So is a UK conversion to turbo car one to avoid?? or OK if done right?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

masterbateson

So is a UK conversion to turbo car one to avoid?? or OK if done right?

Post by masterbateson »

As the title suggests,
I have been pondering, and my initial pondering made me think "you really want to avoid a conversion if you can"
Then a bit more pondering later made me think "why should it matter, providing all steps/conversions are done??? :?: :idea: "

So Would we all be happy if
1 engine and ecu/wiring was swapped out (gearbox?)
2 Brake servo replaced
3 clutch pedal replaced or modded to match
4 brakes and suspension checked fit for purpose( i cant believe turbos have same brakes as standard and only single piston sliding callipers)
5 Owt else i dont know about.

I havent included the turbo engine cover as i dont know if it matters, but of course i would prefer one.

Any difference in steering rack :?: ON MGTF some cars have better fast reacting racks.

Or would you in the know say, a conversion is never as good as an import original?
But Im not talking paperwork wise or resale value wise, just purely on mechanicals.

I'll leave that one with you all.
:wink:
2mad

Re: So is a UK conversion to turbo car one to avoid?? or OK if done right?

Post by 2mad »

Done properly .. don't see a problem . good thing to see is paperwork especially for the engine .

Most are converted from a downer car .. it would be nice to know something about it eg. millage, service history ect..
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

Nothing wrong with it at all buddy :thumleft:

A lot of the UK cars converted to a turbo will be due to the import turbo car that the engine and running gear originally started life in, becoming a rust bucket or worse... It got smashed.

My car is a 1998 UK Rev5 running Japanese Rev3+ Turbo running gear. I've no issues with it at all.
I am swapping back to a JDM shell next year but that's down to me wanting to build from a bare shell up and that's the shell I got my hands on.

I wouldn't worry too much about it all though, if it has been put back together correctly it's no different really :)
'98 Rev5 Turbo (GEO 1S)

TOTB13 RWD 1/4mile 1st place
TOTB14 RWD 1/4mile 3rd place (Misfiring)
TOTB15 RWD 1/4mile 2nd place (HG Failure)
TOTB16 RWD 1/4mile 1st place
2mad

Post by 2mad »

I would not be worried .. be nice to have some paperwork on the car and downer :thumleft:

And who did the conversion .
masterbateson

Post by masterbateson »

so
Allegedly/apparently and definately maybe, the REV3 cars have a better setup, with regauards to suspension and chassis components.

So on a similar note, which would we think is better?

A standard REV3 setup re shocks springs and bushes etc

Or in the case of some one for example wanted to make the best of his/her Tubby had fitted for example
Bilstein or spaxs adjustable shock with mybe Tein springs(maybe height adjustable) with a full set of nice polybushes.

Once again as harry hill would say FIGHT!!

And are REV1 really phycopaths that are unstable and want to throw you through a hedge or into a dry stone wall compared with a Rev3 as some people will lead you to believe?
craig

Post by craig »

My 1st MR2 (I'm on my 5th now!) was a rev1 UK car converted to rev1 turbo.

Nothing wrong with a converted car at all, as long as it's done by a reputable/compent person/business.

I would go rev3+ turbo engine for conversion though.
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

Brake servo and clutch pedal don't require any work for the swap. Stock mr2 brakes are very good with decent pads they were well specced for the job at design just a shame the sliders seize on cars that don't see much use.

A uk conversion is perfectly fine if done well the wiring is usually a good indicater, well ran, secured cabling and pipework shows care has been taken instead of random wiring/hoses snaking all over the engine
masterbateson

Post by masterbateson »

Just Been reading your build thread for last 30 or 40 mins redMR2 :clap:

I like your car =P~
but i wouldn't like digging in my pockets like you must have done.

Wish i wasn't a cheap skate who spends his money on boring things like mortgages and the like #-o

Oh well I'll just have to do like I did with My MGTF and see if i can make a silk purse out of a sows ear courtesy of mr Ebays 2nd hand parts emporium.

Now what have i forgotten?

Oh yeah i need a car to start with.
Nails

Post by Nails »

The thing for me is who did the conversation and you can't always trust because its been done by a garage that its been done right. Garages are doing work to time scales and for money so always has an impact.

Main reason for me is I'd rather a jdm shell as it would have seen less uk winters. I think my current one was imported in 06/07 and is a 94 car so its had a good 12 years easy salt etc before its come here.
craig

Post by craig »

masterbateson wrote:Just Been reading your build thread for last 30 or 40 mins redMR2 :clap:

I like your car =P~
but i wouldn't like digging in my pockets like you must have done.

