[FINALIZED] MR2 MK1 Supercharger - Japanese Import (1987) *Final Price Reduction*

MR2s for sale - all versions & variants

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

munter

MR2 MK1 Supercharger - Japanese Import (1987) *Final Price Reduction*

Post by munter »

MR2 Mk1 Supercharger - Japanese Import (1987)

UPDATED WITH CURRENT PICTURES

103,000 miles/167,000 km
White
Automatic
MOT March 16

It has been short, but very sweet, but I’m afraid it’s time to find a new owner for my import Japanese Supercharged MR2 MK1. In my ownership for just over three years it’s been a source of joy and reliable daily transport, however a growing family and the need for four seats requires I find someone else to provide a home for this classic little sports car. I will certainly miss those summer evenings with the T-bar panels off cruising about – it’s a massive head turner!

I believe the car was imported in 1995 so has done most of its 103,000 miles in Japan and still has the KM speedo fitted. Given the car is now 28 years old it’s doing pretty well. It’s just passed its MOT and whilst the paintwork isn’t perfection if you’re going to show it, it’s perfectly presentable for weekend, or daily use! I've sprayed the new wings by hand along with the front and rear bumpers, and whilst the colour match is ok there is some shade difference between new and old. She's on the line between full resto and respray and quick tidy each spring. There is very little rust, but be aware the front valances will need replaced at some point as they are happily rusting away behind the front splitter!

To begin with I wasn’t sure how I’d get on with the automatic gearbox having never driven one before, but I have actually grown to enjoy it, especially on longer journeys. The auto version of the MR2 MK1 was the fastest 0-30 road car of its time and with the oversized pulley mod (completed by MR2 guru Paul Woods at Woodsport) this car is quick off the mark as well as having awesome handling characteristics.

Over the three years I’ve spent a fair amount of cash and time on tidying her up, so I’m keen that the car goes to a fellow enthusiast if possible. No hard sell here! A full list of everything I’ve done is listed below. I’ve also kept a mini-blog on IMOC of the work so if you want a warts and all history it’s all there! Generally the car is in a good condition, but there are a few things I’d mention to be totally up front - it is after all a 28 year old car. There has been a repair to the passenger side floor pan (good job and now undersealed), and some small welding to the sills under the C pillars and there is also a small oil leak which I’ve traced back to the distributor (a common issue). I have the seals to fix it, but frankly a couple of drops a month hasn’t made it a priority. It also has a few small rust spots as you’d expect and paintwork is far from perfect. Last MOT noted rear ball joints slight play and rear wheel bearings slight play and that the exhaust had a minor leak and was noisy - but the last three MOTs have said that! Also the rear tyres will need replaced soon. The car is priced competitively on the basis it will require ongoing love and attention and probably a different exhaust if you value your hearing!

£2795 no offers.

New pictures incoming shortly (these are from just over a year ago)

Main Details

• Works RSB Ewing 15” rims with Works RS locking wheel nuts (good conditon but a few light kerbing scratches)
• RARE original Buddy Club front splitter
• Fully refurbished T-bar with new seals and fixings (no leaks)
• Fensport oversized cam pulley and ABV modification by Woodsport for increased boost
• [Loud] custom stainless steel exhaust
• Stock suspension with new Apex lowering springs
• New front and rear drop links
• HKS Powerflow air filter
• Cruise control
• Air conditioning (needs regassed though)
• 4x Uniroyal Rainsport 2 tyres (rears close to needing replaced)
• Pioneer head unit with iPhone input cable
• Just had oil, filter and spark plug change.
• MOT March 2016

Plus spare set of original “Pepperpot” wheels, “just legal” tyres and T-bar glass.

