[Mk2] [Turbo] Replacing stock CT20

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

gnzyza

[Mk2] [Turbo] Replacing stock CT20

Post by gnzyza »

I have a replacement CT20B that needs going on. I'm going to try and remove from the manifold.

Just thinking what to replace? Do the oil feeds needs replacing, or any gaskets, o rings etc..

Is there a method to prime the turbo?

:thumleft:
2mad

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Replacing stock CT20

Post by 2mad »

gnzyza wrote:I have a replacement CT20B that needs going on. I'm going to try and remove from the manifold.

Just thinking what to replace? Do the oil feeds needs replacing, or any gaskets, o rings etc..

Is there a method to prime the turbo?

Turbos water and oil gaskets need replacing the way i do it ... others if in good nick can be re-used ...

My way of doing it ... http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... facbf286da

As for priming just turn the car over a few times with the dizzy king lead removed :thumleft:
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

Thanks mate just removing it now. I'm going to try removing it from the elbow. Looks a headache under with stock exhaust/cat ](*,)
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

Ok ran into a problem. I went for removing from the elbow. I have disconnected all the oil and coolant lines AT the turbo, undone 4 bolts from turbo to elbow.

B pipe disconnected, two bolts either side of cat. It should now come out but there is another bracket at the back of the cat which I cannot get to?

Any pointers?
Trying not to remove the manifold.
Mike N

Post by Mike N »

From ct26 to ct20b, if I 've understood you properly, there is a bracket under the turbo which also bolts to the block.

shine a bright torch up there from under the car.
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

It's a replacement on a rev3. I'll have a good look and report back.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

gnzyza wrote:Ok ran into a problem. I went for removing from the elbow. I have disconnected all the oil and coolant lines AT the turbo, undone 4 bolts from turbo to elbow.

B pipe disconnected, two bolts either side of cat. It should now come out but there is another bracket at the back of the cat which I cannot get to?

Any pointers?
Trying not to remove the manifold.

Remove the cat and turbo outlet casting, once that is done you will get the turbo out without any more problems
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

Thanks Bob that made it easier.

I'm just waiting on the arrival of a new down pipe.
Turbo gaskets seems ok.
what others gaskets should be replaced

coolant pipe to turbo
oil feed to turbo
oil return? to block washer

is that all of them, any online place to get genuine gaskets other than toyota?

anything else while I have it out?

2mad

Post by 2mad »

"get genuine gaskets" yes .. get them from your local toyota parts garage :thumleft:
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

oh also the studs came out that go from turbo to elbow. As the nuts are seized to the studs do people re-use these or replace?

I'll be using new nuts on the turbo to manifold.
LukeSi

Post by LukeSi »

Personally I'd just reuse them, the nuts are obviously tight haha.
Take this opportunity to decat too, the berk downpipe will do the job nicely.
gnzyza

fubared engine?

Post by gnzyza »

Having second thoughts the turbo is the prob. I had oil/smoke coming out of the BOV and oil in the cold pipes/intercooler so thought turbo.

Took the turbo off and exhaust side is totally dry, the car never smoked from exhaust.
Now thinking problem is in the head or rings.

What could be possible causes? Oil feed/ drain are clear, car is a rev3 with stock catch can. Everywhere on the net says oil in the intercooler points to pcv/rings or similar.

Can it be the turbo still? I have everything in bits, valve cover, throttle body off to paint it up just wondering if it's worth putting it back together or pull the head off to investigate which I would rather not obviously.
bobhatton

Re: fubared engine?

Post by bobhatton »

gnzyza wrote:Having second thoughts the turbo is the prob. I had oil/smoke coming out of the BOV and oil in the cold pipes/intercooler so thought turbo.

Took the turbo off and exhaust side is totally dry, the car never smoked from exhaust.
Now thinking problem is in the head or rings.

What could be possible causes? Oil feed/ drain are clear, car is a rev3 with stock catch can. Everywhere on the net says oil in the intercooler points to pcv/rings or similar.

Can it be the turbo still? I have everything in bits, valve cover, throttle body off to paint it up just wondering if it's worth putting it back together or pull the head off to investigate which I would rather not obviously.

So lots of oil breathing out the cam cover into the turbo inlet via the stock catch can?
If so that will be broken ring lands on a piston or two
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
rev3turbo

Post by rev3turbo »

bobhatton wrote:
So lots of oil breathing out the cam cover into the turbo inlet via the stock catch can?
If so that will be broken ring lands on a piston or two

this
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

gnzyza wrote:Having second thoughts the turbo is the prob. I had oil/smoke coming out of the BOV and oil in the cold pipes/intercooler so thought turbo.

1st test you should have done was a compression test.

Do one now.
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

Thanks for the replies
I have a compression tester as well ](*,)

Can't do one now everything's apart, can't do a leak down as no compressor.

Ok so blow by getting into the inlet track, but how so with a stock catch can?
Would the car not smoke if cracked ring land, the manifold is not oily.
asdrewq

Post by asdrewq »

Could just be standard blowby? My MR2 & Celica always had a bit of a mist in the intake piping, and a pool of oily gunk would accumulate in the intake pipe just before the turbo if left untouched for a year.

The stock catch can is just a small oil separator & relies on the blowby gas expanding into the large area, decreasing in velocity, & thus allowing the oil droplets in suspension to separate out & drain back to the head.

It will always let some oily gasses through.
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

When coming off boost large amounts of smoke bellows out the engine lid from the vented BOV and splatters everywhere. definitely not a standard feature lols.

No smoke from exhaust, the cat is totally clean. I wouldn't say the intake hose is that bad but the turbo is definitely passing oil into the intercooler piping. Exhaust side of turbo is clean and oil free.

I get it if it's excessive blow by from rings. What other possibilities, valve stem seals, block turbo drain, Is it also possible the turbo can be worn and cause these symptoms?

I know a leak down or tear down is now needed. Just trying to get a clearer understanding.

Was meant to be a fairly straight forward job :D
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

gnzyza wrote:When coming off boost large amounts of smoke bellows out the engine lid from the vented BOV and splatters everywhere. definitely not a standard feature lols.

No smoke from exhaust, the cat is totally clean. I wouldn't say the intake hose is that bad but the turbo is definitely passing oil into the intercooler piping. Exhaust side of turbo is clean and oil free.

I get it if it's excessive blow by from rings. What other possibilities, valve stem seals, block turbo drain, Is it also possible the turbo can be worn and cause these symptoms?

I know a leak down or tear down is now needed. Just trying to get a clearer understanding.

Was meant to be a fairly straight forward job :D

I have not known the rings or valve seal to be a problem on these engines.

Is there any play on the turbo shaft?
LukeSi

Post by LukeSi »

This sounds like my issue.
I've got really low compression on cylinder 2 which increases with a wet test so I know its the rings. There is absolutley loads of oil in the intercooler piping, could that just be from rings or does that suggest turbo seals on top of rings?

Return to “Mechanical”