Thanks mate, appreciate the comments and taking the time to read the thread. :salut:

Yes, it has been an expensive journey, there have been ups and downs, but just can't wait to have the car back now, and get in the mountains with it! 8)

Roof off, 30 degrees, french mountain roads.........bliss :thumleft:
masterbateson

Post by masterbateson »

Sorry for the following slightly sacrilegious question turbo chaps but, brace yourselves.

Just Wondering from say a starting point In a N/A say a 94plate rev3?( European & Japanese market 3S-GE now rated at 173 Bhp )

How much beef can you get out of one of these from Basic mods and maybe remap, up to more exotic/lavish modding/tuning?

There have been many threads on MGTF forums of the benefits of both turbo cars and N/A cars.

Of course a lot of nay sayers often through up the improved reliabilty of a N/A over those pesky troublesome turbo's :lol: :lol:

Pure Torque power with no Lag or Turbo boost kicks? :whistle:
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

masterbateson wrote:Sorry for the following slightly sacrilegious question turbo chaps but, brace yourselves.

Just Wondering from say a starting point In a N/A say a 94plate rev3?( European & Japanese market 3S-GE now rated at 173 Bhp )

How much beef can you get out of one of these from Basic mods and maybe remap, up to more exotic/lavish modding/tuning?

There have been many threads on MGTF forums of the benefits of both turbo cars and N/A cars.

Of course a lot of nay sayers often through up the improved reliabilty of a N/A over those pesky troublesome turbo's :lol: :lol:

Pure Torque power with no Lag or Turbo boost kicks? :whistle:

The N/A engines were very well developed. You'd have to spend 000s to get any appreciable increase in power. And even if you did, it would be undriveable on the road unless you intended keeping the revs in the upper limits.
Hez

Post by Hez »

The nay sayers are usually the ones who wished they had bought a turbo, like any car of this age it will require some maintenance but in my experience of 3 mr2 turbos i dont find them unreliable at all. The main problems i've had are sticking brakes and worn suspension components which are easy enough to do on the drive.
There are plenty of decent mr2's left, however most of the sub 1k mr2's will just be a money pit.
Dont try finding away around it, just keep saving take your time and wait for the perfect mr2 turbo which do pop up.
masterbateson

Post by masterbateson »

I think a lot of people, particularly non petrol heads who don't know a spanner from hammer, here the words blown turbo or turbo's gone and think its the end of the world.

At the end of the day if your turbo packs up its only a case of whipping it off and sticking a new one in, or replacing the cartridge or if your even more adventurous buying a refurb kit.

I suppose its an extra expense that NA fans will never have to stump up for, as it cant go wrong if you haven't got one.
But that hardly changes the car into the realms of unreliability.

Its a bit like the nonsense people talk about MGF's and TFs re the K series engine and head gasket problems.

The K series is no more unreliable than any other car as long as its got a MLS gasket on it, and is well serviced with Particular attention to correct mixture of OAT coolant,well bled in all 3 places and stainless underfloor coolant pipes.
Bit of maintenance and they are bullet proof.
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

masterbateson wrote:The K series is no more unreliable than any other car as long as its got a MLS gasket on it, and is well serviced with Particular attention to correct mixture of OAT coolant,well bled in all 3 places and stainless underfloor coolant pipes.
Bit of maintenance and they are bullet proof.
LOLZ
Please don't use those 2 phrases together :lol:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

K series? Reliable? :D

I must have dreamt about the hundreds of Rovers and Freelanders i used to recover all those years ago when working for Green Flag.

Biggest turd ever produced. :thumleft:
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

It's not always as simple as just replacing/rebuilding the turbo if it goes, they can cause headaches elsewhere too #-o

If you're really after an NA though - maybe look into the late models with a BEAMS engine. c. 200bhp with variable valve timing :D
masterbateson

Post by masterbateson »

K series rubbish from the factory, but uprated with proper parts and they are fine.

I cant believe at the factory someone decided having plastic locating dowels on the block for the head was a good idea #-o

Metal dowels MLS gasket and no probs.

Lots of cars from the factory on the road and a lot that never get any maintenance.
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

masterbateson wrote:K series rubbish from the factory, but uprated with proper parts and they are fine.
So it's "fine" as long as you strip it down and make modifications?

Wow :clap:
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

JohnnyC wrote:
masterbateson wrote:K series rubbish from the factory, but uprated with proper parts and they are fine.
So it's "fine" as long as you strip it down and make modifications?

Wow :clap:

They were good enough for Caterham to get 230bhp out of a naturally aspirated 1.8L - it's a very light engine too. For it's time, it wasn't that bad. Yes, HGF is a problem but it is known and uprated parts are available to prevent it in the future.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”