Power fc help

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

bolton

Power fc help

Post by bolton »

Hi all had my mr2 mapped (power fc) and all was great, drove her home and put her away for the winter in my garage with battery disconnected.

Today woke her up! Lol! Started fine but the revs were hunting on idle! Was told that the ecu might have to relearn idle as the battery has been disconnected for months so did the idle learn again.

She now idles fine but if you press the accelrator it will start to hunt again at idle for about a minute then idle fine again?

What could this be?
2mad

Re: Power fc help

Post by 2mad »

Water temperature sensor faulty 8-[ seen this happen to a few people .

Edit.. I did actually have this happen to me running a hks vpc .. I increased fueling 2% or so under 1500rpm and the problem went away :-s :-k

Hope you sort it it is rather annoying.
bolton

Post by bolton »

Is there anyway i can test the sensor?
Would it throw a fault code?
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Bgb multimeter resistance test from what i understand .

Might be easier to take it to where it was mapped and have them plugin and look for the error ... not cheap but could get your answer quicker.
bolton

Post by bolton »

Yeah ryan mapped it in surrey and i live in worcester its about a 3 hr drive. Ill see what i can do myself.
The sensor was replaced when the car was rebuilt 1000 miles ago.
Could it be the idle control valve?
2mad

Post by 2mad »

I can only advise you from stuff thats happened to me .. "could it be the idle control valve" yes absolutely.. while it was off the road somethings gone out of tune. if plugging it ins not an option , its process of elimination time :(

Check everything from vac hoses to sensors .. such a pain i know .. been there ](*,)

Dont forget to look at the o2 sensor .. the ecu looks at that for idle .. only saying that because a fuel tweak cured my hunting idle.
bolton

Post by bolton »

Ok took the throttle asembly off today and cleaned the idle control valve and checked it was working also cleaned inside the throttle body and butterfly. Loads of carbon in there!

I then adjusted the screw which dictates where the butterfly sits at idle. I could wind it in so the butterfly was closed more.
It now seems a lot better!

Should the butterfly be fully closed at idle?
2mad

Post by 2mad »

On mine the throttle body butterfly was closed fully .. dont have any experience with the idle control valve, one of the few things that actually worked on my car :lol:

Sorry for the late reply , hoped someone with more experience than me would chime in .

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”