[Mk2] [Generic] Rev 2 / Rev 3 Block Comparison - Pics inside - need Rev 3 Turbo Block Pic!

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Danbob

[Mk2] [Generic] Rev 2 / Rev 3 Block Comparison - Pics inside - need Rev 3 Turbo Block Pic!

Post by Danbob »

Here are some photos comparing a Rev 2 Turbo Block and a Rev3 NA Block

I'm trying to figure out the best combination of Inlet manifold support bars for a gen 2 engine running a gen 3 Turbo head.

You can see the threaded holes on the Gen 3 NA block are unfortunately different to the Gen 2 Turbo block

Can anybody with a Gen 3 TURBO engine block post a photo of the inlet manifold side?
I want to check if the turbo Gen 3 block is exactly the same as the Gen 3 NA block

Also anybody else who's fitted a Gen 3 head - did you find a good way to make the inlet mani supports work?

Thanks!
Dan

Gen 2 Turbo Block

Gen 3 NA Block
Danbob

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Rev 2 / Rev 3 Block Comparison - Pics inside - need Rev 3 Turbo Block Pic!

Post by Danbob »

Somebody who's built a Rev 3 engine must have taken a snap shot of the block on an engine stand??

Unfortunately google images keeps showing me the turbo side ](*,)

Cheers
Danbob

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Rev 2 / Rev 3 Block Comparison - Pics inside - need Rev 3 Turbo Block Pic!

Post by Danbob »

Bump, anybody got a photo of a rev 3 block turbo side?
Danbob

Post by Danbob »

Bump up - Can anybody show a photo of a Rev 3 turbo block, Inlet side?
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

I don't have a pic, but I did fit a rev 3 head onto a rev 2 block once, and I just didn't bother with any inlet manifold supports.

Don't know if that helps at all, but seeing as no-one has answered you since January... it might be better than nothing :)
January 2014
..the only thing I can promise for sure is slow progress.

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...
craig

Post by craig »

My old Rev 3 turbo block inlet side on the stand.

CalMac

Post by CalMac »

I'm having the same issue at the moment, trying to re-assemble a rev 3 turbo engine and figured out where the two long supports go but I've got two short ones left and no idea how they fit?!
Danbob

Post by Danbob »

Thank you! That's exactly what I needed!

And it's good news, because it looks like the Rev 3 Turbo block as almost identical to the Rev 2 Turbo block, despite the Rev 3 NA block being very different.

So if I find some Rev 3 Manifold supports they should hopefully bolt straight up.

Danbob

Post by Danbob »

CalMac wrote:I'm having the same issue at the moment, trying to re-assemble a rev 3 turbo engine and figured out where the two long supports go but I've got two short ones left and no idea how they fit?!

There are lot's of braces around the 3SGTE. On the Rev 2 there is a short one from block to driveshaft support bearing, short one to the alternator bracket I think and a short one up to the engine mount on the transmission side

Return to “Mechanical”