[Mk2] [NA] Cigarette Lighter Keeps blowing Fuse

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

magic_alex

[Mk2] [NA] Cigarette Lighter Keeps blowing Fuse

Post by magic_alex »

So I bought my new Two a few weeks ago and immediately switched out the stock radio for my Clarion unit that was in my old car. Prior to doing this i noticed that the cigarette lighter wasnt working and sure enough on inspection I found its connector block taped up instead of being connected. I use my phone a lot of navigation so really need the lighter for the USB adapter that plugs in to it. Trouble is as soon as I had fitted the radio and reconnected the cigarette lighter the fuse in the footwell blew probably as I turned the key. I'm useless with electrics so need some pointers as to what the problem may be, is it an issue with the earth? if so what am I looking for in order to fix it. If its relevant the led for the ring around it still works as it should. Any help if possible is greatly appreciated
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Cigarette Lighter Keeps blowing Fuse

Post by Peter Gidden »

You have a short circuit.

Unplug cigarette lighter and try a new fuse. Does fuse blow?
magic_alex

Post by magic_alex »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:You have a short circuit.

Yep after three fuses I gave up and taped the connector back up as I was short on time but I really need to sort this out, just havent got a clue where to start. I realise that the radio and dome light are also on same fuse but have no issues with them.
magic_alex

Post by magic_alex »

magic_alex wrote:
Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:You have a short circuit.

Yep after three fuses I gave up and taped the connector back up as I was short on time but I really need to sort this out, just havent got a clue where to start. I realise that the radio and dome light are also on same fuse but have no issues with them.

No No No sorry the fuse doesnt blow when I disconnect the cigarette lighter - it ONLY blows when the cig lighter is connected which is why i taped it up. Sorry I missread the post!
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

If the fuse only blows when the cigarette lighter is plugged into the loom, then the short circuit is obviously in the cigarette lighter itself.
magic_alex

Post by magic_alex »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:If the fuse only blows when the cigarette lighter is plugged into the loom, then the short circuit is obviously in the cigarette lighter itself.

Ok is this something I can fix or should I just find a replacement part? Like i say I know nothing about electrics 8-[
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

magic_alex wrote:
Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:If the fuse only blows when the cigarette lighter is plugged into the loom, then the short circuit is obviously in the cigarette lighter itself.

Ok is this something I can fix or should I just find a replacement part? Like i say I know nothing about electrics 8-[

Get a replacement.

Try posting in Items Wanted forum.
magic_alex

Post by magic_alex »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:
magic_alex wrote:

Get a replacement.

Try posting in Items Wanted forum.

Awesome, thanks for your help Peter, youre a star!

Return to “Electrical”