[All] [Generic] Running in newly built Engine - Can cause damage to Turbo Journal Bearings? -

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Danbob

[All] [Generic] Running in newly built Engine - Can cause damage to Turbo Journal Bearings? -

Post by Danbob »

I’m sure I heard or read somewhere claims that when running in a fresh engine, metallic particles dislodged while the rings are bedding in can cause damage to your turbo bearings.

This isn’t my opinion, I just want to find out if anybody else has heard this/experienced this in the past?

I’ve got a spare CT26 I could run during the running in period to protect my other turbo, but if this is just a myth then I’d rather not have to swap the turbos over after the run in unnecessarily

Please discuss……………..

Cheers
Dan
2mad

Re: [All] [Generic] Running in newly built Engine - Can cause damage to Turbo Journal Bearings? -

Post by 2mad »

I understand the logic but wouldn't the oil-filter do its bit .

Paging .. Pete .. Paul .. Bob .. anyone .. 8-[
Danbob

Re: [All] [Generic] Running in newly built Engine - Can cause damage to Turbo Journal Bearings? -

Post by Danbob »

Sorry all, failure of my memory bank,

I Think I was remembering reading somebody ruining their turbo because they had swarf left over in their engine from where the bores had been machined.

Think I've just pulled that memory back out wrong - Must be getting old!

Unless somebody has better info to share? But I think it can be closed
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Danbob wrote:Sorry all, failure of my memory bank,

I Think I was remembering reading somebody ruining their turbo because they had swarf left over in their engine from where the bores had been machined.

Think I've just pulled that memory back out wrong - Must be getting old!

Unless somebody has better info to share? But I think it can be closed

I've done loads of porting work (love it) metal getting back into the systems a big no no .. but talking general ware a tear braking in an engine is very defferant ... can this metal kill a turbo .. very valid question I would like to know the answer too mate .. cant believe I hadn't thought of this question earlyer.
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

In a word "No" :D
'98 Rev5 Turbo (GEO 1S)

TOTB13 RWD 1/4mile 1st place
TOTB14 RWD 1/4mile 3rd place (Misfiring)
TOTB15 RWD 1/4mile 2nd place (HG Failure)
TOTB16 RWD 1/4mile 1st place
ashley

Post by ashley »

The metal fragments from running in the rings should be washed down into the sump, the oil would then be pulled though the oil pick up and via the pump to the oil filter, which should then remove the metal particles before oil goes into the main system, and then on into the turbo.

So in theory you should be fine, but it's a good argument for flushing a fresh build through with clean oil before running it up, and then again after running in before giving it the beans.
Danbob

Post by Danbob »

Yeah being as paranoid and fussy as I am I'll likely run through several gallons of oil through run in just for piece of mind.

Think this topic is solved to be honest, but its always good to ask questions! You never know when you might be surprised by an answer!
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Danbob wrote: its always good to ask questions!

Absolutely :thumleft:
Adam86
Premium Member

Post by Adam86 »

Magnetic sump plugs also do a good job on a fresh engine.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

It can take a good day to correctly clean a block after having all the machine work done on it, all plugs have to be removed and the bores need a very good scrub, this on its own can take an hour or more
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

At Honda we used to hard bed the engines in. One advice is if buying a new car drop the oil as soon as you get it.

Return to “Modifications”