Rain Repellents

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

TheLepresean

Rain Repellents

Post by TheLepresean »

Hi all,

Has anyone ever tried any of the rain repellents? I never have, but was reading a leaflet in a Halfords Autocentre (work van was getting an MOT, my car obviously doesn't go near...!) and there's some product they recommend that apparently actually bonds to the glass and lasts months?
acf8181

Re: Rain Repellents

Post by acf8181 »

Use Rain-X on MR2 (and karting visor) and its ace, most useful if doing a lot of motorway driving....though it didn't work on my daily citroen which has a weird screen coating already. Tried a cheaper brand once and it was no good on any screen!
Draven

Post by Draven »

I tend to use windscreen wax when i'm polishing the car up after cleaning. It acts as a rain repellent and if done properly it makes it look great.
juliankv73

Post by juliankv73 »

My RAV4 had guardX treatment and the water would head and when driven just beaded off, clearing the screen better than the wipers :thumleft:
TheLepresean

Post by TheLepresean »

RainX is a brand I've heard of before, forgot what the brand Halfords were recommending was - but by the looks of things it required an application at a branch etc, rather than a spray bottle you might buy in one of their stores and apply yourself. Just looking for a recommendation of what's best!
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

Gtechnic C5
QUOC2008

Post by QUOC2008 »

Try sonax brillant shine detailer it works better then most waxes and sealants... quick to put on lasts for weeks im surprise its only a detailer but work and rivals exspensive waxes and rain repellents water repellent and shines plus you can use it on anything.

Its won best product of the year 2012, 2013, 2014...

I try rainx its rubbish just smears and makes ur screen blurry doesnt even really work well.

G5techic is good to but soooo exspensive for just a little bottle.
MR2 REV 3 TURBO 450BHP
3000GT VR4 TT 500BHP
EVO X FQ360
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

rainX works pretty good, used it a few times on mine and certainly made a difference but as I've not used the others I can't say whether they're better or worse. It's certainly not something that wont wear off so if you find one doesn't work for you, try another later :)
TheLepresean

Post by TheLepresean »

Might try a bottle of RainX then, it's only cheap so might as well give it a go. That Sonax stuff you recommended Q, what actually is it? You make it sound like it's a one-chemical-does-all! Expensive?
synXero

Post by synXero »

I've always used Rain-X and think it's brilliant. It's absolutely awesome on the Corvette and was on the MR2s as well. Anything with a slopey windscreen, your wipers just get in the way after a good application! I confess it maybe only truly lasts about a month or something, but it's not hugely expensive and it does last as well. It's not like tyre shine which lasts all of about 30 miles and the bottle only does the car twice #-o
QUOC2008

Post by QUOC2008 »

Rainx does work but is far from what i consider good... try the proffessional detailers stuff its better.

Sonax is almost like a one product does all... http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/valeting- ... _1192.html
MR2 REV 3 TURBO 450BHP
3000GT VR4 TT 500BHP
EVO X FQ360
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

I'm presuming the OP is on about sealants for the windows. Then it's best to try Rain x as it's readily available, cheap and if you like it you can try something like Gtechniq C2 or C5 which are far superior.

Cleaning the windscreen very well is key to it working well.

Try bar keepers friend powder on a damp cloth and work in (use gloves) the stuff is awesome and has a thousand other uses as well :thumleft:
TheLepresean

Post by TheLepresean »

If RainX is good enough for a Corvette, it's definitely worth a go :wink:

I'll pick some up tomorrow and give it a go :)
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

I tried rainx on my 2 and it worked allright. I lent the stuff to a friend and my dad who both have fairly new cars but all it seemed to do was leave weird streaks.
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

Mixed reaction with peoples experience of it smearing on the windscreen. Getting it REALLY clean is important as well as application.
synXero

Post by synXero »

Absolutely. Really clean. Make sure and get it degreased. Glass polish is a great product especially if you've got a machine buffer.
QUOC2008

Post by QUOC2008 »

This is wat i mean why should u have to buff and clean it with a buffer... a good product will go on easy and come off easy without marks or smearing
MR2 REV 3 TURBO 450BHP
3000GT VR4 TT 500BHP
EVO X FQ360
acf8181

Post by acf8181 »

gnzyza wrote:Mixed reaction with peoples experience of it smearing on the windscreen. Getting it REALLY clean is important as well as application.

Decent wiper blades too.....though you'll only use them very occasionally (prob when stationary)
ashley

Post by ashley »

Another vote for RainX, never had any issues with it- just clean the windscreen as normal as part of washing the car, dry it then follow the instructions....simples. I've never had to buff, polish or lick the screen first.

It doesn't last for ever, so you do need to reapply each time you clean the car...but it's worth it :thumleft:
RST

Post by RST »

Er,a negatory for rain X for me. It coated the windscreen horribly -my wipers smeared and took months of scrubbing to get it off. Each to their own -I personally find additives like this far worse than cleaning and then changing blades regularly * might be good on track but on the road is a total negative for me*

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”