OEM Style Boost Gagues

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

androo007

OEM Style Boost Gagues

Post by androo007 »

Hi Gents,

I'm looking to update the rather rubbish boost gague thats in my rev 3, but im desperate to only go for an OEM+ look, so no horrible pods or runnish stuck on things anywhere.

Where I'm stuck is......

Is the standard mechanical or Electronic?

What can people recommend?

Pictures on a postcard :mrgreen:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: OEM Style Boost Gagues

Post by Ryan S »

Stock one is electrical, go to r-spec.co.uk and buy one of their 45mm gauges, once you take the lens of it it's perfect fit into the OEM slot, looks muuuuch better than omori etc, it actually looks totally OEM, the only thing is it lights up amber and that's the only option available :(

available in Bar or PSI :thumleft:

http://rspec.co.uk/performance-gauges/4 ... tor-series
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Yeah 45mm and some time and effort's and its a good'n ... :thumleft:
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Perfect!!

So is it easy to change over? Any drilling, wiring or whatnot needed?

Just face off and plug in?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

androo007 wrote:Perfect!!

So is it easy to change over? Any drilling, wiring or whatnot needed?

Just face off and plug in?

You'll need to extend the wires for the boost gauge which is obviously a piece of p1$$. Taking the lens off the gauge is easy, just a tiny screwdriver and pry around the edges, you'll see what i mean once you have it. There is a small issue with the wee light tunnels for the indicators, you kinda need to break these a wee bit (to get the new gauge to fit) so your indicator dash light now shows as green. these wee tunnels keep the light from other areas out so your indicator dash light appears as black, with these broken the light gets into them. I coloured mine in with black marker :thumleft:
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Grill, thanks man much appreciated. Wonder if the unit comes apart to change the filter from amber to white....
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

androo007 wrote:Grill, thanks man much appreciated. Wonder if the unit comes apart to change the filter from amber to white....

unfortunately not, it's not a filter, the LED is amber and by the looks of it (i had a broken one to take apart) you'd need to solder a new one in which is near impossible as the needle does not come off regardless how hard you try, you will end up breaking it :(

EDIT: it's also tiny!! i could hardly find it!
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Ahhh never mind. Still love the look and it's gotta be better than the laggy rubbish stock one! It doesn't even move until I'm in + pressure!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

androo007 wrote:Ahhh never mind. Still love the look and it's gotta be better than the laggy rubbish stock one! It doesn't even move until I'm in + pressure!

yeah the stock one is garbage mate, your only real option would be to make the rest of your dials amber, the gauge sticks out like a sore thumb, you could try adding a wee filter but i tried it with some blue and it hardly lit up at all :( there's plenty space for a wee filter, the blue i used was pretty dark too.
craig

Post by craig »

Another option, is what I have fitted to mine, EMS red digital boost gauge:

androo007

Post by androo007 »

Ah that's nice man, but I wanna try and stay OEM looking if I can. Thanks for the suggestion though! Looks ace
craig

Post by craig »

androo007 wrote:Ah that's nice man, but I wanna try and stay OEM looking if I can. Thanks for the suggestion though! Looks ace

No prob dude :D
androo007

Post by androo007 »

sheppy wrote:
androo007 wrote:Ahhh never mind. Still love the look and it's gotta be better than the laggy rubbish stock one! It doesn't even move until I'm in + pressure!

yeah the stock one is garbage mate, your only real option would be to make the rest of your dials amber, the gauge sticks out like a sore thumb, you could try adding a wee filter but i tried it with some blue and it hardly lit up at all :( there's plenty space for a wee filter, the blue i used was pretty dark too.

Think I might get myself an early Xmas present! Thanks for the advice dude
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

No probs man. Just be gentle when removing the lens. It's a sturdy wee unit but the needle etc is exposed once you get the lens off :thumleft:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

RedMR² wrote:Another option, is what I have fitted to mine, EMS red digital boost gauge:

That looks super , Craig :clap:
BLZ-8027

Post by BLZ-8027 »

ive got an old white backing to the dials if you want it to play with
tubby_tony

Post by tubby_tony »

Absolutely nothing wrong with the omori gauge and my indicator lights still work perfectly.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

tubby_tony wrote:Absolutely nothing wrong with the omori gauge and my indicator lights still work perfectly.

it doesn't look anywhere near as OEM as the prosport gauge IMO. Doesn't look bad of course, just not as nice or as OEM looking as the prosport guage, also, easier to get hold of and cheaper than the omori :thumleft:
craig

Post by craig »

2mad wrote:
RedMR² wrote:Another option, is what I have fitted to mine, EMS red digital boost gauge:

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://twosrus.com/catalog/images/mr2_c ... auge_8.jpg

That looks super , Craig :clap:

Yeah, does look pretty good. Also available in blue. :thumleft:
jon

Post by jon »

I replaced the circuit board that drives the stock boost gauge with my own board with an AVR. The boost gauge is much more responsive now and it's now calibrated exactly how I want it to be. It's driven from the same MAP sensor signal the ECU uses for fuelling so it's give a good indication of what boost the ECU is actually seeing :D

I was planning on making the software and hardware open source if anyone is interested?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”