Thoughts on this MK1?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Tsia

Thoughts on this MK1?

Post by Tsia »

Hi guys,

I've been more and more tempted recently to ditch the daily MX-5 for something a bit more 'me' - that is to say, an MR2. I've seen this on eBay (yes I'm aware it's going to go up in price) and wondered, aside from the usual sill rust, what else should I be looking out for on an MK1?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161584170703? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Cheers! :thumleft:

(And don't worry - I'm fine with the tidying up that needs doing that I can see from the pictures :) )
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Re: Thoughts on this MK1?

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Rust on the chassis rails is the real killer IMO, look round the front ARB mounts, all round the lower part of the front wheel wells and round the mounts for the rear trailing arms.
jimi

Post by jimi »

mk1 dal

Post by mk1 dal »

Hi i know this car it was on the mr2 mk1 club stand at silver stone classics last year . The lad selling is a genuine nice guy , the car is tatty but looked solid , if you buy it and you do the work your self e.g weld in new rear arch kit and repaint the car i would budget a least 700 - 800 pounds as the paint is a pearl base + lacquer to have a nice looking car . It would make a good project .
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

Thanks for the information guys - I can see another MR2 in the background of the pictures too - and now you've confirmed he's another enthusiast (which is encouraging).

Just need to decide if I can ditch my proven reliable MX-5 as my runaround for something with much higher mileage and potential not to pass it's next MOT :?

:-k
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

Lovely blue interior :thumleft:
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

Ollie@PacificWorks wrote:Lovely blue interior :thumleft:

My sarcasm sensor is going wild ;)

I'm tempted to just hang about and get a white one though - as that's what I'd really like :)
AW11mike

Post by AW11mike »

A white one would be better! :)
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Matt - Reign Autoworks wrote:
Ollie@PacificWorks wrote:Lovely blue interior :thumleft:

My sarcasm sensor is going wild ;)

I'm tempted to just hang about and get a white one though - as that's what I'd really like :)

white supercharger would be best..

I can't many problems with reliablity to be honet.. i used mine daily.. always had stuff to do on it but never once let me down... actually of 15 years driving mr2 only ever had once back of low loader thats when i spun it and ditched the supension
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

I think it really depends on your total budget, buy that car then budget a £1k .
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”