Rear brake fun (oh joy!)

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

turbo cookie!

Rear brake fun (oh joy!)

Post by turbo cookie! »

I have been having alot of trouble with my brakes after i replaced them (sequel when brakes not applied) And i just cant seem to fix it! I have done everything! It seems to be coming from the left rear, I have had it replaced it mr2 bens used calipers, It been tested on a brake test in two garages and they have come back telling me that they are not binding! I have started the car and put it in 1st gear and found this https://youtu.be/rpazAEbhRag Its got to binding right?
2mad

Re: Rear brake fun (oh joy!)

Post by 2mad »

Do you have anti squeal springs fitted on the rear .. only thing apart from binding i could think of :(
Last edited by 2mad on Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
turbo cookie!

Post by turbo cookie! »

2mad wrote:Do you have anti squeal springs fitted on the rear .. only thing apart from binding i could think of :(
no never got any with the car or pads. never had it before only thing i can think of is disk warped
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Dont you have to wind the piston in to fit brake pads , could this have been done incorrectly so the pads are dragging.

Yeah you could check the runout on the disc, see if it warped.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Have you checked the clips for the pads on the carrier? They get full of xxxx if you don't clean them out every so often, which causes pads to stick on a little bit. Not enough to be able to feel it, but enough to make a noise.
turbo cookie!

Post by turbo cookie! »

Gazza_DJ wrote:Have you checked the clips for the pads on the carrier? They get full of xxxx if you don't clean them out every so often, which causes pads to stick on a little bit. Not enough to be able to feel it, but enough to make a noise.

taken the brakes pads off that side and it still hardly moving! any idea?
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

turbo cookie! wrote:
Gazza_DJ wrote:Have you checked the clips for the pads on the carrier? They get full of xxxx if you don't clean them out every so often, which causes pads to stick on a little bit. Not enough to be able to feel it, but enough to make a noise.

taken the brakes pads off that side and it still hardly moving! any idea?

It must be the wheel bearing.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
turbo cookie!

Post by turbo cookie! »

That's what ben said...... Sigh.... what a money pit this car is turning into... :(
mr2garageswindon

Post by mr2garageswindon »

Its not the back plate touching on the disc or very close to the disc? Easily done if the wheel drops onto the backplate while removing the wheel.
turbo cookie!

Post by turbo cookie! »

mr2garageswindon wrote:Its not the back plate touching on the disc or very close to the disc? Easily done if the wheel drops onto the backplate while removing the wheel.

what back plate :D that fell off along time ago :( need to replace it if possible to remove the remains of the old one (little rusty)
mr2garageswindon

Post by mr2garageswindon »

Is the handbrake lever on the caliper back on the stop? How many clicks do you have on the handbrake inside the car? It should be 5-8 clicks. If less then the cable could be keeping the caliper lever off the stop causing it to bind.
doogal44

Post by doogal44 »

Unless You have a slip diff you know both wheels will not spin when in gear and jacked up right?
Try jacking it up on one side and then putting it in gear and then the one rear wheel will spin.
Do you have the shims between the brake pads and pistons. Mine squealed until I removed the shims then they where fine.
doogal44

Post by doogal44 »

P.s
Even if you have a slip diff you may find there is not enough force when it's up on jacks to lock the diff up.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

doogal44 wrote:Unless You have a slip diff you know both wheels will not spin when in gear and jacked up right?
Try jacking it up on one side and then putting it in gear and then the one rear wheel will spin.
Do you have the shims between the brake pads and pistons. Mine squealed until I removed the shims then they where fine.

It depends on how much resistance to turning there is. if both wheels have a low, relatively equal resistance to turning then they will both spin.

Anti squeal shims working well there eh!! :lol:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”