[Mk2] [Turbo] Flashing indicators

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Matt49a

[Mk2] [Turbo] Flashing indicators

Post by Matt49a »

Can anyone help please, I have a cheap central locking kit fitted into my car it has two wires out for flashing the lights to indicate locking/unlocking.
I have wired these two wires into the hazard switch that runs to the indicators controls. My problem is that when I indicate the signal loops through the locking kit and flashes both sides at the same time. I Have bought 12v diodes from maplins and they don't work, the indicators perform as normal but the lights don't flash on locking
Dose anyone no a way to make the circuit only run one way as the diode doesn't seem to work
Pauln

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Flashing indicators

Post by Pauln »

You may find that someone with more knowledge may have a better solution, but looking at the wiring diagram the only way I can think of to do this is by using a suitable relay in parallel with the hazard switch to mimic it's action.

This assumes that you can use the two wires on you CL kit to momentarily pull in the relay, so you'd need to check what these actually do.

Alternatively you could consider flashing the side lights instead.

Paul
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Hi mate , there are two wires under the steering column for the indercators (one left , one right) you tap these wires for your alarm ... cant remember which off hand ... google mr2 turbo alarm install .. thats what i dad worked great :thumleft:

Ps.. mabe not as simple as i thought, couldnt find the pinouts ](*,) maybe another member can check for you and give you the wire colours .. i dont have an mr2 at the mo :cry:
acf8181

Post by acf8181 »

You need to install diodes on imports,

from this link - http://mr2oc.co.uk/forums/topic/159452.html

For the hazard flash, the device outputs a 12V signal of up to 15A to drive the indicators directly on a brown cable. Unfortunately, you can't simply hook up the cable because the indicators work on separate circuits.

Following the guide above, you need the green/black wire and the green/yellow wire located in the main harness under the steering wheel column and a couple of high power diodes. I used 3A diodes which seem to have worked fine for me and to wire in would look something like this.

............................../-----I>|----- green/yellow
brown cable from remote
..............................\-----I>|----- green/black

By installing it like that with a couple of diodes means the remote unit can operate the hazards as a lock/unlock indicator but also means that the indicators still work independent of each other.
Matt49a

Post by Matt49a »

thanks for all your post chaps, going to maplins on Friday meeting the boss he's going to try some different diodes see if it works

Will take info from here with me and keep you posted

Cheers

Return to “Electrical”