What's your intake temp at cruising and heavy boosting?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

GreddyMR2

What's your intake temp at cruising and heavy boosting?

Post by GreddyMR2 »

Hi there,

We were mapping my car today and noticed a huge intake temp spikes on heavy boost.

When cruising, temps are up to 30 celsius.
Then, when I start WOT run from 2 to 5th gear, air temp starts raising and from ~4k rpm (boosting ~1 - 1.1bar) very fast to ~90 celsius.

So we made corrections on MAT sensor to retard timing when temp increases. It helped a bit and now max temp is around at 75 celsius on heavy runs. But of course I lost some power.

I have a hybrid CT20 (bigger cold side wheel and stock hot side), ARC side intercooler, 3" exhaust (there is 2.5" neck at one place).

What are yours temps at heavy runs?

I think my turbo's hot side is just not efficient and gases does not get out fast enough.
kev8611

Re: What's your intake temp at cruising and heavy boosting?

Post by kev8611 »

Highest i have seen on mine is 64 iirc after a few hard runs. I have a gt3076 at 1.6bar and ebay sidemount. Even that is way too high for my liking.

Cruising around it never really goes above 40.
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

kev8611 wrote:Highest i have seen on mine is 64 iirc after a few hard runs. I have a gt3076 at 1.6bar and ebay sidemount. Even that is way too high for my liking.

Cruising around it never really goes above 40.

64 after or during heavy run? Because temp decrease very fast when I release throttle.

I think you should upgrade IC with that boost though.
ashley

Post by ashley »

kev8611 wrote:64

:shock: :pale: 8-[
kev8611

Post by kev8611 »

Its all in the pipeline. Got a million and one other things to do.

It was during the day about 18 degrees celsius outside.

Im putting car off the road in winter and gonna throw another couple grand on some stuff lol
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Just fit a very large charge cooler, that will sort most of the problems out. Also plot your air flow on the turbocharger compressor map to check where you are for efficiency.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
2mad

Post by 2mad »

bobhatton wrote:Just fit a very large charge cooler, that will sort most of the problems out. Also plot your air flow on the turbocharger compressor map to check where you are for efficiency.

Agreed with Bob, some very high temperatures on this thread :shock: .. i was hitting 50c and thought that was not sustainable for a daily driver .. and fitted water/meth .. that sorted things out for me :thumleft: ... *runs away from large can of worms*
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

Bob, how do I plot an air flow? And I'm afraid I will not be able to change anything as my turbo can't hold less boost than 1bar (it's creeping).

How are others run side mount coolers with 300 or so HP? I'm not sure how much power I have though... I just know that 440cc injectors were not enough.

I will also try to clean my IC as I have never did this. I don't have catch tank, so it can have some oil in it.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

On Simon's drag car at Brighton, we had 2 degrees C on start line (with condensation running down sides of c/c), and 12-14 degrees at end of 1/4 mile run.

Using PWR c/c and wet ice system.

On open road with no wet ice, 25-28 degrees max.
ashley

Post by ashley »

Nice 8)
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

That's impressive...

Still the charge cooler seems very complicated and expensive for me. I think about fitting boot mount and make good air tunnels for it. I don't mind losing trunk and cutting my car so I think it will be much cheaper and easier. And as I read, good trunk mount cooler also does good job.
kev8611

Post by kev8611 »

Depends what exhaust you use aswell though for boot mount.

Chargecooler might not be as expensive as you think. Im currently in the middle of gathering stuff to make up my own
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

kev8611 wrote:Depends what exhaust you use aswell though for boot mount.

Chargecooler might not be as expensive as you think. Im currently in the middle of gathering stuff to make up my own

Yep, I should modify the exhaust that the heat would not go in the trunk.

Chargecooler also weights more what is also important for me.
blogsy

Post by blogsy »

24C when cruising and in the 40s and rising when on full boost. this is with the standard side mount intercooler.
kev8611

Post by kev8611 »

In that case what about Water meth?
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

kev8611 wrote:In that case what about Water meth?

I'm not sure, it also seems quite expensive... And it would always require refilling. I will probably have to do some more research to make a decision :)
2mad

Post by 2mad »

GreddyMR2 wrote:

I'm not sure, it also seems quite expensive... And it would always require refilling. I will probably have to do some more research to make a decision :)

I've seen the vids of what you use your car for .. water/meth would be perfect .. my car performed like my intercooler was frozen on a winters day on boost , all the time :thumleft:

And you only need to refill once a week .. unless you go everywhere on boost :wink:

You can by a stage one setup second hand for £100 ... well worth a look :thumleft:
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

2mad wrote:
GreddyMR2 wrote:

I've seen the vids of what you use your car for .. water/meth would be perfect .. my car performed like my intercooler was frozen on a winters day on boost , all the time :thumleft:

And you only need to refill once a week .. unless you go everywhere on boost :wink:

You can by a stage one setup second hand for £100 ... well worth a look :thumleft:

I will be checking for sale section, maybe it will show up for sale :)
Do I undestand correctly that water/meth injector should be fitter before MAT sensor? Otherwise it would be showing same temps.

On a track I almost always on boost :)

P.S. there will be some videos from time attack this weekend.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

GreddyMR2 wrote:
2mad wrote:
GreddyMR2 wrote:

Do I undestand correctly that water/meth injector should be fitter before MAT sensor? Otherwise it would be showing same temps.

The correct place for water injectors is right down as close to the head as you can get them and methanol injectors as far away in the manifold, both water and fuel, methanol, should have injectors in each manifold runners.

Remember water cools down the combustion process in the cylinders and drops the cylinder pressure resulting in less power. So more timing advance or more boost will get the lost power back.

Methanol is a fuel so will absorb heat in the manifold and should increase the total airflow into the engine, but keep it away from the ECU temperature sensor in the manifold or it may make the ECU put in even more fuel
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
2mad

Post by 2mad »

GreddyMR2 wrote:
2mad wrote:
GreddyMR2 wrote:

Awesome pm me a link please :D .. as for w/m big can of worms ... i ran mine 12" from the throttle body .. car loved it :thumleft:

Yes before the iat sensor .. thats what i did .. got 20c odd after boosting a couple of times :thumleft:
Last edited by 2mad on Thu May 14, 2015 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”