[Mk2] [Generic] Doors don't lock from drivers door but does from the passenger door?

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

arif_manji

[Mk2] [Generic] Doors don't lock from drivers door but does from the passenger door?

Post by arif_manji »

Hi Guys,

I have recently bought a 1996 import MR2 which has a central locking issue. The doors both lock from the passenger door but does not lock from the drivers door.

I've heard this seems to be a common fault on these MR2's.

The switch on the drivers door works fine, locks and unlocks the doors fine.

Any advice on this will be appreciated.

Thank you,
Arif
Owner of:
1996 MR2 Import G-Limited Auto
2004 Celica 1.8 VVTi
acf8181

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Doors don't lock from drivers door but does from the passenger door?

Post by acf8181 »

Has it got an aftermarket alarm fitted? If so, imports need some diodes put in
arif_manji

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Doors don't lock from drivers door but does from the passenger door?

Post by arif_manji »

acf8181 wrote:Has it got an aftermarket alarm fitted? If so, imports need some diodes put in

Hi acf8181,

It hasn't been fitted with any after market alarm or immobiliser, its fairly a standard car.

Could it be a motor or switch in the door? Confused as it looks from the passenger door fine.

Thanks
Owner of:
2004 Celica 1.8 VVTi
mr2magic

Post by mr2magic »

On the back of each lock cylinder there is a switch that looks exactly like this....

The wings clip over the rear of the lock cylinder. I'm guessing your drivers side switch is now sitting down inside the door instead of on the lock :thumleft:
arif_manji

Post by arif_manji »

mr2magic wrote:On the back of each lock cylinder there is a switch that looks exactly like this....

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://www.mr2-ben.co.uk/uploads/cache/ ... to1686.jpg

The wings clip over the rear of the lock cylinder. I'm guessing your drivers side switch is now sitting down inside the door instead of on the lock :thumleft:

OK thanks mate - but if this wasn't sitting in the right place, would you still be able to lock the drivers door from the passenger door?
Owner of:
2004 Celica 1.8 VVTi
mr2magic

Post by mr2magic »

Yes you would, because the passenger side lock also has a the same type of switch on it :wink:
arif_manji

Post by arif_manji »

OK, ill get the drivers side door card off and have a look tomorrow. I assume if it hasn't fallen off, I need a new door switch?
Owner of:
2004 Celica 1.8 VVTi
mr2magic

Post by mr2magic »

It can be one of three things:
1) contact is oxidised and needs cleaning
2) switch is knackered and needs replacing
3) switch has fallen off because tabs have broken.

I'm guessing 3......which maybe can be jury rigged with some duct tape or araldite.
arif_manji

Post by arif_manji »

mr2magic wrote:It can be one of three things:
1) contact is oxidised and needs cleaning
2) switch is knackered and needs replacing
3) switch has fallen off because tabs have broken.

I'm guessing 3......which maybe can be jury rigged with some duct tape or araldite.

Ok thanks mate, ill get the card off tomorrow and have a look.
Owner of:
2004 Celica 1.8 VVTi
arif_manji

Post by arif_manji »

I took the door card off and found that it hadn't fallen off, was quiet dirty so I clean it up and put it back but still doesn't work, see below:

Do the imports and UK MR2's have different switches? The car is due to go in for an alarm installation, will this effect it? Because you can still lock the door from the drivers switch on the door and from the passenger door lock.
Owner of:
2004 Celica 1.8 VVTi
mr2magic

Post by mr2magic »

That is a surprise! Only other option is that the wiring loom is faulty. This happens right where the wiring passes from door to a-pillar and the rubber boot. Might be worth your while to take a look.
Last edited by mr2magic on Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
arif_manji

Post by arif_manji »

Ok, ill check that out but I think I've going to remove the complete unit out, clean and service it and see what happens.

If I need a new switch, can I get a brand new one? I take it the import ones are different?
Owner of:
2004 Celica 1.8 VVTi
mr2magic

Post by mr2magic »

I have no idea if that type is available but I assume so, as the switch for my 1991 us turbo (the same type as the pic) was.

Return to “Electrical”