eml

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

simpson_eh

eml

Post by simpson_eh »

hi all,

any ideas why my engine management light would come on when i lift off
i know it flashes for knock on hard acceleration but cant trace it down, when i slow down the light goes back off, can i check for codes on the power fc

5sgte
power fc
3071 turbo
264 cams
850cc injectors
chargecooled
If you see an MR2 with a raised engine cover, the bottom line is it's probably faster than your car.
Kongaroo

Re: eml

Post by Kongaroo »

On the PFC you can check for any sensors that are out of spec when the management light comes on by looking at the commander or a datalogit/laptop.

The out of spec sensor will be highlighted.

I don't know if this is the same issue as yours but I had a similar sounding EML to yours whereby if I accelerated hard to a high RPM - eg. full boost to 7K then came off the accelerator to let the car coast back down to low RPM under engine braking, I would sometimes get a prolonged EML.

My problem turned to be my TPS was set right at the lower limit of being in spec. After adjusting the TPS position the problem disappeared. Something to check anyway :thumleft:

PS - VTA1 voltage is the TPS signal.
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

simpson_eh wrote:hi all,

any ideas why my engine management light would come on when i lift off
i know it flashes for knock on hard acceleration but cant trace it down, when i slow down the light goes back off, can i check for codes on the power fc

5sgte
power fc
3071 turbo
264 cams
850cc injectors
chargecooled

My ecu light does that as well, even on half throttle, as soon as it sees vacum the light comes on for a few seconds, haven't really given it a second thought as it is very consistent #-o
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Kongaroo wrote:On the PFC you can check for any sensors that are out of spec when the management light comes on by looking at the commander or a datalogit/laptop.

The out of spec sensor will be highlighted.

Ahhh, I didn't know you could do that, i will have a look at the commander next time it is dry, thanks dude :thumleft:
simpson_eh

Post by simpson_eh »

resurrect a old thread :)

found the culprit, its the pimm voltage sensor showing up black on lift off which says its going out of spec i presume

pimm voltage is based on the map sensor, mine is a 4 bar map sensor and set up for this by Ryan, tried to get hold of Ryan a few times but no luck

so any one else got any ideas i have a hand controller and datalogit

its only on lift off car drives fine
If you see an MR2 with a raised engine cover, the bottom line is it's probably faster than your car.
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

simpson_eh wrote:resurrect a old thread :)

found the culprit, its the pimm voltage sensor showing up black on lift off which says its going out of spec i presume

pimm voltage is based on the map sensor, mine is a 4 bar map sensor and set up for this by Ryan, tried to get hold of Ryan a few times but no luck

so any one else got any ideas i have a hand controller and datalogit

its only on lift off car drives fine

Ryan did my car as well, I have exactly the same issues.
I recently got the map looked at and asked for the boost to be reset to 0 as it was reading -21 when ignition was on.
I was told it couldn't be done without the whole map being changed so decided to just live with that and saving myself 3 hours dyno time.

I am running a 3 bar map sensor for talking sake and everything was checked and I was told the car runs spot on except for a restriction at higher revs (collapsed exhaust baffle), so for me I am just going to live with it, be good to find out what your fix is as mine is probably the same issue :-k

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”