The Mule

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

C35Rob

Re: The Mule

Post by C35Rob »

are there any longlife/powerflow type places near you? the dump pipe is only a bit of 38mm exhaust pipe with a bend in it, should be no more than £50 to fabricate a new one

or if you know someone who can weld buy a pre bent bit of pipe, a couple of feet of straight pipe and a 38mm wastegate flange and get it welded up :thumleft:
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

C35Rob wrote:are there any longlife/powerflow type places near you? the dump pipe is only a bit of 38mm exhaust pipe with a bend in it, should be no more than £50 to fabricate a new one

or if you know someone who can weld buy a pre bent bit of pipe, a couple of feet of straight pipe and a 38mm wastegate flange and get it welded up :thumleft:

I have a mate that's a welder by trade, he stays 20 miles away though, is it just a long bit of pipe with a bend, that sounds like a nightmare as it will be bent in the wrong direction knowing my luck of late... :(

cheers anyway Rob, you are are wealth of knowledge on this forum :clap: :clap:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Martin F wrote:Rob ,you are are wealth of knowledge on this forum :clap: :clap:

Agreed :thumleft:
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

:oops: thanks guys, I appreciate it!

looking at the ATS site I can't see the dump pipe that goes with that adapter plate, only the CNC one that I have - which is just a 90 deg bend and a couple of feet of straight pipe.

but all you need to do is bolt up a blank 38mm wastegate flange to the wastegate when it's in place, work out what angle you need to point the discharge straight down, or as close to straight down while clearing anything else in the area then buy a bend and some straight pipe, mark it up and have it buzzed together
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

C35Rob wrote::oops: thanks guys, I appreciate it!

looking at the ATS site I can't see the dump pipe that goes with that adapter plate, only the CNC one that I have - which is just a 90 deg bend and a couple of feet of straight pipe.

but all you need to do is bolt up a blank 38mm wastegate flange to the wastegate when it's in place, work out what angle you need to point the discharge straight down, or as close to straight down while clearing anything else in the area then buy a bend and some straight pipe, mark it up and have it buzzed together

Thanks Rob, I will work at it, pipe is around 45 mm though, will maybe buy one with a bend and weld bits together to make it work, will see tomorrow and get some metal ordered, will just normal exhaust pipe be ok or should I buy stainless ?
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

It's 'only' a 38mm wastegate so 38mm pipe will be fine, stainless or mild is up to you, obviously stainless will last longer but mild will be sufficient..

I'm sure I've got a few tial flanges here, I'll have a look at the weekend and if you want it I can stick it in the post for you
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

C35Rob wrote:It's 'only' a 38mm wastegate so 38mm pipe will be fine, stainless or mild is up to you, obviously stainless will last longer but mild will be sufficient..

I'm sure I've got a few tial flanges here, I'll have a look at the weekend and if you want it I can stick it in the post for you

The flange is still here, a small bit of the pipe is still attached, that's how I know it's a 45 mm pipe outside diameter, thanks all the same rob, muchos appreciated :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

as Rob says it's just a bit of pipe, there's about a million of them on ebay man, :thumleft:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/35mm-38mm-Ext ... Sw14xWII9a
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Ryan S wrote:as Rob says it's just a bit of pipe, there's about a million of them on ebay man, :thumleft:

HaHa, a simple job like that for me turns into a days work :oops: , I may end up just buying one and seeing how it works out, would much prefer to buy something that is a simple swap but if that can't be found I will just buy a random piece, get the grinder out and see what happens #-o

cheers for the link and advice lads :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Martin F wrote:
Ryan S wrote:as Rob says it's just a bit of pipe, there's about a million of them on ebay man, :thumleft:

HaHa, a simple job like that for me turns into a days work :oops: , I may end up just buying one and seeing how it works out, would much prefer to buy something that is a simple swap but if that can't be found I will just buy a random piece, get the grinder out and see what happens #-o

If you buy one with the adapter bit you can mount it 4 different ways (although only 45 degrees of a difference), so there's bound to be an angle that works for you, Even if you need to bend it a bit :lol:
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Ryan S wrote:
Martin F wrote:

If you buy one with the adapter bit you can mount it 4 different ways (although only 45 degrees of a difference), so there's bound to be an angle that works for you, Even if you need to bend it a bit :lol:
:(

yep, that's my first issue, all the pipes I see have the bend on the flange going in the wrong direction...
Not sure there is enough room to accommodate that adapter, even if there is it isn't going to point where I need it to go, no chance of the other bit fitting....
I guess it's only £30, worth a shot as I don't really have any other options, wish me luck :pale:

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

have a search for "dump tube". there's loads. I'll have a wee looky for you too :thumleft:

EDIT: this is actually proving quite difficult, I assume yours needs the flange needs to be turned 90 degrees?
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Ryan S wrote:have a search for "dump tube". there's loads. I'll have a wee looky for you too :thumleft:

EDIT: this is actually proving quite difficult, I assume yours needs the flange needs to be turned 90 degrees?

