[FINALIZED] Caribbean Blue - Rev 3 Turbo tin top - Crash damaged - (break or repair)

MR2s for sale - all versions & variants

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

_Al_

Caribbean Blue - Rev 3 Turbo tin top - Crash damaged - (break or repair)

Post by _Al_ »

Edit: the more I investigate this car the less fundamental the damage seems to be. I've updated the thread title to reflect this and will post again once I've resolved those issues that I can tackle myself, then got a formal quote from at least two professionals for the rest.

Edit 2: In addition to the above, due to work commitments I will be unable to arrange viewings from tomorrow (6th Feb) until the 14th Feb.

Welcome!

A bit of background first... Recently I bought this;

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=182726

It's a car which has been owned by members on here and MR2OC. It has attended club meets and as a result a good number of members of both clubs have spent time with it and even worked on it. I consulted these guys widely before buying it and it was heartily recommended.

It has a string of rolling road prints showing 255bhp, a hybrid turbo, an AVC-R, a blitz turbo timer, Berk exhaust (minor damage to flexi), Japspeed Decat, HKS BOV, Lockwood dials, strut braces front and rear (cusco I think) quad brake light conversion, overhauled gearbox, grooved brakes, Toyota car mats, four fresh tyres, 17 inch alloys, USDM red rear corners, working air con, a double-DIN stereo and aftermarket speakers.

There's possibly a fair few more bits I haven't thought of. It was serviced around 3 months back by the PO and had the geo done just before I bought it (as I mentioned that the handling seemed a bit odd). Since owning it I've replaced the cam case breather hose (£2.78 but a hell of a job without taking the engine apart!).

I test drove this car three times before buying and the PO was perfectly happy to allow me to perform any test I saw fit. I stripped out the interior to check the inner sills, I stripped out the boot to check for accident damage and would have done the same in the frunk but for the remains of a huge sound system, which blocked everything up.

I even swapped it's alloys (one of which is buckled) for my stock wheels to check the handling. It all seemed fine, so I bought it.

Sadly, when I got it over a pit at OC-member Stu's place an initially good-looking car turned out to have a nightmare history behind it.

The car has experienced a front end smash, which was privately bodge-repaired rather than taking it through the insurance. I have no doubt whatsoever that it would have been a write-off if they'd done it properly.

Instead the suspension control arm has been cut and welded two inches shorter;

..the body mount bracket has been bent, and welded back onto the snapped bolt stud rather than bolted through the captive nut. Of the three remaining bolts, one (the one shown next to the bodge weld in this image) has failed and is no longer "captive" therefore no longer holding the bracket on.

The chassis cross beam which it bolts up to has sheared at the front face on one end and they didn't even try to re-attach it (though having looked again I now believe that the other faces are still secure, so it's perhaps not *quite* as bad as I thought).

The lower arm attachment to the shell has also been bodged, though at least this looks like it's not going anywhere.

Driver side - (stock):

Passenger side - (bodged):

Looking at the history folder it has had a complete front end respray in 2010 so I'm guessing that the damage happened around then. It's certainly not recent as the welds are filthy and rusty - they'd never have been able to weld parts in this condition.

There are other problems which I can't take photos of. The bonnet / driver's side wing shut gap is very wide, implying that the problem is worse than "just" the suspension, there's a barely detectable "ripple" in the roof on the driver's side and the windscreen leaks from the passenger side - implying that the screen isn't sitting properly in it's sealant. Most likely the frame is subtly bent.

In summary, we have a nicely tuned, freshly serviced car - which in my humble opinion isn't safe to be on the road without a complete re-shelling.

Strangely it seems to pass MOTs routinely (and not just at one "tame" garage either - it's been inspected in both England and Ireland). I guess you have to really know these cars to spot the problem..? All I can say is "forget service history - have any car inspected professionally before you buy it".

To ensure everyone has the facts - in case I've missed anything - here's a link to my project thread on MR2OC -http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/125/162431.html

For reference, here's the PPPO's ad - http://www.mr2.ie/mr2-forum/6-buy-swap- ... price-drop

I'm planning to recover as much cash as I can out of this little disaster, so if anyone is looking for a mega project (to re-shell it and put it back on the road) or a donor car that you can test-run rather than just trusting someone that the engine / box is good, then this could be for you.

I'd like £2,250 for it, including all upgrades.

Given the condition of the mechanicals and the nice extras it has that doesn't seem unreasonable. Unlike the previous seller I will listen to sensible offers, however I'm not going to let it go for silly money as I'd be happy to make a project of it myself come summer..

If anyone wants the car without the bolt on extras such as AVC-R, strut braces, stereo etc then I'd be willing to negotiate on that basis as well, but I'm not breaking it for spares so please hold off on requests for piecemeal parts. If I do make a project out of it myself I'll want a fair few of them, so they'll be sold with the car itself or only after I've seen what I need on my next car..

