[Mk2] [Generic] Upgrading sound system - advice please

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

alex687

[Mk2] [Generic] Upgrading sound system - advice please

Post by alex687 »

Currently my car has the basic sound system (ie no sub/amp). I've got a decent head unit and upgraded the front components to some nice 6" aplines (with an mdf spacer) - although I think I have to do a better job of sealing around the speaker to stop the noise cancelling - anyone have any tips for this?

I have a 10" sub with amp in my other car and absolutely love it so really would love to either fit it in my mr2 or buy another sub+amp for it. I don't really want to take up a load of room behind the passenger seat with a bit box and 10" sub so I was thinking of getting a standard sub box for that cubby hole and maybe fitting an aftermarket cone in it with a decent amp - Does anyone have any experience of doing something like this? or recommendations for a slim designed sub box to sit behind the seat - with space being so limited I would probably want a fairly small amp too!
madbasshunter

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Upgrading sound system - advice please

Post by madbasshunter »

I bonded my mdf adapters on as well as screwing them into place

Then sound deadening around them

I have fitted a Pyle 5.25 woofer into the stock box, worked ok

Needed an mdf spacer to fit

But not enough bass for me :wink:

RyanRs wrote:
Skywalker wrote:explain how the coolant leaves the expansion tank and goes back into the coolant system?

Seriously , you don't know the answer to this? and you call yourself a car mechanic :shock:
alex687

Post by alex687 »

Nice - and were u using the stock amp with that little sub?

have you by any chance still got that set up and want to sell it??

Is that sound deadening stuff expensive? is an alternative to get a good seal between the door card and front of speaker by modifying the door card and using some sort of padded seal?
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

My Turbo came without a sub in either cubby space behind the seats, so I purchased a second hand stock sub box for the passenger side, which I cleaned up and lined inside and out with sound deadening material to lower the box resonant frequency a bit and fitted a new Vibe Slick 5 woofer.

After playing around with the roll off on the sub output on the head unit, and the rolloff on the sub amp I fitted in the frunk, I'm quite pleased with the results. It doesn't get down to the sort of frequencies possible with a large enclosure behind the seat, but I was after the OEM look and didn't want to loose the storage space for the roof panels on my t-bar.

It has however given me a much fuller sound and thanks to the new vibe unit and loads of sound deadening material to add mass to the plastic enclosure, the sound is much cleaner than the stock toyota sub setup I had in my na.

When fitting mdf spacers to the door I usually liberally coat the rear with unseal which usually ensures a decent seal, but can be a bit messy if you get too carried away.

Paul
Last edited by Pauln on Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

A bead of silicone sealant on the back of the spacer is sufficient sealing but do not fit the speakers until it's gone off, the fumes damage the rubber on the speakers.

That's my setup big amp running vibe 5.25" 2 way front speakers and a small self contained kenwood sub/amp. The subs good for the money it's not massively noticeable on it's own but it leaves a big hole in the sound if you switch it off which is what you should be aiming for.
alex687

Post by alex687 »

That's my setup big amp running vibe 5.25" 2 way front speakers and a small self contained kenwood sub/amp. The subs good for the money it's not massively noticeable on it's own but it leaves a big hole in the sound if you switch it off which is what you should be aiming for.

So that rectangular sub has it's own amp built in? I might go down that route then. Hopefully I can get away without another amp and just power the front speakers off the head unit...[/quote]
Mikey637

Post by Mikey637 »

I have one of these behind my passenger seat, for the money I paid (£120 with staff discount) it's incredible. Obviously it's not as good as a proper enclosure but for something so small and self powered it's decent. I can still fit both Tbar panels behind the drivers seat easy and the strap for the Tbar on the passenger side holds it in :thumleft: I'll get some pics of it fitted later.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/vibe-optisoun ... watt-n36nl
alex687

Post by alex687 »

Mikey637 wrote:I have one of these behind my passenger seat, for the money I paid (£120 with staff discount) it's incredible. Obviously it's not as good as a proper enclosure but for something so small and self powered it's decent. I can still fit both Tbar panels behind the drivers seat easy and the strap for the Tbar on the passenger side holds it in :thumleft: I'll get some pics of it fitted later.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/vibe-optisoun ... watt-n36nl

Like the look of that - could it not fit under the seat on the floor? sounds better than the kenwood equivalent. There's a second hand one on ebay going for £100 - tempting...
Draven

Post by Draven »

Nope it doesn't fit under the seat. or rather it does but you then can't move the seat unless you want a huge score down the amp. :pale:
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

alex687 wrote:Nice - and were u using the stock amp with that little sub?

have you by any chance still got that set up and want to sell it??

Is that sound deadening stuff expensive? is an alternative to get a good seal between the door card and front of speaker by modifying the door card and using some sort of padded seal?

Sorry I only knocked it up to see if it would fit and work okay :roll: I plugged it in to the stock amp and played a track before removing it. Eventually got rid of it the other week.

A cheap way of sound deadening is to use underseal inside the doors and most motor factors sell the cheap black sound deadening pads.

Tiger seal or similar to hold and seal the wooden adapter on, the door card fits over the speaker.

The Vibe optima is quite good I have fitted a few in vehicles for people, even in a van, but too big to go under the seat
As you can see when I did a test run for Jim
But it would fit well on the bulkhead behind the passenger.
RyanRs wrote:
Skywalker wrote:explain how the coolant leaves the expansion tank and goes back into the coolant system?

Seriously , you don't know the answer to this? and you call yourself a car mechanic :shock:

Return to “Electrical”