Work done to the car in my ownership:

• New nearside rear brake calliper
• New front wings
• New anti-roll bar poly bushes
• Return to stock suspension with new Apex lowering springs (30mm)
• Oil, filter and spark plug change
• New KBox rubber trim for mouldings

• T-bar panels and surround fully stripped back to metal and refurbished with new Toyota rubber seals and fixings.
• Floor tray cleaned and undersealed
• Small welding fix to spots on sill under C pillar
• New tie rod ends
• New brake discs and pads (EBC Ultimax)
• New steering rack poly bushes
• New CV boots
• Some tidying up of small rust spots and respraying

2012/13

• Fitting of Fensport oversized cam pulley and ABV bypass modification for increased boost.
• New Toyota front and rear ball joints
• Replacement wing mirrors resprayed and fitted
• Complete overhaul of the interior with new fittings and carpet etc.
• Replaced bolt on fog light with integrated CREE LED in the light cluster
• Removed annoying speed warning chime
• Replaced standard plates with import sized ones
• Swapped side repeater and indicators for clear lens
• New silicone intercooler connectors
• New battery
• Coolant flush and change
• Supercharger oil change

Click here to check this thread on IMOC for more details.

Current Pictures

Driver Side

Passenger Side

Engine Bay

Rear

Interior

Frunk

Pop Ups
Last edited by munter on Sat May 09, 2015 9:45 am, edited 11 times in total.
androo007

Re: [FINALIZED] MR2 MK1 Supercharger - Japanese Import (1987) *Final Price Reduction*

Post by androo007 »

Wow at £3k that'll sell in no time-most I've seen have been at 4-5k!. Lovely looking example glws.
munter

Re: [FINALIZED] MR2 MK1 Supercharger - Japanese Import (1987) *Final Price Reduction*

Post by munter »

Thanks.

If I can't get it rehomed with an enthusiast then I'll be popping it on eBay/Auto Trader for around £3295. However I'm hoping you're right and someone that will keep the car in good shape will snap it up before then!
munter

Post by munter »

Ok so I've decided to get a GT86 (slightly more practical!) but the lead times are showing a delivery July/August so this car wont be available until I have the new set of wheels in the drive.

I'll pop some new pictures up shortly showing what the car is like now.

Worth mentioning that the exhaust has shown a small leak on the MOT and having had a good look it seems the flexi section is the culprit. The car is therefore priced with this in mind. (You might want to swap the exhaust out for something less noisy in any case!)

If you are interested please do get in touch and note your interest and offer. Once the car is available I'll get back in touch.

Thanks
Paul
munter

Post by munter »

Another change of plan! Managed to pick up a new BRZ on a super amazing deal and it's due for arrival in the next two weeks, so this is going to be up for sale everywhere next week.

Front wings are all ready to go back on this weekend and I'll be applying new decals where needed as well for the stock look.

P
Last edited by munter on Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oddshoes

Post by oddshoes »

Sent you a pm
munter

Post by munter »

Available now!

Updated with current pictures.

Thanks
oddshoes

Post by oddshoes »

Is it possible to do a manual coversion?
Picaro

Post by Picaro »

oddshoes wrote:Is it possible to do a manual conversion?

Yes, been done a lot, especially here in the States. Finding a cheap donor car somewhere near you might be the best way to go. Even the auto shift lever to manual shift lever swap is not that hard if I recall correctly. Most of it is just tedious work. In particular swapping over the clutch hydraulic line, installing/swapping clutch pedal assembly, with clutch master cylinder, and of course swapping the trannies. I think the ecu's are actually the same, with the auto just having an extra outboard box to make it work, so I think even the auto wiring harness can be used. But don't quote me on all this, lol. Probably plenty of write-ups on it over hear on MR2oc or MR2 sites.
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

Wow this is awesome, :-k wondering If I can scrape the cash together,

I even have a genuine manual supercharger gearbox in my garage, from Toni's old car I believe, :-k

Oh I'm only just down the road, arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Yes Chris that's right - I had that out of Toni Gladdings SC motor I stripped.
munter

Post by munter »

Bump!

Price reduced to £2895
munter

Post by munter »

Final reduction to £2795
Feedback Bot

Post by Feedback Bot »

This Sale has been completed. The Buyer was oukie

Return to “MR2s for Sale”