[Mk2] [NA] Mr2 G-limited 3sge mk2 Ignition problem?

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

rawwwrs

[Mk2] [NA] Mr2 G-limited 3sge mk2 Ignition problem?

Post by rawwwrs »

Hi guys I renewed all ignition parts on the mr2 today and the car is still cutting out and running rough also its not starting. I just had the ignitor/ignition module today and the symptoms stil persist but it feels like the mis fire isnt as frequent like before. I had to grind the old ignitor off as the screws were nackered but took the level off the plate my mistake where the ignitor screws go through on 1 side. Due to this the ignitors 1 side isnt properly touching the metal its a paper thin piece game it sits on just like the coil pack. Does the ignitor module need to be earthed and propery tight to the frame just like the coil or doesnt it matter if it does do oyu think that slight gap is causing the car to not start sometimes and cut out on me. Any thoughts I would appreciate it thank you.
Mullen

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Mr2 G-limited 3sge mk2 Ignition problem?

Post by Mullen »

I don't know wether the ignitor needs earthing or uses the cage but would think as long as one side is done up properly it should be fine.

People seem to suggest checking all the earths in the engine bay when cars cut out, [even though all ignition parts have been replaced] as apparently that can cause it too.

Also worth bearing in mind that just because a part is new doesn't mean it's good.

Have you checked your ECU for blown/leaky capacitors yet?
rawwwrs

Post by rawwwrs »

Yer I will look at earths etc and im guessing so but dont know if its used for just a stand just like you said. erm i havent checked ecu what am i supposed to look for as I am unaware of ecu issues to solve etc.
Mullen

Post by Mullen »

The ECU is in the boot mounted on the firewall. Open it up and have a good look at the capacitors, etc. It should be fairly obvious if something is wrong, scorching, any sort of discharge, etc.
rawwwrs

Post by rawwwrs »

Ok cheers pal is that in the rear or the front by battery. Also I would like to ask if the tps is out of adjustment can that cause no start and cutting out. I know the engine man light is on or off but its always on now and again it did go off but it does dim and flicker to but very rarely other than that its on constant any ideas.
Mullen

Post by Mullen »

Boot is rear, frunk is front, so Boot, behind the carpet on the left hand side of the firewall for the ECU.

You should check for error codes too - if your engine management light is on it's trying to tell you something.

www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2-knowledge-b ... bartid=162
rawwwrs

Post by rawwwrs »

ahh yes mr2 is the same even with engine in back lol and i checked for error codes but no codes were present which was odd any suggestions.
rawwwrs

Post by rawwwrs »

I just connected te1 and e1 and engine light was still.
rawwwrs

Post by rawwwrs »

Ok guys found the problem. My Ecu had burnt out last rev 2 of G Limited are known for Ecu fails. I have now replaced my 156bhp ecu with a 197bhp ecu from a 1997-1998 import g limited with a mod. Done a dyno after fitted and im now pushing 205bhp im one happy guy this is such a big improvement car is fast. Thank you for all your help guys appreciate it
acf8181

Post by acf8181 »

205bhp?!!! added a turbo as well?!
rawwwrs

Post by rawwwrs »

No Turbo Mr2 g limited import 1998 ecu is a standard 197BHP. Due to my 156BHP burning out I put the 197BHP on mine The guy who I had it off got it mapped. Its nice to have a turbo but I dont really need one because what I got out of my NA import. Im very please with the results. Its very well worth it mate but they are had to come by the 197BHP the g limits come with 156BHP 180BHP and 197BHP.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

rawwwrs wrote:No Turbo Mr2 g limited import 1998 ecu is a standard 197BHP. Due to my 156BHP burning out I put the 197BHP on mine The guy who I had it off got it mapped. Its nice to have a turbo but I dont really need one because what I got out of my NA import. Im very please with the results. Its very well worth it mate but they are had to come by the 197BHP the g limits come with 156BHP 180BHP and 197BHP.

So you have a BEAMS ECU on a non-BEAMS engine?

205bhp on a stock rev2 N/A engine? Sorry, not possible.

BEAMS ECU uses distributorless ignition.

BEAMS ECU uses standalone cam sensor.

BEAMS ECU uses vvti.

Toyota ECU s can't be remapped the guy you got it off was talking b0ll0x.

Last edited by Peter Gidden on Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

If only power were that easy & cheap!! :lol:
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

rawwwrs wrote:Ok guys found the problem. My Ecu had burnt out last rev 2 of G Limited are known for Ecu fails. I have now replaced my 156bhp ecu with a 197bhp ecu from a 1997-1998 import g limited with a mod. Done a dyno after fitted and im now pushing 205bhp im one happy guy this is such a big improvement car is fast. Thank you for all your help guys appreciate it

As you have had it on the dyno can we see the print out?
I have only seen one print out for over 200 bhp from an na (but seen a few claims).
Have you got a picture of the ecu fitted showing the model number and any wiring mods you made to fit it?
RyanRs wrote:
Skywalker wrote:explain how the coolant leaves the expansion tank and goes back into the coolant system?

Seriously , you don't know the answer to this? and you call yourself a car mechanic :shock:
acf8181

Post by acf8181 »

madbasshunter wrote:

As you have had it on the dyno can we see the print out?

this ^

don't think we ever will though, as suspect he's been had by the bloke selling him the ecu
acf8181

Post by acf8181 »

...of course the dyno could have been calibrated 'ambitiously' of course! lol

Return to “Electrical”