Thanks for reading!

Edit - would probably help if I provide a phone number.... 07595 716 213
The car is in Enfield, Middx. Best to view it at the weekend as the car park behind my flats has no lighting.
Last edited by _Al_ on Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
puku

Re: [FINALIZED] Caribbean Blue - Rev 3 Turbo tin top - Crash damaged - (break or repair)

Post by puku »

You got pm :)
_Al_

Re: [FINALIZED] Caribbean Blue - Rev 3 Turbo tin top - Crash damaged - (break or repair)

Post by _Al_ »

Received and replied.

Just to reduce the number of enquiries that I'm getting;

1) Yes it does still drive, but not very well. The handling is Not Good At All. It would not (in my opinion) be suitable even for track use only.

2) It may be repairable without re-shelling but you would need to seek expert advice. I'm not able to offer any guarantees on what it will take to make it safe.

3) I do not want to break it for parts at this time. I would prefer to sell it whole.

4) If I do reach the point where I wish to break it for parts I will post a separate thread listing the parts for sale, as there are many that I will keep for myself. I'm sorry but I just can't keep track of everyone asking for dibs via PM / email / text etc.

5) I do have the V5. The V5 does not show the car as a total loss nor any other Cat-C or Cat-D repair. I don't have knowledge of there being any other record of it being written off. That doesn't mean that there isn't one - but I haven't found it.

Hope this helps. Any other questions then please feel free to get in touch.

Alan
Rev5GT

Tubby

Post by Rev5GT »

PM'd
stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

A more honest seller you will not find.

This car looks fantastic. It's such a shame about the accident damage and poor repair. Here's hoping something good comes from the parts.

GLWS
_Al_

Post by _Al_ »

Thanks Stu :)

I just got in from work and will start responding to PMs when I've had something to eat.

In response to another question - these are the inner sills.

Unfortunately the foam was still in there and quite damp on one side (presumably because of the leaky windscreen and the amount of rubber bungs that had been removed to install the sound system).

With those issues fixed, and given that it's a tin top, the rate of rust should hopefully fall to the same as the other side - i.e. virtually zero in 19 years..

Another one - this is the stereo;

I haven't tested the CD player yet. Will head out there later if I have time.

One loose bolt on decat pipe as mentioned in the project thread on MR2OC:

The wear to the flexi section of the Berk:

Also - the car has an Apexi induction kit.

And finally..... "What I wish I'd seen"... This was all covered by the monster sound system..

Damage to bumper end of the frunk:

Twisted metal in the base of the frunk:

DB Mr2

Post by DB Mr2 »

Good luck with sale. I very nearly went to view this when it was for sale near me and was on ebay. I hope the engine and parts find a good home and you get yourself the turbo you been looking for :thumleft:

Regards,
Dan
_Al_

Post by _Al_ »

Thanks Dan, sounds like you dodged a bullet! :)

I'm still looking for that perfect turbo.. I suspect that I'll wait till I have a house with a garage then go mental on the perfect JDM Rev 5.

In the meanwhile I may dabble in a mk3 just for the hell of it. :)
doogal44

Post by doogal44 »

Looked at this yesterday and have to say it's not as bad as al is saying.
Yes it has issues that need fixing asap but the body looks to have been straightened enough that it is repairable and won't require a reshell.
Went for a drive and it is worth every penny al is asking even with the issues.
Sadly out of my budget for car and repairs but will be a great project for someone.
_Al_

Post by _Al_ »

Thanks for posting :)

It's probably true, I have been overly pessimistic with the ad, I just don't want someone looking at it and thinking "great, cheap tubby" then ending up in a hedge a few weeks later.

I'm having it professionally assessed this weekend (assuming tht work doesn't eat all my time).

Hopefully it'll be as you say Aaron and it's not too bad..
_Al_

Post by _Al_ »

Note: courtesy of EE my phone has died and won't be working for the next 3-10 days. I'll be checking PMs occasionally but aside from that I'm basically off the grid for now!
_Al_

Post by _Al_ »

Phone is back on line. :)

Found the geo print...

Also took her for a run up the road earlier just to stop everything seizing up..

Next steps for this will be to try and fit a replacement suspension arm and see what happens. If the wheel lines up neatly where it should then the repair starts to look a lot more manageable...

In other news - found and fixed a coolant leak this weekend. Details on the MR2OC project thread. :)
beno255

Post by beno255 »

pm sent :thumleft:
_Al_

Post by _Al_ »

Replied. :)
Draven

Post by Draven »

Pm'ed
_Al_

Post by _Al_ »

Also replied. :)

Back at the weekend..
_Al_

Post by _Al_ »

Deposit taken.
Feedback Bot

Post by Feedback Bot »

This Sale has been completed. The Buyer was Krish

Return to “MR2s for Sale”