[Mk2] [Generic] Active Stereo wiring

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

RandomDan

[Mk2] [Generic] Active Stereo wiring

Post by RandomDan »

So the fun has begun.
It seems that i have the 'active speakers' what ever that even means!
I would just like to know if the stereo im trying to fit doesnt have all the required RCA outputs if i was to splice the outputs into a spare ISO mini loom i have will all the speakers work as the should?
I dont know if i will be short of any power/amplification if I do this.
Car is a rev3.
Pauln

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Active Stereo wiring

Post by Pauln »

Having the active speaker system means that your car came fitted with additional small amplifiers fitted at different locations around the inside of the car. For example there are small amplifiers located behind the plastic trim panel close to the location of the seat belt reel.

If the wiring behind the existing radio is all still intact and the original Toyota connections are still there, it's simply a case of buying the correct iso to mr2 adapter. As far as I know there are only two available, one for the active system and one for the passive system.

This is the sort of thing needed for an active system:
link

If however your new stereo doesn't have the necessary pre amp outputs (usually phono), you can't just splice the loudspeaker outputs from your new stereo to the existing wiring as this will send a loudspeaker level output to the stock amps, which will severely overload their inputs caused distortion or the amps to blow. If you don't have the pre amp outputs, it's best to ditch the existing active system and run new speaker cabling from your new stereo direct to the loudspeakers. If you've bought a good quality stereo it will also probably sound better, especially if you upgrade some of the stock speakers.

Paul
Last edited by Pauln on Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RandomDan

Post by RandomDan »

The stereo i have has 2 outputs only.
Would it be possible to splice the front and rear lines together in that case?
This would only leave me with left and right speakers and no front and back but id prefer that to ripping out the whole interior haha.
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

It depend whether you mean it has two preamp phono outputs or just two loudspeaker outputs. If phono, then yes you could split that to feed the inbuilt amps. Just remember every time you split it you halve the impedance seen at your stereo which may or may not be an issue.

The other factor to keep in mind is whether you have the stock sub(s) fitted behind the seats. I think the active system usually came with at least one sub behind the passenger seat. But some versions, like my G-ltd came with two subs, one behind each seats. These again run off their own built in amps, so there will also be wires for these in the loom.

Paul
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

RandomDan wrote:The stereo i have has 2 outputs only.

You need a pair of these then http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/22146582 ... 0&ff14=108
RyanRs wrote:
Skywalker wrote:explain how the coolant leaves the expansion tank and goes back into the coolant system?

Seriously , you don't know the answer to this? and you call yourself a car mechanic :shock:
acf8181

Post by acf8181 »

Yeah, you can use an RCA splitter if your headunit only has one pair of preouts/rca's....i have noticed a loss of sound quality doing this once though, but could be the unit wasn't as good as the other unit i got which had two pairs of pre-outs.

Then just plug it into the autoleads pc9-406
acf8181

Post by acf8181 »

Pauln wrote:H If you don't have the pre amp outputs, it's best to ditch the existing active system and run new speaker cabling from your new stereo direct to the loudspeakers. If you've bought a good quality stereo it will also probably sound better, especially if you upgrade some of the stock speakers.

Paul

I disagree...the active system sounds much much better.

And the easiest thing to do would be buy a new stereo if you have no rca pre-outs.
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

acf8181 wrote:

I disagree...the active system sounds much much better.

And the easiest thing to do would be buy a new stereo if you have no rca pre-outs.

Each to their own, just my personal opinion based on the active system that was fitted in my na and the passive system in my tubby.

Paul
RandomDan

Post by RandomDan »

New stereo has been ordered.

So far this car has proven to be far more complicated than i expected haha

Return to “Electrical”