Water on the Distributor?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

BrynWyn

Water on the Distributor?

Post by BrynWyn »

Hey guys,
So after the heavy rain, the car has been struggling to start when damp. I have noticed a lot of water on the distributor. I have the under panel water scoops, so the water should only be running onto the air filter. But yet the distributor was soaking wet.

Does anyone else get this issue? Or have any solutions apart from covering the dist every night?

Cheers
wilki

Re: Water on the Distributor?

Post by wilki »

Hi,

I had this problem with mine
Check my project thread out for details, tried the covering things, helped until heavy rain, link under my sig :thumleft:

Mine use to refuse to start after heavy rain, spraying WD40 or duck oil over the distributor and coil pack area, can allow it to splutter back to life while you get to the root of your problem.

In the end my "king" HT lead was goosed. Swapped that then it always started but would still stutter at the lower revs after heavy rain.

So eventually checked my coil pack and that was looking sorry for itself with some small cracks in the casing. Replaced that and has run sweet as a nut since :thumleft:
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

BrynWyn wrote:Or have any solutions apart from covering the dist every night?

Cheers

Ensure all ignition components are in perfect condition, inc. leads, distributor cap, cap-to-distributor O ring seal and coil.

Toyota would never have released a production car that needs a bin bag over half the engine to enable it to start after a bit of rain.
BrynWyn

Post by BrynWyn »

Thanks for the reply.
Il pick up new leads and a distributor cap on the weekend and give it a go :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”