Is this any good for monitoring intake temps?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

kev8611

Is this any good for monitoring intake temps?

Post by kev8611 »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CYLINDER-HEAD ... 265wt_1190

Just spotted it and wondering if its worth using. Fast enough response time?

Not the best connection for inside pipework being a loop but might do the trick?

Thanks
raptor95GTS

Re: Is this any good for monitoring intake temps?

Post by raptor95GTS »

updates twice a second so it's certainly in the ball park for being useful
2mad

Post by 2mad »

When you remove the metal ring your looking for a k type thermocouple like in this pic .. this is the type of sensor that works best for air temp .. had a few over the years .

This type of sensors to slow to react ... Image
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

yep 2mad, that's the thermocouple i used. Have ordered a new display as the other one was defaulting to J type instead of k type, suppose I could have bought a j thermocouple lol. What display are you using?
2mad

Post by 2mad »

raptor95GTS wrote:yep 2mad, that's the thermocouple i used. Have ordered a new display as the other one was defaulting to J type instead of k type, suppose I could have bought a j thermocouple lol. What display are you using?

I did have a beautiful autometer but it popped, may try and get a new sensor for it ... The one i used to check my st205's intake temp was just like the first pic , the gauge is just a hand held battery operated job .. it was cheap from ebay and I got the answer i was looking for.

When i fit my meth kit i'll get something nice.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

yep, know the feeling well re nice gauges, I've had a few multimeter's attached to the dash but they aint exactly pleasing on the eye although accurate
kev8611

Post by kev8611 »

Thanks for the info guys.

Think il give it a try and see how i get on. Its not breaking the bank so if it doesnt work i wont be out of pocket too much :)
bri0905

Post by bri0905 »

So what sort of guage would work with that kind of thermocouple?

Can't seem to see one, does that square plug come off to be wired into a guage.

Brian
96 Rev 3 Turbo, Done!
kev8611

Post by kev8611 »

Just had a look at sellers other items before i commit to buy.

Got loads of different combinations and you can specify what probe you want instead of the ring.

Is 1 second sampling ok?
RST

Post by RST »

When you remove the metal ring your looking for a k type thermocouple like in this pic .. this is the type of sensor that works best for air temp .. had a few over the years .

Thermocouples are not that great at measuring temps in that range TBH, there are are allot better probes (more expensive though). But I agree, they're common and strip off the metal if you can't find ones already stripped and it'll be much quicker response.

Shame I didn't go into a sideline business a few years ago -I used to weld my own thermocouples for test rigs. Can't think how many thousands I made! I could have sold off probes by the dozen from off-cuts.
craig

Post by craig »

Spa thermocouple in/out refresh rate is 4 times per sec.
Draven

Post by Draven »

It is also £333 new
kev8611

Post by kev8611 »

Yeah the spa is very expensive compared to others. It may work the best but I dont fancy forking out that amount.

This arrived today. Seems a pretty good piece of kit so will report back with my verdict soon.
Draven

Post by Draven »

kev8611 wrote:Yeah the spa is very expensive compared to others. It may work the best but I dont fancy forking out that amount.

This arrived today. Seems a pretty good piece of kit so will report back with my verdict soon.

Let me know i'm interested in this.
Poker Face

Post by Poker Face »

From the same seller from your op.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk//mainlinesensors

Not as good as I first thought but left the link anyway.

But for £36 Inc vat you could get one of these attach it with a phone clamp and it doubles up for engine bay temps you can't get near. Just get a longer k type I don't think the one with it will be long enough.
http://www.hvacstore.co.uk/acatalog/Onl ... wwodTZUAwA
Poker Face

Post by Poker Face »

I'm looking at getting something myself as my temps during mapping were saying low 30's but the mapper thought probably a bit higher. Unfortunately due to time constraints as we were already behind schedule, we didn't have time to fit a ktype and a data logger.
So I want to log my own data, then change my ic see if temps drop then push my map a bit further.
Sorry if I'm high jacking your thread but I've been thinking about this too so I thought I'd share it with you.
kev8611

Post by kev8611 »

I will let you guys know what its like once i have it fitted

The good thing is the seller states you can choose whatever end you want and length of the cable.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

bri0905 wrote:So what sort of guage would work with that kind of thermocouple?

Can't seem to see one, does that square plug come off to be wired into a guage.

Brian

Missed your post the first time mate (sorry) that sensor comes with a battery operated gauge .. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TM-902C-K-Typ ... 1c39ce8479

I extended the loom so it reached the engine and took some reading (hope its accurate, should have tested)

At some point ill do some testing try the sensor with my autometer setup .
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

yeah I've got one of those displays, it's fine, fast enough to watch the temps rise as you boost but er not exactly pleasing on the eye when attached to the dashboard lol. I believe thermocouples need extending using thermocouple cable, not just anything you have lying about. Plenty of places selling 3m thermocouple probes or you can buy the cabling and cut to suit. I've bought this little gauge, just waiting on it turning up small gauge from china
2mad

Post by 2mad »

raptor95GTS wrote:yeah I've got one of those displays, it's fine, fast enough to watch the temps rise as you boost but er not exactly pleasing on the eye when attached to the dashboard lol. I believe thermocouples need extending using thermocouple cable, not just anything you have lying about. Plenty of places selling 3m thermocouple probes or you can buy the cabling and cut to suit. I've bought this little gauge, just waiting on it turning up small gauge from china

I used cable about the right size and it seemed to work fine at room temp but yes i should have check calibration with a gauge i knows accurate .. heating the sensors at the same time with a hairdryer #-o
Last edited by 2mad on Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”