[Mk2] [NA] Rev 2 na ignition igniter module

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Pauln

[Mk2] [NA] Rev 2 na ignition igniter module

Post by Pauln »

I'm looking to replace the ignition igniter module on my JDM rev2 na

The part number of the one originally fitted is 89621-12050 but I'm finding it hard to get hold of one of these. Does anyone know if I can fit a rev3 plus igniter as there seem to be plenty of the later ones around?

Thanks
Paul
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Rev 2 na ignition igniter module

Post by Peter Gidden »

The loom plug will be different, so a later one won't fit.

Why are you replacing it? I've yet to see one show any fault (IGF failure), and i've only ever known two fail.
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

Thanks Peter.

Car won't start at the moment. Always started first time, then the other day I had a problem starting it, and then when it did it cut out after a couple of minutes. Now it won't start at all. The engine turns over, fires and starts and then immediately stops.

I checked for errors and it's showing code 14. I cleared and checked again and just this same. I assume this means the ECU isn't getting a signal back from the igniter so turns off the injectors?

Plug was fully engaged in igniter and no immediate sign of any damage to cable to igniter or ecu.

Checked the primary and secondary resistance on the coil and that was within spec, though when I took it off the car I did notice it had a crack in the outer plastic so that's probably worth changing.

I assume it's the same story with the coil then, ie needs to be a rev 2 rather than a rev3 +?

Paul
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

Just to update this thread in case it helps someone else.

To recap, my rev2 na suddenly decided not to start and was indicating error code 14, ie ECU was not getting a signal back from the igniter. So having checked all connectors and as I couldn't spot a problem with the wiring, it appeared that the igniter had failed. I tried to find a replacement rev 2 igniter from a breakers, but as the 89621-12050 201 igniter is only used on the rev 2 mr2 I couldn't find one listed any where.

After a bit of research I found this particular igniter was also used on certain Carina and Starlet models, so was finally able to track one down from from a Carina at a breaker.

I fitted the replacement igniter and the car started first time. I then cleared the error codes and restarted the car and ran it for a few minutes before checking for any new error codes.

No codes had been stored, so it looks as thought it really was the igniter and the starting issue is now hopefully sorted.

Paul
Mikey637

Post by Mikey637 »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:The loom plug will be different, so a later one won't fit.

Why are you replacing it? I've yet to see one show any fault (IGF failure), and i've only ever known two fail.

You said the same about track rod ends yet mine do need replacing despite being told they never fail
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Mikey637 wrote:
Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:The loom plug will be different, so a later one won't fit.

You said the same about track rod ends yet mine do need replacing despite being told they never fail

I've never said any component NEVER fails. I might have said a component RARELY fails... :roll:

Return to “Electrical”