Yes, think I will order a Stainless flange and some random pipes, get something made up and get it welded together :-k

EDIT, just bought one 340 mm long, will cut the flange off, weld it at the correct angle then do partial cuts and some bending until it fits, then get it all welded up, sounds like fun 8-[
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Ok, I received the pipe today, it is going to be cut up and welded to fit however I am a bit concerned as the internal diameter appears to be only 34mm, is this going to be ok for my needs ???

would I be able to use something like this for the screamer pipe ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALL-SIZES-T30 ... 3641.l6368

Just weld it on the flange, would be so much easier :-k
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Boss for the wideband welded today, I choose the mid pipe for convenience and it was recommended I place the sensor 36" from the turbo...

Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Some more progress today, spent the best part of two hours fixing the front wiper, once I understood how it worked it was very straight forward, the problem was access to the nut on the motor, what a PITA ](*,)
Anyway, gave me a chance to grease up the wiper mechanism and thread lock the wiper nut.
Re-fitted the exhaust, used some extra sealant on top of the gaskets just to perfect things.
fitted the wideband sensor, needed a 22mm spanner, just in case any one goes down this route in the future... :wink:

The screamer pipe could have proved to be a pain, firstly I bought a generic pipe, turned out the flange had a diameter of just 32mm, ](*,) , it was sold for a 38mm external wastegate though so I returned it and bought a flexi coil, I needed to cut and bend the front but the coil was perfect fitting around the turbo etc. I just need to weld the large gap now then weld it to the flange.

Another issue I have is the water temp adapter, measured the pipe to be roughly 36mm in diameter but once I got it I found the lip to make it 38mm + which made it very difficult to fit, when I tightened the tube it would force itself free or leave a gap ](*,) , this was no good, I then bought some silicone sealant but that proved to be a waste of time, and money ](*,)

My plan now is to buy some more aluminium pipe and weld 2cm to either end of the adapter, that will give the coolant hose something to grab on to.

If this works then I can re-fit everything and the car should be ready to go, well, be ready for going back on the road on april 1st.

then a quick mapping session and if that goes to plan I can chillaxc :mrgreen:
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

One issue I had was the coolant cap was hidden under the chargecooler and was either a pain to check or top up.
I tried cutting the pipe to alter the cap position but that didn't go to plan.

I decided just to rebuild the standard setup, worth every penny of the £40 it cost, installed today, materials before install pic :eye:

100mm water temp pipe arrived today, last part of this jigsaw, just waiting on receiving two welded parts and the car will hopefully be ready for mapping....

For some reason my insurance has gone up by more than £100, still cheap in the greater scheme of things but binning them simply for the reason of not explaining why as well as finding out they have previously been charging me for commuting/key cover and personal protection, all of which I never asked for or required :twisted:

I would love to complain but can't be bothered with the hassle of spending hours on a premium rate line, they just won't be getting my business again...

Also on the renewal they haven't listed some of my important mods, mods which they confirmed last year on my email docs as extras (non run of the mill modifications though :? =; =; ) MAJOR FAIL =;

Pic of the screamer pipe now welded 8)

Lots of little mods but they fair add up over time :(
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

On a car like this you have to go agreed value Martin. No two ways about it. I wouldn't let th cover auto renew either. Phone every year, tell them your terms and pay the price :thumleft:
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Bought the 100mm long pipe, then cut the boss of the other pipe and welded it on, feels a lot more secure now. Unfortunately the idiot that filled the gap instead of seem welding it didn't remove the water temp sensor so melted it, got a new one from ebay though so hopefully it will work ok.

screamer welded and fitted now.

I also changed a lot of the piping and removed unnecessary pipes, I move the boost control box to the engine bay also as it wasn't reading the correct boost, turns out it was hitting just 1.4 bar when I thought it was 1.6 bar, that will have had something to do with lower power results (290-310 whp) I saw last time I went on the dyno.

My next port of call is more dyno work, then tidy up the engine bay, then get stuck into the bodywork. Bottom of drivers door, bootlid and part of rear bumper all need tidied and resprayed.
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

That's another years insurance paid, taxed her today and took her out for a drive, ended up being out for 3 hours, great to be back in the car.
Before the boost controller was set at around 42% to achieve 1.5 bar, with the new exhaust fitted I am seeing similar boost at 22%, I presume that is a sign of everything running more freely :pray:

Car hasn't had a clean for 5 months so is a bit dirty but I took a couple of pics, have to say the berk exhaust sounds poor compared to the sheepdog exhaust but I can make do with that for more power :twisted:

Berk exhaust actually looks better than I anticipated !!!

The welder never removed my water temp sensor and melted the insides though #-o , ordered a cheap one from ebay and it doesn't work with my gauges so I will have to fork out for an original sensor.
Everything else pretty much went to plan, wipers now fixed, no oil from the filter or sensors, no water leak from that pipe, car feels planted on the country roads and plenty quick enough at 1.4 bar. I am not going to mess around with boost until I go back to the dyno and get it done properly...

Return to “Member Profiles”