dome circuit which according to the 1990 EWD I have is:

Power Antennae motor
Door courtesy lights+switches
Personal light (whatever that is)
Factory Fit Alarm
Radio/CD Player
Rear boot light+Switch
Active Stereo amp+subwoofer.

With a bulb connected by 2 wires run this across the fuse location terminals, ignition switch on (engine off).

The light should be on, one by one add in the components on the dome circuit checking the light inbetween. When the light goes off that's your dodgy component.

If it's a short in the wiring to the body of the car, with the dome fuse removed and with all the components removed from the circuit check continuity on the dome component harness plugs.

If you get continuity on a components supply wire and the body of the car your loom is damaged.

HTH

That's a great guide Lee but whereabouts is the alarm fuse located.

FYI - I have a similar issue to Tom except the fuse isn't blowing but it's running the battery down.
3VZ-FE V6 TRD Widebody Replica

Draven wrote "TRD dude. TRD... Can see awesomness from anywhere. "

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0
uglee

Post by uglee »

The fuse for the alarm is part of the 'dome' circuit according to the EWD I have. So if you pull the dome fuse it should kill the alarm system.

I've never seen a factory alarm system and amazed some still work!
parker455

Post by parker455 »

Found it was my door courtesy light switches, disconnected for now but there's a short under the dash somewhere! Thanks for all the help guys much appreciated

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”